What to do, what to say…

11 Jan

All this blog traffic has got me thinking,  “What shall I blog about?”

Do I blog about how for the first time in…um…yeah…I not only got my Christmas decorations up in a timely manner, but I also took them down in a timely manner?  (Okay, today.)  Which is a huge accomplishment in my world.

Do I reach down into my inner depths and come up with something thought-provoking?  With Spongebob on the telly?  Yeah, that’s not happening.  One cannot think deep thoughts while Spongebob is crying over not being able to go to work.

Do I try to clear up misconceptions about what people are saying about how I view Maura all over the interwebs?  Tempting…but again, Sponebob the Brain Cell Killer is on tv.

Do I talk about how to sit on the couch today, I had to move a laptop, three penguin dolls and a lunch box? Or how Halloween decorations are now on my table because I put them in the Christmas storage boxes “for the time being”, and now need to find a new box?

Maybe I should talk about this puppy, who is attached to our ankles at all times and wants one of us within sight at all times.  Separation anxiety much Zoey?  Or how good she was at Show and Tell today, shaking Mim’s hand when asked, and then stuck her paw out for another “shake”.  Or how worried I was that she’d pee in the school, but thank goodness didn’t.

Or I could just post this picture of Miriam’s hand, which in her new-found love of astronomy, she decorated with a slew of stars…yeah, I think I’ll do that.  Genius doesn’t happen every day you know!

note the fingernails, each painted with a different sparkly color.

22 Responses to “What to do, what to say…”

1. Leslie Payne January 11, 2012 at 2:36 pm #

Love the nail colors!!! Good job miriam! And I will trade ya a year old dog who refuses to potty train for a puppy with potential any day lol.

• phoebz4 January 11, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

we had one of those, thanks but no thanks! LOL!

2. Gail Jones January 11, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

I dont think you need to clear up anything….its no one’s business and you dont need to justify anything to anyone. They dont live your life, you do! Families with a special needs child are never looked at the same as a “normal” family anyway. I can tell by your posts you love her just as much as you do your other children. Trust me I know because I live this kind of life too. Wouldnt change it but I am allowed to get frustrated. Again thanks for your posts!

3. michelle rieman January 11, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

oooooooo….i like the sparkles!

4. kathywenning January 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm #

Share your stories that’s what brought everyone here.

5. Lorraine January 11, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

No need to clear up anything as far as I am concerned. Those that ‘walk in the shoes’ will always understand the most!! The rest are on their own journey and will be able to ‘see’ or ‘not’ depending on where they are on that journey. Sharing your experience may or maynot make them think a bit; for me it confirms what is very real in our family’s like and many more! Thank you for being brave enough to share!!.

6. Laura Mills January 11, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

Unfortunately there will always be someone who just doesn’t “get it”. Don’t bother to respond to them. It will just make you crazy ( or in my case, crazier). LOL
    We all have our moments of brilliance. Just as we all have our moments of “D’oh”
    You hit on a subject that moved a lot of people. If you were to do that every day, we would make you move back to the states and put you in the White House. : – )
    Keep blogging!

• phoebz4 January 11, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

I’m too honest to win any election – LOL!

7. Jackie Brown (@_Jackie_Brown_) January 11, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

Like many others are saying there is no need for you to justify or explain anything. There is nothing malicious about your blogs or the one in question and this is your space where you write about what ever comes to mind, no one is obligated to read what is on your mind and if they have a problem with it they should just move on to the next thing they want and probably will have a problem with. There is clearly nothing but love in your family and that is all that matters. Your post about Maura was brilliant and as a mother with a daughter with Down syndrome I have tried many times to put into words what you did just a few weeks ago. We know our children best and no one in the world can hold them higher or love them more than we can. Just keep doing what your doing and posting what you post because they are great!

8. SaraCVT January 11, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

What’s really scary for me is that I know the Spongebob episode you are referring to, although, thankfully, my girls don’t watch Spongebob the Brain Cell Killer (think I’ll start calling him that!) much anymore. Now it’s “Good Luck, Charlie” and “Wizards of Waverly Place”. Oh, and “A.N.T. Farm”. Basically, Disney Channel live action shows. Your future, Phoebe. Isn’t it shiny?

By the way, you could blog about Great Big Sea. All of a sudden you have all these readers–I bet they’d just hear “Run Runaway” ONCE and they’d be in love. Oh, you pick the song. Or Maura. But you know what I mean.

• phoebz4 January 12, 2012 at 5:27 am #

But Sara, remember, Maura has a sister and can sing the theme songs to iCarly, Victorious, and could do the one for “Sunny with a Chance” until I banned Disney Channel (as a punishment to Miriam.) “Good Luck Charlie” isn’t too bad, but that new one? “Life with Boys”? The Over-Dramatic Reactions! to EVERYTHING just grates on my last nerve. “Wizards” has always been banned – the girl has such a crappy attitude on the show. No, give me Carly and Sam, and Spencer for the win!

Yes, I watch too much “tween” tv as well!

And yes, I could blog about GBS…I may have mentioned them once or twice before…LOL!

9. Carol Fast January 11, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

Start a rotation – put the Halloween decorations in the box for the valentines day decorations!

• phoebz4 January 12, 2012 at 4:03 am #

The Valentine’s stuff is in with the Easter stuff 😉

10. Mara January 11, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

Love the nails. Hate Sponge Bob;-)

11. audreygjohnson January 11, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

I think its a fabulous topic to post on! Great nail polish and your little astronomer is talented!

12. Megan Thoman-Slack January 12, 2012 at 12:17 am #

Love the nails 🙂

• phoebz4 January 12, 2012 at 5:22 am #

She borrowed my nail polish Meg 😉

13. ntouch2cher January 12, 2012 at 12:45 am #

Enjoyed this blog and love the starry fingernails…cool! Write whatever is in YOUR heart; you have an amazing way of writing and I can hear you talking and picking up things around the house and I can see you too. That`s a gift. Sharing here is our bonus.

As for your blog on Maura…good on you! I was so proud to share with my fb friends. I am a youth counsellor on an anonymous help line and it irks me to no end when youths call us from all ages (5-20) about their taunts and teasing. Kids usually do get it…but some adults don`t want to. That is not your point…you delivered an important message and a lot more than you realize “got it”. Bless you and keep on blogging when YOU feel like it.

14. Rachel January 12, 2012 at 9:54 am #

don’t mean to be nosy, but what are the red bumps on her hand?

• phoebz4 January 12, 2012 at 10:15 am #

those would be stars, dotted on with red pen. Of course.

15. jimswhimz January 15, 2012 at 9:35 pm #

Like many I picked you up after the post that took you viral. I found you through a FB friend who re-posted from another friend who heard about you blog. I guess that means we are 3rd cousin bloggers twice removed, but I digress. I found it interesting that you were stumped about what to write about now that you had a larger audience. I didn’t consider that possibility. I much like may novice bloggers just write some stuff that feels appropriate at the moment, and then excitedly check my views once or twice a day to see how much activity I’m getting. I figured if one day I looked and saw I had 1847 views (instead of 14) I’d be so excited I’d be a non-stop fountain of blogging content. I never considered the possibility that I’d wonder what to say. After thinking about you partially serious/partially rhetorical question here, I can only offer one piece of advice. Write about the same stuff you would write about if nobody was reading your blog. Isn’t that ultimately why we do this. To say what’s on our minds regardless of what anyone else might think. I’ve been enjoying following you and I wish you the best going forward. Have fun!

• phoebz4 January 16, 2012 at 4:59 am #

I did decide that I should just keep doing what I do (though I actually try to spell check and make sure my sentences make sense now!) My problem is that with all the responses, my brain goes “Oh, I could post about this or that, or maybe that…” and I don’t know which direction to go to. So I keep posting about kids and puppy and Starbucks and songs I like 🙂