Random crap

18 Apr

Every so often, someone on Facebook will ask one of those “If you could go back in time, what would you change?”

Today’s choice would be one I’ve said here and there in the course of my adulthood –  I would go back in time and pack up correctly.

I’ve done a few moves in my adulthood.  Two were about moving to a completely new state. One was overseas.  I think I’ve met the “Big Move Challenge”.

When we moved here to Ireland, the company paid for movers.  Part of me wasn’t sure about this.  I mean, I like to know how things are packed up.  I prefer to bag my own groceries at the grocery store.  But oh well, it was paid for, how bad could it have been?

Well, when you’re moving house, not taking everything with you, are dealing with four kids and a blizzard…well…it can get bad.  Not “I need therapy for this” bad…but bad enough that fourteen months later, I’m still dealing with the fallout from it.

Yes, it was that time of year where I decide that THIS time, I would conquer the storage room here.  I did it a little before Christmas, but then eventually lost all hope to live, so packed away all the bins and boxes again.  You can only stare into a box that should be labeled “Random Crap” and realize you have 591 decisions for each and every item in that box before you want to cry.

Eventually though, I get lured back in, by the idea that maybe, just maybe, if we got rid of some of what’s in there and organized what’s left properly, I’d have more room for storage. Which is an alluring thought.

So today, once again, I found myself sorting through the bins and boxes.  And came to the startling conclusion that the box of random crap?  Really is random crap.  There’s a bit that I will keep.  A few things to donate.  The rest?  Well, the rest is just trash.  Some of it is – once again – stuff I specifically asked the movers NOT to pack.  Which really just ticks me off.  Because here, they weigh your garbage bin before dumping it into the truck, and you pay by the pound basically.

So I get to pay to dispose of random crap that I never wanted moved here in the first place.

Loverly.

And I must do this in stealth mode, because you know some dang child will see something and INSIST they must keep this Most Precious Object that’s been sitting in a box for fourteen months.

I’ve already put two trash bags full of random crap in the garbage bin.  Then realized that I can’t keep doing that or we won’t have the room for our everyday garbage.  I have one moving box already full of said random crap to be thrown away as well.

I can feel my will to live being sucked out of me as I type this out.  However, I must finish the job. Otherwise, I will have no place to shove all the stuff I’ve pulled out all over the house thinking “Oh, this could go in the storage room!”

Really, I am my own worst enemy.  But it’s easier to blame the movers who packed us up.  Meanwhile, my goal is to leave Ireland someday with less stuff than we brought.  At this rate, I can make that happen.  But I will be paying for it with my next garbage bill!

13 Responses to “Random crap”

1. Courtney April 18, 2012 at 9:37 am #

After eleven years of the military paying for our packing and moves, we will be doing it ourselves in a couple months. I am terrified at the prospect of having to do it myself, as I got to sit and read a book while watching everyone hustle and bustle about me in the past moves. Now, I will be doing it. And, I have to fuss with my 17 year old son, SEVENTEEN, about why he does not need to bring his remote controlled cars with him to our new house. They don’t even work, they sit on his shelf in his closet and I don’t want to pay for a box and paper to move them only to have him get rid of it once he unpacks his new room, or throws it on a shelf in the new house. Then I will have to do stealth mode with all of Ella’s stuffed animals and books, as she remembers everything and has asked in the past where this or that is…who says a child with intellectual deficits isn’t incredibly smart? At least I don’t have to pay to throw things out, just have to pay for the Uhaul and boxes and paper…..all the while making me grumpy that this can’t be a military move too so I can be lazy and read and drink my coffee while smiling at the packers and movers. And yes, they have orders to pack everything, even trash if you’re not careful. I’ve never had a problem but friends have had plants and trash packed-imagine unpacking weeks old food or dirty diapers.

2. lifelibertyeducation April 18, 2012 at 9:45 am #

Sort the crap into trash bags but only get rid of one per week so as to spread the cost and be less obvious to the kids. Also, doesn’t Dublin have a tip you can take all the trash? I know that was an English thing I found indispensable when we moved to the US. I wish we had somewhere local here to do it again!

3. Renee Anne April 18, 2012 at 10:27 am #

You are preachin’ to the choir, baby!

With all my inherited crap, we’re going to need a dumpster to get rid of everything properly. I’ve slowly been going through things but when you’re the primary caretaker of a toddler, you don’t have time to hide away in a room for hours on end, going through boxes and bins and closets full of things you may or may not want to keep (mostly not).

::sigh::

• phoebz4 April 18, 2012 at 10:49 am #

You could put it all in storage, then do a “storage wars” thing where you get people to pay for your stored stuff – lol!

4. Hannah April 18, 2012 at 10:38 am #

I feel ya! My garage… well you can’t walk through it. Tom has decided we need to build a new dining room table. I am excited about the process of building a table with Tom but first I have to clean out the garage. Did I mention it is completely full and you can’t walk through it? I am a little overwhelmed but determined to overcome the garage!

• phoebz4 April 18, 2012 at 10:49 am #

For your sake, I hope it’s a one car garage!

5. redmitten April 18, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

my last two moves were sudden and fierce, relating to events like break-ups and divorce. friends swept in and packed me and my kids. and now, a few years later i am the empty nest, with more spaces than not serving as storage. it’s like an ancient dig when i start to sort through these boxes and cartons. funny how things got packed and/or never unpacked. oh here is the layer left over from the marriage. and stacked right next to it items from the next boyfriend and his kids. and next to that, cartons of Stuff from my own kids’ rooms marked Too Precious To Part With. each week i take one load to donate to Family Services, and one load out to the curb (in montana you could haul a couch to the curb and the city gargage service would gladly haul it away for you for free.) and then there is the smaller pile of items i set aside for each time grown children come by the house- i send something home with them.

• phoebz4 April 18, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

I miss large item trash days…they don’t do that in Ireland, not that I’ve seen.

6. Morgain (@SashaKamen) April 18, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

When we moved from Indiana to California, the Navy paid for our packing and moving. When we were finally able to move from temporary housing into an apartment and get our stuff out of storage, I had a surprise waiting for me! The movers had packed a full kitchen garbage can that I’d wanted to save until the last minute to empty! Idiots!

• phoebz4 April 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

that literally just happened to a friend of mine! Those packers will pack EVERYTHING. We even had the empty tape rolls in some of our boxes.

7. Nancy Spivey April 18, 2012 at 3:30 pm #

I am currently in the middle of moving, so I understan this totally. I tried, this time, to be heartless, and throw out things I didn’t need or want, rather than packing them, but there is still just so much STUFF!

• phoebz4 April 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

It really is all about those little random things you just don’t know what to do with, isn’t it? I thought I was ruthless with this move, but when it got down to the wire, some stuff just had to come with us to be dealt with here. Every time I go into the storage room, it’s with the next move in mind!

8. Marianne Artymko April 26, 2012 at 8:39 am #

Was cleaning out the attic yesterday and came across said boxes of “random crap” and I will admit I did not have the heart to deal with them. As there is plenty of room up there, I just shoved them back to their places and went back downstairs.