Music (Video) Monday – Tap Dancing in Elevators

16 Apr

Once upon a time, there was a girl who really really liked movie musicals.  And by “liked”, I mean “loved”.  Hey, if I ruled the world, it would be perfectly normal to burst into a song and dance routine any time, any place.

This girl also had (and still has) a bad habit of talking too much when meeting new people.  Which she is still trying to work on, but realized as well that “talking too much” is a genetic thing in her family and it may be too late to outgrow it.

So one day, the girl went off to college.  All fresh-faced and 17 and nervous about having to make new friends.  During an orientation weekend lunch, where they served bad burgers in a big tent, the girl sat down with others from her dorm.  One girl started talking about “Phantom of the Opera”, which our girl was slightly obsessed with and so of course started to speak about excitedly and with too many words.

Down the table from her was another girl – we’ll call her Jennifer (okay, ALL my college friends are named Jennifer – get used to it.)  Jennifer saw this girl babbling excitedly while using many MANY words and may have thought “Yikes.”  But then Jennifer caught wind of the conversation, heard this girl talking and realized that the babbling girl knew her stuff.  There were some smarts behind the babble.  And so Jennifer decided to give the babbling but smart girl a shot.

Yes, this girl was me.  Me with my babbling ways and love of musicals.  Luckily, Jennifer was also a fan of the musical genre and so we became friends.

However, what sealed our friendship was a moment shared in an elevator.  We stepped in on the ground floor, pushed “4”, the doors closed, and at the same time Jennifer and I started tap dancing in the elevator.  We gasped at each other with “OMG! You know the movie? No one has ever heard of it!”

The movie in question – “Thoroughly Modern Millie” – which has become a stage version.  But as of my freshman year of college, most people I knew didn’t know it.  In the beginning of the movie, there’s a scene where new girl Mary Tyler Moore gets into the elevator with Millie (Julie Andrews) who explains the elevator only works if you tap dance in it because of two show girls practicing their routines in there.  Of course, I picked up the strange habit of randomly tap dancing in elevators.  Because I was a strange strange teenager.

So to get into an elevator and have someone else tap dance with me?  Was an awesome moment where we knew that we were going to be good friends.

And this week, that particular Jennifer, with whom I’ve been friends with for 21 years now (holy crap!) is flying over to visit me!  So in her honor, today I present the elevator scene from the movie musical “Thoroughly Modern Millie” – and may I suggest that the next time you find yourself in an elevator, do a little time step.  It’s really quite fun.

About these ads

12 Responses to “Music (Video) Monday – Tap Dancing in Elevators”

1. charlie April 16, 2012 at 8:51 am #

Delightful! I’m old enough to be your mother, but I’m positive we would have been great friends. I only wish I had had a friend who ‘got’ musicals. I still break into “Sadie, Sadie,” from “Funny Girl” when I think about how fortunate I am to have been married for 30 years.

2. Audrey April 16, 2012 at 9:21 am #

This is awesome! Sounds like you two were destined to be friends with a meeting like that. :) Enjoy your time together, it will be wonderful!!

3. ntouch2cher April 16, 2012 at 9:35 am #

Love it, love the movie and have a wonderful visit with your special friend:)

4. Christine April 16, 2012 at 9:47 am #

Ironically, I met the very same Jennifer at yet another beginning-of-college meal, at which she, apropos of nothing, just burst into “Les Poissons” from “The Little Mermaid”, which I actually had not yet seen. Being rather quiet at the time, I was a little taken aback & also rather entranced. I believe she introduced us. I hope the two of you have a wonderful, restful, dancing-in-the-elevator, singing-with-gusto time together. Sing a song & knock back a beer for me.

• phoebz4 April 16, 2012 at 9:50 am #

Our Jennifer sure knows how to make impressions, lol! FYI, we’re setting up a Paypal account for bail money donations….

5. Karen April 16, 2012 at 10:14 am #

West Side Story…different musical, but just as much fun when you break into song and dance. And I’m old enough that I saw the original when it first came out…sigh. I agree with your idea that it should be perfectly normal to break into song and dance in our lives…lol!

6. Courtenay Bluebird April 16, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

Ah this was PERFECT for Monday. Thank you, Ms. Phoebe!

I loved the story and the clip— I, too, know many Jennifers. They all have nicknames now. I also knew a good number of Sinéads from the step-dancing world. They do not have nicknames, as far as I can remember. So many Jennifers/Sinéads in those days!

Ah, this post really rounded out my day. You are lovely!

7. bodi April 17, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

Is this *our* Jenn that is coming to see you?? She hadn’t told me!! OMG, you MUSt go down to the pub at least once and raise a glass for me, too!

****hugs**** so, so jealous, wish I could be there with you guys!

Love you both to pieces …

Oh, and tell yourSean “rock”.

• phoebz4 April 17, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

Yes, Our Jenn! We shall toast you many many times this upcoming week :D

Oh, and Maura now plays RPS – and she always wins, lol!

8. Jennifer Erickson April 17, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

I love you!! I’m another Jennifer. There were 9 of us in my very small college freshman class. 7 of us all had work studies in the library. There really wasn’t an elevator on campus. But the love of musicals, talking too much, and tap dancing…just about everywhere.. you could be me.

9. lexiemom April 18, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

Fabulous scene, and what a Fabulous to start a friendship! I hope you are great friends for another 21 years! Have fun!

10. Megan Luck April 24, 2012 at 12:54 am #

I wish you lots of fun with your dear friend! Those was such a cute scene I now must rent the movie to watch the whole thing!