The pancakes are back!

24 Jan

When I ran to the grocery store tonight, I walked in and there, on a display rack, were packaged pancakes.

Why yes, it’s time to start getting ready for Pancake Tuesday!

And all the Americans just said “Huh?”

Last February, when we arrived in Dublin and everything was still fresh and new and odd, we noticed right away that there were displays of packaged pancakes at the grocery store.  We weren’t sure why they sold “large American style pancakes” all packaged up, but we giggled over the name, bought some chocolate chip ones, and went back for more.

Then one day, while getting another package and still giggling over the “Large American” moniker, a woman next to me asked “Oh, is Pancake Tuesday this week?”

I told her honestly that I had no idea what Pancake Tuesday was.  She explained it was the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent.  I said “Oh, we call it Fat Tuesday.”

Sure enough, after Ash Wednesday, the pancakes pretty much disappeared from the shelves.  And we were a little sad.

I’ve known that the one year mark of our move was coming up.  While in a way, it feels like we’ve been here forever, it also is surprising that it’s almost a full year.  The sight of those pancakes were a reminder that it has been a year since we packed up life and moved it all.  I’m still trying to figure things out. I just got a library card today.  But at least I know why the shelves are full of pancakes at this time of year.

8 Responses to “The pancakes are back!”

1. Kathleen January 24, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

I’m a mother of three young men, one with intellectual disabilities.I started reading your blog after a friend of mine sent it to me. I love your writing, it is honest and compelling.
    I’m from Canada so I am also geting a kick out of the American in Ireland experience.
    Thanks for writing.
    Packaged pancakes, huh, who’d figure?

2. Sara Petersen January 24, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

Pancakes? Seriously? Well, I guess for those of us not near New Orleans and Mardi Gras, it’s a plausible alternative. And Olivia does quite like pancakes. But I think I’ll make ’em myself.

By the way, you have a banner saying “Stop Censorship” over the place one needs to click to leave comments. I eventually figured it out, but it is a bit confusing. I managed because I was familiar with the blog; a first-time reader may not have seen it at all.

• phoebz4 January 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

the censorship thing is for(against?) SOPA – but I think today was the day for the vote? I shall look into that.

And yes, pancakes. In Michigan, it was these Polish jam-filled donut things called Pączki. Which honestly? We never really cared for. Which is really odd as I adore jam-filled donuts!

3. Renee Anne January 24, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

That’s funny. I never would have imagined that it’s called something different than Fat Tuesday or that pancakes were a requirement on that day.

I’ll have to remember that…

4. Mara January 24, 2012 at 4:55 pm #

Do they taste good? Do they have maple syrup? The frozen ones in the US are icky….

• phoebz4 January 24, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

they do taste good – but it is hard to find maple syrup here.

• gryphonboy January 25, 2012 at 10:59 am #

Maple syrup is a bit of a luxury item in dublin. Our local market imports some from canada but it costs three times as much as ordinary syrup.

5. Shannon Smith January 24, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

I have a disability (I am Hard of Hearing) and am a department director at a disability rights agency (State of NM Commission for Deaf & Hard of Hearing).

I love the blog and have referred parents to it who are looking for an honest and humorous view on life.

Plus I’m Irish and would love to move to Ireland so I’m living vicariously through your blog.