Jellyfish

15 Jun

Last weekend, Josh and I walked along the pier at Dun Laoghaire harbor and figured out what everyone was staring at – jellyfish.  Hundreds of jellyfish.  Which I guess happens every few years (according to the conversation about jellyfish I overheard.)

There was a dad with three kids out as well – one boy and two adventurous girls who went down and picked up jellyfish right out of the water and let Josh take a picture of them.

This “born and raised in the Midwest” girl was fascinated.  But she didn’t pet the jellyfish.

All the pink floaty things are jellyfish

Jellyfish in hand

8 Responses to “Jellyfish”

1. lalx11 June 15, 2012 at 8:26 am #

HaHaHaHa!!!! No, don’t pet the JayFee; they’re jet stream surfers, here from Sth America and prob not v happy about it…. Just ride in on some tides and take over; to be avoided; when my legs obliged I with friends cycled the length of Aran Mor; [on a rare hot day!} Spent, .we threw ourselves into the sea; I stood up; my friends screamed~my back was covered in JF. i was so sick ~ 1 GP on island..
    Stay away from the JFeees….

2. Suzanne Young June 15, 2012 at 10:48 am #

I thought Jelly Fish had stingers and were something to avoid. LIke you’d I look but definitely NOT touch!

3. Courtenay Bluebird June 15, 2012 at 11:53 am #

I was trying to figure out the same thing! How in the world did that girl pick up the jellyfish and not get stung? (Also— I love the photograph with all of the jellyfish in the water. Nicely done!)

4. Pat Chesley June 15, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

Some jellyfish have stingers on their trailing tentacles. Here in Florida we call them Portuguese Man ‘o War (how should I make that plural?). Their tentacles can get wrapped around legs and be very painful. When I was in high school we found some fresh water jellyfish in a lake. The University of Florida even sent people to the lake to see them. Of course we took a bunch home in jars. We discovered putting a drop of food coloring in a spoonful of water and putting the jellyfish in the spoon could turn them pretty colors that lasted a long time. They lived about a week.

5. Berber Anna June 15, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

I’ve picked up jellies before and it didn’t hurt. The smaller and I guess younger ones aren’t harmful to humans (that is, around here in Europe — there’s lots of very dangerous small jellies all over the world, of course). And you can touch the tops of jellies without getting stung, as the stingers are on the bottom. So petting them wouldn’t be a problem 🙂

The huge amount of jellies in the water suggests a jellyfish bloom to me. Jellyfish have a fascinating life cycle — they go from larva to polyp (attached to the sea bed), and then they ‘bloom’: They either turn into free-floating jellies or, for some species, the polyp creates lots of free-floating jellies by asexual reproduction. They’re amazing animals.

6. Jessica June 15, 2012 at 9:29 pm #

As a child I used to pick up these kinds of jellyfish and put them in a bucket. A few hours later they had dissolved into their jellyfishy molecules. The jellyfish that you can find in Europe that are harmless to humans goes under the latin name Aurelia aurita. In the baltic sea and along the swedish east coast these are the jelly fish you’ll find. Occasionally you might find a cyanea jellyfish, they’re the kind with burning “tentacles”, on the west coast (the north sea) but they’re rare.

7. Beverley Johnstone June 15, 2012 at 10:18 pm #

WOW! We learned as kids NEVER to touch jellyfish as they sting. At least our Canadian west coast ones do. I cannot imagine any kids here picking up jellyfish. Amazing. Your blog is a delight to read/ Thanks for sharing your life with us.

8. Serena June 21, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

Hi Phoebe,

You might find the link above interesting. I regularly sail in Dublin (born and bred here) and did notice that we seem to have a lot of jellyfish this year. Happens every few years or so, but don’t go picking any other type up as some of them do sting enough to hurt! I’ve seen lots of the type pictured (Aurelia Aurita) but I’ve also seen quite a number of what look like The Lion’s Mane, not very big, about the size of 2 clenched fists. I’ve seen people get stung by them before and they really do hurt – one kid had to be brought to hospital. In general though, the clearer they are, the safer they are.

Enjoy reading your blog, just thought I would fill you in with a bit of local knowledge!