Dear Ulster Bank

21 Feb

I’m hoping that by writing this vent, my bank card will magically appear through my letter slot tomorrow morning.

You know – 3 months after I applied to get on the bank account my husband opened with you?

Three months ago, I finally got the right paperwork together to get on the account (after going in the first time with the waste disposal bill, which on your website was considered proof of address but in person at your bank did not qualify, which meant waiting a few more weeks to get officially on a different bill, and going in a second time only to realize I’d left my passport at home and therefore had no valid-to-you proof of identification.  Side Note – Irish Government – why issue us a card with name and address and all on it, and then state it can’t be used as an ID?)

Three months ago, I was told it would take a couple weeks to be fully on the account, card in hand.

Three. Months.  Ago.

November.

So in January, when I hadn’t heard a darn thing from you, I called the local branch.  Only to get routed to the main call line, only to be told they couldn’t help me, I had to talk to the local branch, so they took my information and said I’d hear back from them.  A week later, I tried again, got the same run around, and yet again, heard back from no one.  So after a few days, we went to the branch itself.

In person, the teller called over someone else, who said “One moment”, went into The Back, came back out and said “You should be on the account in a couple days, and have your card within the week.”

Turns out, my paperwork was held up because someone forgot to sign something somewhere.  As neither Josh nor I were asked to sign anything that day, I’m assuming this wasn’t our oversight.

That week, we received a new credit book (which is good for like paying rent, but as that’s directly withdrawn, it’s pointless), with both our names on it.  Proof that I was at least on the account.

A week later, no card.

A week later, still no card.  Another trip to the branch so I could at least pull cash happened, and I was told that my card should arrive by the end of the week.

That was on a Saturday.  Over two weeks ago.

Guess what has yet to appear at my house?

All I want is my debit card. I did everything I was asked to do.  I’ve been beyond patient.  I just want my debit card, so I can do wild and crazy things like pay bills and buy groceries.  It would make our lives much easier if we didn’t have to play “Who has the debit card?”.

And yes, tomorrow, if this crappy cold hasn’t done me in, I will be making yet another trek down to the local branch where I expect to hear “It should be there within the week.”  If I should happen to say “I don’t believe you, you damned dirty liars.”, please, understand where I’m coming from.

THREE MONTHS.

grr.

10 Responses to “Dear Ulster Bank”

1. dragonfly231 February 21, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

I live in the great USA…and am having the same issues with my bank- no debit card for me. O well. We’re just going to change banks lol. Good luck!

2. Eileen Hegarty (@allovus) February 21, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

You picked the only bank remaining on Irish soil that’s wholly owned outside of Ireland. It’s a British bank so everything has to go through our laws and their laws~money laundering’s rife between euro and sterling- and that’s another thing; their base currency is sterling; their financial regulator is English; everything has to transfer back through the Irish/European Central Banks’ regulations ~complique~non? UB came here as did many banks do make money during our building boom. They are hugely involved in our mortgage market and therefore well&truly stuck. They are trying to compete for new business, but being english in a euro market holds them back. As you’ve found. And no; you can’t blame us for this one… Sorry about the cold, you poor chicken. Pls allow yourself snuggle time in front of a fire with soppy DVD’s,lotsa tissues and warmed brandy&port… with a little lemon.. and vicks ointments to apply everywhere… poor shnufflty u!! [keep temp level with tylenol/paracetamol!! ;0

• phoebz4 February 21, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

You know, I did bring back some lovely stuff from Edinburgh…

3. noangeilli February 21, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

HAHAHAHA!!! You have a way of saying things that it just.. hysterical! I am, honestly, very sorry you’re having to go through that horrible run-around! (But, I’m still giggling over the way you express yourself!) 🙂

• noangeilli February 21, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

Rats.. IS.. I meant to say IS.. not “it” hysterical!

4. wonkafonka February 21, 2012 at 7:46 pm #

Holy. Crap. You have shown amazing restraint in not killing anyone.

5. Suzanne Young February 21, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

This bank card problem sounds like a scene from “Groundhog Day.” One continuous loop of bureaucratic nonsense that sucks you into a black hole. (Kind of like Pinterest only not as much fun!)

I have been reading your blog for months, but am just now commenting. Loved your post about “Being Retarded” as I have a special needs daughter as well. I can relate to so much of what you have said. We too do not have a diagnosis 19 years after Kinsey’s birth.

About a year ago we met with geneticist to see if “anything new” had been discovered since Stanford Hospital came up short when Kinsey was first born. Still no shattering revelations – as if that mattered at this point in time. I asked if we could just name her collection of “unique anomalies” after her. We’re still waiting on that one too. Kind of like your bank card!

6. ntouch2cher February 22, 2012 at 12:51 am #

Sorry you are having a rough time with a financial institution BUT happy you enjoyed Edinburgh. Such a lovely city and awesome shops:)

7. Megan Luck February 22, 2012 at 12:59 am #

Yeah they are damn dirty liars! Totally feel for you! Many blessings to you and the family.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. I can’t help but laugh at this point… « Herding Cats - June 23, 2012

[…] my issues with trying to get on the bank account?  And how complaining on Twitter actually helped, in a creepy, kinda stalkerish way?  Well, after […]