Well, that was quick…and a little creepy…

22 Feb

So yesterday, I wrote about my banking problems, in hopes that it would produce results – aka, a bank card at my house with my name on it.

The bank card did not arrive.  But I did get results.

The results were in the form of a phone call, from a representative of said bank.  Said bank that monitors Twitter for mentions of themselves.  My note to them caught their eye, and I guess because of my name being part of my web address, they were able to deduce who I was, and called me up.

Once again reminding me how scary social media can be at times.

Anyhoo, the nice lady asked about my complaint, and I went through the saga of trying to get on the account and having to wait, and all of that, and how I’ve yet to receive a bank card.

She then explained to me that I didn’t have a bank card because…wait for it…the box next to “Yes, I want a bank debit card” was not checked off.

Say what?

So…to get this straight…despite me asking if I’d filled out everything correctly on the forms back in November and handing them in, and being told I did, and despite going into the branch in January and asking how long it would take to get the bank card and being told a week or so, and despite going in two and a half weeks ago, explaining I hadn’t gotten my card, and the teller looking it up and telling me it’d been issued and should arrive at my house within a week…no card had actually been issued.  Ever.

That thunking noise?  That’s my head hitting a wall.

The polite woman on the phone then suggested that maybe I should have come into the branch to talk to someone.

more thunking noises.  I then explained that I had gone into the branch, in person, and had talked to a live human being.  Twice.  Josh was with me the one time, I have a witness to that. And was told that my card had been ordered and was being sent just two weeks ago.

I got an “oh..” sort of response to that.  I think she finally saw why I was feeling a bit frustrated.

So now, a card is being issued.  And will arrive in 3-4 days at the branch.  So I can go into the branch, in person, to pick it up.  You know, to speed up the process.  Or for them to get a good look at the annoying American woman who’s causing all sorts of problems.

And that is the update.  So, if you want to get a company’s notice, just put it on Twitter and they will find you.  Which actually, saved me from having to drag my sick sorry carcass into the local branch.  So in a way, while a bit creepy they were able to track me down in about 16 hours, I can now spend the time I would have spent at the bank to lay on the couch and die a little until kids get home from school.

12 Responses to “Well, that was quick…and a little creepy…”

1. theo February 22, 2012 at 9:21 am #

That totally creeps me out! Thank goodness they responed in a “customer-friendly” manner. I mean for heaven’s sake they are a bank. They have all your money. Think what they could do if they got really upset!

2. Suzanne Young February 22, 2012 at 9:40 am #

Lesson learned – start with a Tweet to get results. Yes kind of creepy, but also a testament to the rising power of social media. At least *someone* at the bank is paying attention. So glad you got it sorted out. Maybe. We will want a report when the bank card is in your hot little hand. Only then will we know if Twitter really works!

3. Sharon Hoover Weidemann February 22, 2012 at 10:45 am #

You should have written that blog 4 months ago! LOl

4. Alzbeta February 22, 2012 at 10:52 am #

a) Feel better!

b) Just a little creepy… but congratulations on the results! I hope they come through!

5. waynebradley February 22, 2012 at 11:12 am #

Yes, that is creepy, but being an ex-pat in different places, nothing surprises me.

6. Susan Holmes February 22, 2012 at 11:13 am #

That really is a little creepy! I hope you got the name and phone phone number of the lady you talked to so if the card does not come in 3 to 4 days, you can call her. Or perhaps you don’t need that, you just need to put it back on Twitter.

7. wonkafonka February 22, 2012 at 11:43 am #

Despite the creepy factor, I do think it’s actually kind of awesome that they’re (theoretically) using social media to improve their customer service. Unfortunately, she didn’t do any due diligence prior to contacting you, which makes the entire thing completely useless. Insert thunking noises here. 🙂

8. Karin February 22, 2012 at 11:55 am #

I may have to use Twitter next time I have a problem. And if I ever move to another country, I’ll be prepared. Not sure how long you’ll be living in Ireland, but I thought the card would arrive the day you move back to the US.

9. Laura February 22, 2012 at 1:35 pm #

That is creepy and crazy. Quit thunking your head and get well! Enjoying all your posts.

10. Rachael February 22, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

Oh that’s all so super frustrating!! You need to take a picture of yourself & your card when it comes. Have it framed so you can always remember that day you were free to access your own money!

11. Becky February 22, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

I just have to comment on the “anyhoo”. 🙂 It must be a midwestern thing. I’m from WI and say it all the time! I have a friend that cannot get through telling a story without at least 5 uses of “anyhoo”! It makes me smile that this “word” has made it all the way to Ireland! (PS: Also glad to hear the bank card is being taken care of!)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. I can’t help but laugh at this point… « Herding Cats - June 23, 2012

[…] my issues with trying to get on the bank account?  And how complaining on Twitter actually helped, in a creepy, kinda stalkerish way?  Well, after that, the bank and I have gotten […]