Days like this…

14 Mar

I know that the song goes “mama said there’d be days like this”, but really, mama didn’t have a freaking clue.

It started out okay – everyone got off to school, I spent mindless hours at the computer writing and rejecting what I wrote and throwing laundry in appropriate places.  Then my friend called and asked if we could meet for lunch (yay!).  All good.  The sun even came out.

Then it was time for kids to come home from school.  Mim showed up all happy and sunshine.  Maura came home all smiles as well.  The puppy was estactic and slightly crazy to see them.

So of course, Zoey rushed Maura at the door.  Just as Maura was going up the one step.  Which of course, threw Maura off balance.  Usually she can save herself in time.  Not today.

No, today, she face planted straight into the corner of the doorframe.

Yes, this would be a bit stressful and teary for any child.  But Maura…well…she’s Maura.  Maura who could have a seizure on me.  Maura of the thin skin, who already has three scars on her forehead from hitting it off things like church pews and gym floors, and ginormous scar on the back of her head  from a fall off the bed – took eight stitches to close it up.

So yeah, when she falls face first into a corner, I instantly start praying “please no blood, please no blood”.

God does sometimes hear my prayers. Like today.  No blood.  Phew.  But there were tears.  Lots of tears.  Well-deserved tears.  I asked where the booboo was, and she said nose – poor nose.  Then she went “Ow!  Teeth!”  Crap.  But again, no blood.  No blood is a good thing.

But as Maura doesn’t get the full concept of pain, she of couse started pushing on her teeth then screaming OW!  Which found me shouting “Don’t touch your teeth!”

And then, I realized that her diaper was at maximun capacity.

Ugh.

So now, she’s still sniffly, but her teeth were fine enough for her to eat the two rice krispie treats she helped make at school.  However, they do bug her (having whacked my mouth before, I get the feeling) so she keeps pushing at them with her tongue.  So I’m now annoying her by saying “Leave your teeth alone.” every two minutes…well, while saying “get the pen out of your mouth” and “don’t put that up your nose”.

sigh.

And while she wants to play outside, she’s being moody, so I finally brought her in – because I can’t run out there every 5 minutes to find out what that particular scream was about.

Yes, it’s warmish and sunny and I  have plunked my child in front of the television.

While yelling at her to leave her teeth alone.

I don’t question why my shoulder is all knotted up now.

and while writing this, I’ve gotten up to deal with a moody girl seventeenthousand times.  It’s afternoons like this one that just drain a gal.  I think I’m going to take Maura out, get her something cold to drink, and maybe she’ll get back into a good mood.  And then maybe, I’ll be able to put more than two thoughts together in an hour’s time.

a few hours later…

so after writing that up and posting it, hell kept breaking loose.  Maura was screaming at Miriam for various reasons – like turning off the music! gasp!  Then she decided to play downstairs, which lead to phrases like “don’t chew on the baby!” and “what is that smell?  I know that smell, but what is it?”

The baby was a doll. Maur chews on stuff.

The smell?  Was Head and Shoulder’s on my living room carpet.  How she got that by me, as I was in the dang living room with her is beyond me.  And for the record, it is really hard to get shampoo out of a carpet without…well…a carpet shampooer.

So I finally got off my duff and packed her into the van, where we hit the bank and then went to Starbucks.  Maura skipped about and was three shades of happy and nearly splatted onto the pavement again (but at least caught herself this time – phew!)  She ended up with a big-to-her strawberries and creme frappichino.  Which she sucked down in record time.

Upon returning home, I told Collin “Okay, I’m going to prepare dinner – where’s that Pizza Hut coupon?”

Because some days, when your brain is oozing out one ear and your last nerve is in a fetal position crying in the corner, well, you just have to order pizza for dinner.

53 minutes until bedtime.  I have hope we’ll make it!  I appreciate all the words of support and sympathy!

15 Responses to “Days like this…”

1. Audrey March 14, 2012 at 11:36 am #

So glad there was no blood, hopefully your girl gets feeling better soon. What an afternoon you had! Wishing today will be much better!

• phoebz4 March 14, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

thank you!

2. Angel Brookins March 14, 2012 at 11:37 am #

Happy Pi day … the date is irrational, the planets are beginning to align and everything is just a little off-kilter. Poor Maura of the sore teeth, and Mama of the sore nerves. Some cornflower tea, maybe?

• phoebz4 March 14, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

sadly, no Pi Day for us here – the date is written out day/month – so it’s 14/3/2012….you should hear me stumble over my kids birthdays!

• Heidi March 14, 2012 at 2:57 pm #

This is how we write out the date also… it’s from spending so many years in the Marine Corps. Now that we’re retired from the military and back in the civilian world, people have a hard time interpreting it. LOL

3. Lori Hurley March 14, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Poor Maura. Poor Mommy.

I have days like that. It looks like today might be one of them. How many freaking times can I say, “Leave the cat alone.” as he strangles her, trying to pet the nice, fluffy fur…. or, “No hugs.” because he’s tackling his twin brother to the ground and sitting on him so much that his twin can’t breath. Sigh. My throat hurts on the days I have to use “the Mommy voice” all dang day.

I don’t know how far ahead of me (Annapolis, MD) you are, but I hope the rest of the evening goes well and a good night’s rest sorts it all out. :Hugs:

• phoebz4 March 14, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

we’re usually 5 hours ahead of EST – though we haven’t “sprung foward” yet, so it’s only four.

And you can say “leave the cat alone” a LOT! LOL!

4. Candes March 14, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

Oh so many times reading that I gasped and cringed… because I know just what you’re going through. In my case though the daughter I worry most about when she falls down can’t feel certain parts of her legs, so there is always the anxiety over whether or not she did real damage and just can’t feel it. So we wait, and wait to see if any bruising or swelling is going to come up. Thankfully I think she’s made of titanium, but still… **shiver** Poor Maura. And poor Phoebe. My heart goes out to you both.

• phoebz4 March 14, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

Oh my! That would be a tough one! I remember what a relief it was the first time Maura could tell me where it hurt. Before that, it was sometimes a guessing game.

5. Heidi March 14, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

I totally get you… how life with a child with special needs can “drain” you on a daily basis. I read the following article the other day, and thought it was spot on…

• phoebz4 March 14, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

Oh, I read that the other day – it was a very good article!

6. MommaExpat March 15, 2012 at 4:05 am #

I read your posts and think about the work I did with families who have children with special needs…. and if I can say anything is be proud of yourself for making it through the tough times. They are many but you keep it together for the sake of all of your children and for yourself. I think you are an amazing mother! (& glad there was no blood).

• phoebz4 March 15, 2012 at 5:03 am #

thanks!

7. Lyn Fattorini March 15, 2012 at 8:13 pm #

I can so relate to this post. Some hours/days nothing works. My son has only limited speech, and finding where the owws are can be a real issue. Glad Maura’s ok.

8. Jessica March 16, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

Days like that can only be saved by huge amounts of chocolate and/or a stiff drink 😉