Music Monday – “Hallelujah”

30 Jan

I think the first time I was exposed to this song, sadly, was while watching “Shrek”.   The next time I really noticed it was when KD Lang sang it during the Winter Olympics.  Then, somehow, it left my radar again.

It came back on my radar again, and I realized I needed this song – and then realized there are dozens of covers of it as well.   It was originally by Leonard Cohen – which is a much more bluesy feeling song than the covers I’ve been exposed to. The Jeff Buckley cover seems to be very popular version, one that the newer ones seemed to be based off of.  There’s even a cover of it by Bon Jovi. The one from “Shrek” is performed by Rufus Wainwright, in case you were wondering.

But the version I went with was Kate Voegele’s – the simplicity of the guitar and the fact that her version’s in my range sold it to me.  You know, usually, I’m not big on covers of songs – but with this one, it makes sense that someone who loves to sing would want to cover it.  And this way, a person can find their favorite version, like I did.

18 Responses to “Music Monday – “Hallelujah””

1. Lisa Jane January 30, 2012 at 7:10 am #

You should listen to Alexandra Burke’s one its pretty 😀

2. Vicki January 30, 2012 at 7:13 am #

Love this version! Might have hunt down a copy 🙂

• phoebz4 January 30, 2012 at 7:29 am #

iTunes 🙂

3. mumstimeout January 30, 2012 at 8:17 am #

That was so beautiful, sigh……….

4. Karlene Bradley January 30, 2012 at 8:54 am #

Beautiful song, so sad…….I got all misty-eyed listening to it. I like the Shrek version, too.

5. Nancy M January 30, 2012 at 9:33 am #

I will listen to this one later but KD’s still is the only one that has given me goosebumps so far. 🙂

• phoebz4 January 30, 2012 at 9:50 am #

she does do an amazing job with it, KD.

6. Laurie Matties January 30, 2012 at 9:42 am #

Love this version…have you heard The Canadian Tenor’s w/ Celine Dion sing this? Very moving.

7. t7kds January 30, 2012 at 11:07 am #

What a wonderful way to start a Monday. It’s a beautiful version.

8. Sunshyn January 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

If that’s in your range, I’m SO jealous! “Dr. Steve Hardy” (the younger; the elder has since passed on) actually sang a version on “General Hospital” not too terribly long ago, actually. This song has been around. And Leonard Cohen was mentioned on “Rolling Stone” a couple of issues back, still going strong in his 70s. I studied him when he was a poet (back in the moldy 1960s), then lost track until recently. Gawd, I feel OLD. (Lurker, first-time commenter…)

9. audreygjohnson January 30, 2012 at 3:30 pm #

Such a great song, glad you were able to rediscover it!

10. Siobhan Wolf January 30, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

My very favorite version of this song is by Il Divo and is sung in Spanish. Love that!

• jackie January 31, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

My all time favorite too……..and not bad to look at either!!

• Sunshyn February 1, 2012 at 11:29 am #

Il Divo gave me goosebumps on my goosebumps!

11. Sarah January 30, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

Love this song anyway anyhow anywhere anywho…and I also first heard it on Shrek!

12. Jessica January 31, 2012 at 8:49 am #

It’s a beautiful song! I heard it, I believe, on the radio and when I went to get it, it was available as part of the Shrek soundtrack. That was the last song I thought would be on Shrek but it’s still beautiful 🙂

13. Sunshyn January 31, 2012 at 11:41 am #

I just don’t remember this song being in “Shrek.” I youtubed it, and yep,there it is. I guess maybe that’s the part where we went potty… My kidlet would have been bored out of his gourd during that scene, especially that long ago! (He’s nine now and has autism…) Or maybe my memory is just really really bad (I told you I was old!) I also started learning to play it on guitar yesterday, so thanks TONS for that! BTW, I found you from your entry on the “r-word,” which I have facebooked and forwarded to a few insensitive folks, who have chosen to ignore me; their bad…) Take good care!

14. lexiemom February 8, 2012 at 1:01 am #

This is a beautiful version! Thanks for sharing it.
    I actually like the version by Justin Timberlake (of whom I am not usually a fan) that he did for Haiti relief. Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guL4KgkheoM