Dear Starbucks

15 Jan

Thank you for your Starbucks Via packets.

No, really!

As a tired mom with four kids, and a new puppy, there are mornings I solely get up so I can turn on my shiny electric kettle, heat up water, open up a packet of your Via instant coffee and mix it with some milk and sugar.

See, when we moved to Ireland, we didn’t bring our coffee maker (it was leaking and it wouldn’t work here anyway.)  We had a French press, but no coffee grinder.  Then the French press got broken. My husband went on a six month journey to find a coffee grinder and coffee pot he actually wanted that wasn’t 500 euro.  Meanwhile, I had no coffee.

mmm...coffee

Now, I had tried your Via instant coffee when it first came out – picking up the mocha and caramel flavors.  I didn’t really like them and gave them to a friend.  But one day, while in line at Starbucks here, I saw just regular Via packets and thought “Oh, what the heck.”

Go figure, I like them.  I like them a lot.  I’m on my second cup today.

I’m no coffee aficionado.  I just want some brew in my big mug that’s caffeinated.   I usually stock different strengths, and keep little packets of the decaf version around for my one daughter, who has decided to be a coffee drinker as well.

But the highest praise came from my husband, who is a coffee aficionado, who stated “It doesn’t suck.”  It doesn’t suck enough that even now that he has a new French press and a coffee grinder, he will still opt for a cup of the Via once in a while.

So thank you, for making one little section of my life easier.  That said, it would be nicer if someone just delivered a mocha to my door every morning, but the only place I know of that loves me enough that they would do that for me, I left back in Michigan.

Note – I was not paid or compensated in any way for this review.  But if Starbucks wants to send me more coffee…well…I wouldn’t say no!

21 Responses to “Dear Starbucks”

1. Eileen Hegarty (@allovus) January 15, 2012 at 10:24 am #

OH Gee!!! our press is broken as well!! And I am having the most awful DTs~ To SBs i will go!! thanks!!!! ;)) [hope they send you stuff!!]

2. Renee Anne January 15, 2012 at 10:58 am #

I find this entertaining.

Speaking of coffee, we send my BIL & his wife a coffee subscription that shows up every month. Carol calls it the “coffee fairy”…..but they have a coffee maker and live here in the US.

I may have to try this Via stuff…we’ll see.

3. Mara January 15, 2012 at 11:06 am #

I am totally with you on the need for caffeine in the AM. Especially today, since my son who’s seven, had a hockey game at 6:40 am. Outside. In January. We live in Minnesota. Did I mention that he’s only SEVEN? Crazy hockey state…..

• phoebz4 January 15, 2012 at 11:54 am #

That’s just not right. I’m so glad none of mine wanted to play hockey while we were living in Michigan. Bad enough being snowed on during soccer games!

4. David L Allen January 15, 2012 at 11:18 am #

“It doesn’t suck.” LOL. You guys rock.

• phoebz4 January 15, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Well David, we no longer have our beloved Coffee Mill with their wide range of coffees to go to. So we’re slumming it at Starbucks 😉

5. ntouch2cher January 15, 2012 at 11:34 am #

Thanks! Did not realize that “instant” could be so good and if it’s Starbuck’s, I have a feeling it’s gonna be awesome…will check it out. Ummmm, you DO deserve a lil’ bonus from Starbuck’s:)

• phoebz4 January 15, 2012 at 11:51 am #

It wouldn’t hurt my feelings, lol!

6. denverlori January 15, 2012 at 11:36 am #

“it doesn’t suck” made me laugh!! I would die w/o my coffee– be strong!!!

7. Neva January 15, 2012 at 11:45 am #

I agree. It doesn’t suck and that was very surprising. They have an instant iced version too which comes in flavors and is pretty good too.
    I recommend a Keurig. Ideal for the busy Mom and doesn’t suck either.

• phoebz4 January 15, 2012 at 11:52 am #

I used to dream of a Keurig…but then a friend made the statement of “I don’t want my coffee filtered through soft plastic.” and I thought “Wow, didn’t consider that point.” So I’ll stick with my Starbucks – it’s probably cheaper in the long run anyway!

8. Nancy Spivey January 15, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

Fun post!

9. Janice January 15, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

The world in general needs me to have my coffee, and even though I’m not a fan of instant, we drank it in college a lot because we didn’t have a maker, so we just had to heat water in the microwave. It was definitely better than none at all.

I don’t know squat about Europe, but what about a percolator? You know–the old fashioned, heat on the burner kind. We use one for camping, and it actually turns out some pretty good brew.

• phoebz4 January 15, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

I have no idea if they have peculators here. I remember my grandparents had one – I thought it was the coolest thing. Eventually, it was replaced with a Mr. Coffee, which wasn’t as fun to watch. For now though, I’m find with my little instant coffee – I only need one cup (unlike my husband, who could happily put a straw in a full pot some days.)

10. Stacey January 15, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

They just opened a Starbucks aboard our Marine Corps base here in southern CA. I find a reason to go there–daily. 🙂 I wish I could ship you that daily morning mocha, but logistics tell me that probably won’t work. Coffee has been one of my biggest connectors to other military spouses. Coffee dates with fellow spouses during long deployments were a necessity to maintain sanity. It is nice to meet someone who also appreciates a good cup and keeps decaf on hand for the kids!

11. Deborah Hippler- Rohde January 16, 2012 at 7:39 am #

I’m with you on NEEDING my morning cuppa Joe. I cannot IMAGINE not having a coffee maker front and center in my kitchen. I didn’t know it would be so different in Europe.

I also think Starbucks could throw a little something something your way;-) My sister lives in Seattle ABOVE a Starbucks. She calls it her “office”. I’d. Call it my home!

12. Di January 16, 2012 at 8:15 am #

I laughed when I read this post…. Starbucks (instant coffee) has just arrived here in South Africa. How do I know? My friends are all a twitter about it on facebook! 🙂

13. Rachel January 17, 2012 at 9:12 am #

I keep a box of these in my office for an afternoon boost…..they do not suck

14. whirlwind151margaret January 18, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

We use those for when we go camping – so convenient!

15. Elaine Bradley January 19, 2012 at 11:38 pm #

I passed the link to that post to my friend Sharon who manages a Starbucks in Edgemont Canada – well, you NEVER know, she might take the hint and arrange some coffee to be sent to you. I am enjoying your blog a lot and have stuff in common with you and many of your – I was going to say readers, but fans fits too! I am from Dublin, one son of three has Down Syndrome, your post on driving in Dublin was a hoot. They introduced double red lines in the UK since I left, not sure if they have them in Ireland – still don’t know what the are for but my sister still calls them red yellow lines. I think I’d be a little freaked out driving in Michigan but am managing fine in Western Australia instead. Keep blogging.

• phoebz4 January 20, 2012 at 4:00 am #

No, no double red lines here…that I know of 😉 I have joked to my husband that we can now move to Australia since we have the right type of vehicle and I’m guessing the roads are wider too!

And if I end up with free coffee, I shall thank you 😉