A much needed little “big” moment

27 Jul

It’s been a long week in my world.  My husband’s family lost two of their own, fathers and grandfathers, who were greatly loved and will be greatly missed, but leave great legacies in the children they raised.  Then yesterday, I woke up to the news that the seven year old daughter of a friend, an amazing little girl with a smile to rival Maura’s, passed away suddenly.

Alyssa was the darling of our online community of sewers and crafters and yarnaholics. We were there when she was born, when they realized that something more was going on with her, and were there throughout the next seven years, as we watched Alyssa defy odds and grow and thrive and overcome challenges with a smile on her face and two proud parents behind her, smiling as well. She was an amazing little girl who touched so many of us, and now we are stunned by her sudden loss.  These times make a person feel helpless, so we’re doing what we can to help out her family by fundraising for funeral expenses.  I don’t have a lot to share, but I can share the links  –  to make a donation simply either send money via PayPal to FundForAlyssa at gmail.com (replace “at” with @, remove spaces of course) or you can go through the Go Fund Me that has been set up: http://www.gofundme.com/c5wyn0  – every little helps, and all is appreciated.

Needless to say, I spent part of yesterday snuggling Maura.  Maura loves snuggle time, and being spoiled, and so she was just fine with all the extra attention.  We watched My Little Pony and she stole my Kit Kat bar, and still, she got to be princess for the day.

This morning, I woke up and realized I had no milk for my coffee. Maura was watching “The Magic School Bus” on my computer, which I had plans for.  Of course, my computer plans also contained “Drinking coffee while at computer”, so I lured her away from said computer with a trip to Starbucks.

Maura was delighted with the idea of Starbucks, and I am still delighted by the fact that the closest one is a drive-thru.  I placed our order and Maura giggled at something.  I asked her what she saw, and she said “Coffee!”  I laughed.  Yes, there was coffee.  I was impressed with the answer, and once again wondered if the seizure medication weaning we’re going through is allowing her brain to move a bit faster.

When we returned home, I used the moment to tell her I needed my computer, and she could use her iPad to watch her shows.  She got dramatic, sobbing as she threw her arms around me.  I’m used to her high dramas, and just laughed, gave her a kiss on the head, and said “I still love you.”

“I love you too.” she responded.

It was a little moment.  A little moment in time we’ve done a million times.  She gets dramatic and cries and hugs me, and I tell her I love her.

But this time, I got words back.

This is only the second time in 11 years I’ve gotten an “I love you” from Maura.  I know she loves me, words aren’t necessary, but today?  Today they were much appreciated.

Oh, she still didn’t get my computer.  I’m not that much of a softie! But after extra-long squeeze, she happily settled down with her “coffee”, muffin and iPad, and was all better. And after a week of anxiety and sadness, I’m feeling better too.  Four little words, one little moment, now forever in my memories.

10556251_10152268964432513_124853311910007989_n

About these ads

12 Responses to “A much needed little “big” moment”

1. Alzbeta July 27, 2014 at 1:07 pm #

Oh, gosh… melt my heart.

2. Wendy Carroll July 27, 2014 at 1:13 pm #

Oh, I know that moment. Brief but enormous.

3. DebP July 27, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

Melted mine also! Sweet victories come in small words.

4. saracvt July 27, 2014 at 1:44 pm #

Y’know your theory about the seizure meds not letting her brain move as fast? It’s POSSIBLE.

Just a short time ago, I discovered through my own research that the seizure meds I had been for nearly 12 years had caused “gradual mental slowing” (as per the home site for Topomax). Remember, these are brain drugs; the doctors generally want to stop the seizures first but no brain drug is going to not make its presence felt. Some ways are extremely subtle.

Anyway, after I found out about this, I called my neurologist ASAP and requested a med change. I now feel crisper and more…ME. It’s hard to explain, but friends and family have noticed the change, too. My husband even told me, “Welcome back!”

So maybe Maura is getting more coherent–it’s definitely a possibility. And maybe she just really loves you. :)

5. Tracie July 27, 2014 at 1:45 pm #

Oh My!! I am SO HAPPY for you! We all know our children love us but to actually HEAR it from them, when we never thought we would, is beyond words! Like my first ever hug from my than 8 year old…a treasured moment never to be forgotten! I look forward to the day I hear those 3 ‘little’ words and until than, I will take those hugs :)

6. Christine Phelan July 27, 2014 at 2:05 pm #

Thank you for sharing your world….. You make my day <3

7. franhunne4u July 27, 2014 at 2:49 pm #

Brought tears to my eyes – such a wonderful happy moment for you, more than just well-deserved. Hope you get to hear it a little more often now, though it is THAT special just because it is so rare.

8. Linda McDermitt July 27, 2014 at 4:42 pm #

I’m terribly sorry for the losses you’ve experience recently. I’m so glad for your “little” moment. I understand–like when Sarah gives me one of those rare, wonderful hugs out of the blue.

9. lexiemom July 28, 2014 at 8:44 am #

Thank you for sharing your moment with us. It warmed my heart and filled my eyes with tears.

10. Chasity July 30, 2014 at 2:32 pm #

I am so beyond happy that this transition is going well!

11. Charlotte Steggz August 1, 2014 at 6:10 pm #

That seems like a big big moment to me!
    I keep meaning to ask – have you read The Reason I Jump? It’s written by a boy with severe autism and explains what it’s like for him. I’m making my way through it right now and keep wondering if that’s what it’s like in Maura’s world.

12. mmiller August 2, 2014 at 3:02 pm #

What a beautiful moment! And she’s adorable! I hope one day to hear those very same words. :-)