This does not exist

16 Jun

photo credit unknown

I keep stumbling across this on Pinterest.  Heck, I’ve pinned it.  Because it’s a cool picture.

But I also keep seeing “Castle Island in Dublin!  How Cool! I want to see that!”

Well, allow me to burst your bubble.

It doesn’t exist.

Seriously, there is no cool castle on top of a rock in the Irish Sea.  If there was, well, there’d be a picture of me climbing up that ladder with a big grin on my face.

So there you have it.  My public service announcement for this weekend – if you’re visiting Dublin and hoping to see this Castle Island thing, you’re going to spend a lot of time looking.

10 Responses to “This does not exist”

1. Suzanne Young June 16, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

No doubt it was expertly Photoshopped. Clever and devious all at the same time.

2. Courtenay Bluebird June 16, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

Oh, that’s great! I’m actually impressed. They even got the shadow in its proper place. And the reflection, too! Wow. Thanks, PH!

• phoebz4 June 16, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

I did catch one minor error – the little bell tower thing up top is now quite 3 dimensional.

• Courtenay Bluebird June 16, 2012 at 4:35 pm #

Well, now that you mention it (and now that I magnified it 8,000 times)— it looks as though the artist didn’t add the bell tower to the shadow, either. As you said, minor errors, really. : )

3. David Allen June 16, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

Maybe it’s a different Dublin. In a different Ireland. Somewhere.

4. phxross June 16, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

I can just picture tourists asking locals for directions to “the castle in the sea… You know, the one in this picture….. ” Followed by blank look from the local and/or laughter.

5. Alzbeta June 17, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

haha… before we actually started researching Ireland, I definitely thought it was real and that I would get to see it when I came! well, boo ;-).

6. Berber Anna June 20, 2012 at 6:59 am #

I thought that rock (minus the castle) looked familiar, and now I know why. I found the original picture on Google, and it’s actually the rock that was Scaramanga’s lair in The Man With The Golden Gun!

7. ely December 17, 2013 at 5:55 am #

It’s upsetting to see how many people believe everything they see on Pinterest and Facebook…

• phoebz4 December 17, 2013 at 11:35 am #

I am just annoyed by all the false information spread via these channels. Two seconds of googling people! That’s all it takes!