Thoughts on writing

28 Apr

Between the Easter holidays and my friend’s visit, I haven’t done much writing these past few weeks.  I’m finding myself itching to get back into it.

I will confess, right here and now, that part of my motivation to be published now, and do well…is so that someone will put a plaque outside the door of this house, stating how I once lived here. The Irish seem to like their writers (hello, James Joyce anyone?) and like to put plaques outside houses where now-famous people once lived.  That is now my goal.  A bronze plaque outside the door here.

The big question everyone asks is “What are you writing?”  I always seem to blow off the answer.  I don’t know why, I’m a bit sheepish about it all.  Heck, I forget that real people read my blog until someone makes a reference to it.  And then I’m a bit startled and surprised.

See how I’ve managed to avoid answering the question there?  That takes talent, I’m certain of it.

The answer is really whatever catches my whim at the moment.  I’ll start something, write away on it for a while, then it fizzles and I get a new idea that’s much more exiting than the one I’m now plodding through so work on that a bit, then that fizzles, and so I go back to the first one, rinse and repeat.  Meanwhile, nothing gets finished.  Just added to or edited.

(And this is where I hear my former therapist’s voice saying “Are you sure you don’t think you’re somewhat ADHD?”….)

I do lean towards two genres – I like a good love story, so will get distracted writing scenes about people who are first falling in love.  What I have found though is that I also like a good twist in a novel, so I’m trying to figure out how to combine love and twists.  That’s still sort of in the “all for fun” category.

Meanwhile, I think my true leanings are towards sort of young adult novels.  But the kind anyone can read.  I have always loved the Narnia stories, fairy tales, and adore the Harry Potter books on the basis of the creativity and imagination alone.  I’ve discovered Neil Gaiman and while everyone knows of “Coraline”, I really liked “The Graveyard Book” a lot.  I like stories that are sort of in their own time, their own world.  I’m a fan of Doctor Who and Warehouse 13 and those kinds of tv shows.  Basically, I like a world that is familiar enough to us but just slightly skewed, where magic and fairy tales and mystical things could actually happen.

So that’s what I’m attempting.  A story about a girl and a boy and a ghost and a villain and a twist (though I haven’t figured out the twist yet) set in a place that is a mash of Dublin and Edinburgh. With much more to come I’m sure because I haven’t fully plotted it out.

And that is that.  What I’m trying to attempt.  Meanwhile, another story is trying to cut in line and come forward, so I just jot down those bits on the side when I need a break.

I know that people think I should write some funny contemporary thing about life and family and a mother going mad.  I could.  But I’m so busy living that story right now, I need an escape.  And isn’t that what reading is all about, an escape from your reality?

14 Responses to “Thoughts on writing”

1. Jessica April 28, 2012 at 7:03 am #

Nothing wrong with trying stuff out to see what oyu like and not in terms of genre, writing style etc.

2. Suzanne Young April 28, 2012 at 7:11 am #

I think the fact that you have identified that you want to be a writer, and are doing that are the most important things to note. I say I want to be (fill in the blank) and then don’t take any steps to get there. You have turned a dream into an action item and that is wonderful. Yeah You! Keep feeding your dream and it will turn into reality soon.

3. Eileen (@allovus) April 28, 2012 at 7:39 am #

love it! And the mash should be a Scottish cat. deceased, unaware
    too tired to care.. zzzzz trying to make it’s way home back via the rodent ridden cargo ship.that caught the eye of the playful young kitten…

4. babazoobee April 28, 2012 at 8:45 am #

if you have ever read the book “expecting adam” by martha beck, than you will know that all is possible in one story. my favourite and most inspirational novel of all time. as i head down the early road of diagnoses and tests and therapies, i cling to your sense of humour, your style, and the beauty you possess (inside and out) on my saddest days. thank you!

• phoebz4 April 28, 2012 at 9:13 am #

aw, glad to be of some help. I will check out that book, I’m not sure I’ve heard of it.

5. Karen April 28, 2012 at 8:50 am #

I have a file that is filled with my starts…stories that seemed good at the time…but then I didn’t know where to go with them. They may rear their heads again someday so I’m not getting rid of them.
    I’m trying to find an agent now for a novel I’ve finally finished. Once I got throughly into writing this one, I couldn’t talk about it to anyone. Call it superstition but it seemed everytime I told someone about a story I wanted to write, the thrill left me. This one I kept to myself till I typed “the end”. And I’ll do that with the one I’m working on now.
    A lot of writers seem to feel that way…at least ones that I’ve read about. It seems talking about it too soon is the kiss of death…yep, superstition, I know…but it’s working for me. So don’t get rid of all those “starts” of yours. One of them may be the gem that gets you that plaque on your door. Just keep writing. If you’d like some good writer’s blogs to read, drop me a line at baglady159@aol.com or visit me at bagladysjournal@blogspot.com. And good luck!!!

• phoebz4 April 28, 2012 at 9:05 am #

I love all my starts – I have binders of them. I like the characters in each one. Maybe someday they’ll all mesh into one supreme novel, lol!

6. Cheryl-Lynn April 28, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

You ARE writing and that speaks loudly;) Your idea of writing something that takes you away from your current reality makes total sense. Working with troubled youths, I read a lot on my breaks and time off with stories that are totally unrelated. I want to escape in “my” private movie/world. Writing has to be something you enjoy…and you sure seem to, so as you invent, explore, imagine and write…may as well enjoy the ride while you’re at it, kiddo:)

7. Nanette Quigley Malloy April 28, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

Hi Phoebe, Have you read ‘The Hunger Games’ by Suzanne Collins? I think you would like it. It’s a trilogy and there is a movie based on it, here in the States. One suggestion, if you get it from the library, as soon as you get the first one, request the second – it’s that good. You will probably tear through it in three nights, yes, I do remember you have four children.
    Do take care and kind regards,
    ~Nanette

• babazoobee April 28, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

my friend is 154th on the waiting list in our guelph public library for the hunger games book – and we’re a small city of about 100,000! the book is a huge phenomenon here. all the tweens in town have posters of the hunger games…..i guess one day when i have time to read a “real” book i should read it too!

• phoebz4 April 29, 2012 at 5:54 am #

I have read the Hunger Games Trilogy (found a deal on the Kindle version, all three for $16). They were good. I can’t say if I loved them or not…but I would consider reading them again I think. I was lucky enough to get the trilogy as we left for a vacation, and ended up spending a day reading as a sick child read Harry Potter and napped.

8. Shira April 29, 2012 at 8:37 am #

I can’t wait till it comes out, whatever it is in the end. Love your writing!

9. Dani Vaughn April 29, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

I can’t wait to read what you write whether it’s your next blog or your 1st book! I call my collection of books (both paper and e-versions) “brain candy”! Love the opportunity to escape for a little while!

10. Angel Brookins May 9, 2012 at 10:19 am #

That’s a fantastic idea … the mashup of the two cities and the two children with the ghost, I can’t wait to read it! Your writing style is so fun already! I’d like to suggest WeBook writing challenges to stay sharp, it’s what I do.

I’m working on my fourth novel right now.

I self-published the first, and though it’s not superfantastic, the idea was good, and it’s still up for sale at amazon, the others are awaiting editing until I’m done with this one, because this one is REALLY good.

I hope to get this one put into screenplay format and made into a series, because it has the potential to make an impact. It’s about a little girl who sees the true nature of people, and the dark forces that are at work to make sure that she doesn’t see the nature of some …

Looking forward to seeing your name on the shelves! ❤