Attention Tesco Shoppers

26 Jun

Specifically my local Tesco…all of you who were there at about 5:30 pm today.

I’d like to apologize for the blood curdling screams that came from my daughter.  You know, the ones that made some of you literally startle and turn to see which child had been set on fire?  Yeah, those screams.

That was my child.  My perfectly normal looking but actually special needs child.  The screaming was due to the fact that I had denied her a kids magazine.

No, really, that was it.  She went “ooo” and I said “no dear, we don’t need that, let’s go.”

Cue howler monkey mode.

Okay, there is more to it than that.  See, she was also tired, moody, needs to poop, and at the end of her bottle of seizure meds (so the medicine concentrate is different, which causes the moodiness).  Therefore, a teeny little thing like “no dear” could set her off.

And lucky you all – you all got to witness a Class A meltdown, which included the bursts of screams, the tantrum, and me abandoning my U-scan station to grab her as she made a run for the door, her howling at the check out while I broke the U-scan record for self-check out.

But hopefully you got to see me be calm, and even manage a giggle at the drama queen.  Because what else can you do in that sort of situation but check out quickly, see the humor in it and make a run for the door?

I would also like to apologize because I knew that taking her out was a risk.  But she really really wanted to come with me.  And we almost made it.  It was just those last three extremely loud minutes that went badly.

And I promise, next time, I will steer very clear of the magazine section.

9 Responses to “Attention Tesco Shoppers”

1. Suzanne Young June 26, 2012 at 4:21 pm #

We’ve all been there before. It’s embarrassing, but it sounds like you handled the situation well. Tomorrow will be so much better. BTW – how is the toilet training going? We are working on nighttime training with our special needs daughter using the underwear with wetness sensors. When they go off its sounds like a fire alarm. They say it can take 12 WEEKS before you achieve success. One day we won’t have to buy the industrial size box of Depends at Costco. Think of the money we will save!

2. lalx11 June 26, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

i can’t pass the magazine section without a MA-JOR shootmatchofthedaymatchfourfourtwomatchattax sulk-athon which means they do not move from there unless at least one of their conditions are met – each ~ so I dissent, mentally deducting from their 1st HC money. 3 can coerce.. Today may have been, in the scheme of things; for everyone’s sake and in recognition of the girls trip out :~ a magazine day for you & your daughter ~ Ulster BANK’S treat!! ~ ((o))

• phoebz4 June 26, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

Now now, you know Ulster Bank doesn’t like me using their card. And the thing is, every time she sees one of those magazines, she wants one. Every. Time. And she was already getting flowers and had gotten a trip to Mc Donald’s. Usually I can get her past things, but I think I used up all her good will at that point.

3. Barb Seay Donnegan June 26, 2012 at 5:07 pm #

Phoebe, I have been following your blog since you went viral with your “Being Retarded” post last December. I feel a great connection with your writing…. I work with students like Maura as a para in our school district. I have a niece who is on the autism spectrum and my own 25 year old daughter (who is just a free spirit) has lived in Ireland for the last 2 1/2 years. Your writings are inspirational, touching and entertaining, have you considered writing a book? Anyway I love how you handled the Tesco crisis with humor, compassion and grace. When you tell Irish stories I often am reminded of some story my daughter has shared with me. Bless you and keep writing – you are exceptionally good at it.
    Your Minnesota Fan
    Barb Donnegan

4. Denise June 26, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

I feel your “pain”. We do what we have to, but don’t you just see the irony…our children don’t “see” the nasty looks from strangers trying to will this child into submission, but we (mom) feel every single sting of those looks but are unfazed by the howler monkey next to us.

5. JO June 26, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

Keppra? Been there, done that but didn’t work for my daughter’s seizures. But my 5 y/o has to swallow pills because of her dietary therapy so luckily I don’t have to deal with concentration differences. Phew.

6. Laura@Catharsis June 26, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

I am sorry. I can relate, but I know that doesn’t make it any better. My son (who has cerebral palsy and hemiparesis from a stroke in utero) was shrieking like a Macaw at our local Meijer today, and had the cashier not mustered every last bit of her willpower to not shush him herself, we would have had a major scene on our hands today. Tomorrow is a new day. Repeat. Tomorrow is a new day.

7. LaNell Nelkin June 27, 2012 at 12:55 am #

Can I just say, “thank you”? I love to hear your stories. They so remind me that I am not alone, and my son is normal, within his personal struggles, if that makes any sense. There are many times I stop and think, what, where did that come from, as he turns into rage mode because I said no.

8. Jessica June 28, 2012 at 5:32 am #

I second LaNell. With all due respect, you write marvellously about the hurdles and holding it together. Can only imagine your speed-record at the self-check out.