Why I can’t go to the bathroom, reason #817

29 Jul

In a flight of fancy today, I thought I’d go brush my teeth.  At 12:20 p.m.  Just in case I ran into other human beings, you know.  I like to keep the standards high.

Sean – teen boy #2 – was cooking bacon.  He finished cooking said bacon and went to eat it, leaving the pan on the stove (don’t worry, I’ll make sure he gets to it eventually.)  I’ve wandered into the bathroom, doing such things as brushing teeth and hair, then return to the kitchen.

To find Maura standing there, eggs and butter on the counter, and her shaking her hands.

Shaking egg whites off her hand.

*sigh*

The good news is, she didn’t try to turn on the gas stove, which means she neither tried to set herself on fire, or gas us all.  And she used the bacon pan that was on the stove.  And really, she did a pretty decent job of cracking the egg.

She was quite proud of herself.  “Look! Egg!”

Yes dear.  Egg.  Heart attack.  The frightening realization that I can probably never sleep again, not after this week (she decided Sunday that she could just make popcorn…in the stovetop popper…on the stove…again, luckily, she didn’t turn on the gas stovetop.)

We’re now cooking a frozen pizza, after scrubbing her hands of egg whites and putting the eggs and butter away.  I’m also considering taking all the stove knobs off.  The problem is, even if I put them up high, she’ll figure out how to get them and try to put them back on to use.

I’m realizing that in a way, nothing is safe.  There’s a degree of constant vigilance we must keep with her, to keep her safe from her own self-assurance that she can do the things her siblings can.  I could lock up the whole kitchen…but I can’t.  It’s not that realistic.  Instead, it’s another lecture of “You have to ask Mommy or Daddy if you want to cook.”

Hopefully she’ll get this sooner than later, and before she sets something on fire.

You're cute, but you still can't cook!

You’re cute, but you still can’t cook!

About these ads

12 Responses to “Why I can’t go to the bathroom, reason #817”

1. Renee Anne July 29, 2014 at 5:07 pm #

I know there are covers that you can get for the knobs to deter little ones from trying to turn on the stove…perhaps that would work for Maura? Then again, she may figure it out :)

2. Rachael T July 29, 2014 at 7:37 pm #

She really is cute though, isn’t she! Probably her saving grace!

3. Amy Brinkman Brendtro July 29, 2014 at 11:30 pm #

We have two sweet hearts with special needs. For 4 years now I have had an added helper in the home– A 4 Paws for Ability service dog. She alerts (comes to me) at the first sign of suspicious activity. She tracks, tethers and does sensory input as well. The difference in our lives is… amazing.

• phoebz4 July 30, 2014 at 12:34 pm #

Hmmm…we do have two dogs already, both useless, lol! That is an idea.

4. itsybitsymom July 30, 2014 at 6:13 am #

I realize you can’t lock the whole kitchen, but how about taking the knobs off of the stove and locking them up? I know this is a very big pain, but you have been lucky so far – broken eggs are inconvenient to clean up but no one got hurt. Maybe the sharp knives too?

• phoebz4 July 30, 2014 at 12:35 pm #

I’d need a place to lock them up that she can’t get into, and I’m running out of those!

In Ireland, we could have locked up the kitchen….sigh…and turned off the stove with a switch….

• itsybitsymom July 31, 2014 at 6:15 am #

Have you seen the magnetic cabinet and drawer locks? They work like a traditional childproof lock in preventing the door/drawer from opening, but to release the lock inside the cabinetry you need a special magnetic key that you hold up to the outside of the cabinet. I know Toys R Us sells them and they look fairly easy to install.

5. alysinunderland July 30, 2014 at 10:06 am #

could Sean not have helped her to cook? And then made sure to tell her that if she wants to cook she needs to ask for help?

• phoebz4 July 30, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

Sean would have totally cooked for her, but he had left the room. So he had no idea what was happening. Both boys went running the day she tried to make popcorn on the stove and stopped her before anything happened, so they can be aware of these things ;)

6. Cyndi July 30, 2014 at 10:43 am #

She is adorable! And you have to admire the independence.

• phoebz4 July 30, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

Yep – that’s the hardest part – we want her to be independent…but it’s really scary!