The one where I hit you all up for money

10 May

I don’t know if I’ve said it lately, but Maura’s school here is awesome. It’s part of a system – St. Michael’s House – that helps people with disabilities. From schools to social groups, doctors and respite care, the system is great.

Maura’s school is what’s known here as a special school – you know, for special kids. Her school is for children with moderate to severe disabilities. They do some academics, but also focus a lot on life skills – from dressing and toilet training, to how to ride the bus, to cooking. Miriam loves it when Maura has a cooking day, because they always send enough of the baked goods home for Maura to share!

The people who work at the school are the loveliest group you could ever meet. And there’s a lot of them – from the principal to the bus drivers and aides. Even the cleaning staff make sure we have tea and biscuits for meetings. Maura loves her school and we can’t say enough good things about them.

Like everywhere, times are tough, money is tight. Maura’s school is managing, but with more money, they could do even more for our kids.

They have several fundraisers, but one of the big ones is the Flora Women’s Mini Marathon Fundraiser. Somehow I ended up heading that fundraiser. And I thought “Well, if I’m going to head it, I might as well do the marathon.”

Let me be honest – I’m not running. NO RUN. But I can walk it. It’s part of why I’m going to the gym, to get into some shape before this marathon.

So yeah, I just signed up to do a 10K walk for charity. Because I love my daughter and love her school.

Who wants to give me money for that? Which will all go to Maura’s school?

And if you donate, you get to be all cool and European-Uniony and pay in Euros! Oooo…euros….(don’t worry, you can donate in good old American dollars, it’ll convert)…not to mention, Josh worked very hard to get this Paypal donate button to work.

Donate Now!

Maura, first day of school

12 Responses to “The one where I hit you all up for money”

1. Karin May 10, 2012 at 9:00 pm #

Just donated, I feel so European! I’m adopted and now, at age 45, recently found out I’m Irish. Between that and enjoying your blog so much (and having come to love Maura), I am happy to donate!

• phoebz4 May 11, 2012 at 3:14 am #

Thank you! It is truly appreciated!

2. Penny Kuehlman-Diehl May 11, 2012 at 9:24 am #

It sounds a lot like the school that my daughter used to go to. So glad to help out.

• phoebz4 May 11, 2012 at 11:29 am #

Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Suzanne Barrow May 11, 2012 at 10:34 pm #

I couldn’t afford *much* right now, but I figured a little bit’s better than nothing, right? ๐Ÿ˜€

• phoebz4 May 12, 2012 at 5:02 am #

Every little bit *is* helpful and very much appreciated! Thank you!

4. Revell May 15, 2012 at 11:14 am #

I hope when my son enter school in the US we will be able to find a place for him that is as wonderful and caring as Maura’s.
    Happy to help with a little bit ๐Ÿ™‚

• phoebz4 May 15, 2012 at 11:20 am #

thank you! and good luck!

5. Henrik Johansson May 21, 2012 at 8:37 am #

Great initiative, glad to help.
    All the best,
    Henrik

• phoebz4 May 21, 2012 at 8:39 am #

Thank you!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Sun, sea, and shining moons… « Herding Cats - May 24, 2012

[…] in our quest to prepare better for the marathon we’re walking, my friend M. and I decided to take advantage of the gorgeous weather and go walking outdoors. ย I […]

2. I will walk… « Herding Cats - June 4, 2012

[…] donate to the cause (I’m doing this as a fundraiser for Maura’s school which you could read about hereย ) it’s not too late to do so. ย A HUGE thank you to all of you who have donated – it […]