Oh Wayne Brady, not you too!

13 Aug

(Apparently I need to start a series of letters to celebrities, reminding them to watch their mouths…)

My Twitter feed just exploded in a round of “Wayne Brady, NOT funny! My child is beautiful!”  from other mom-types.  So I donned my investigative glasses and did Ye Olde Internet Search.

And found instantly what all the hullabaloo was about.

sigh.

First, Wayne, I love you man.  I have laughed until I cried at some of your antics on “Whose Line is it Anyway?”  You are seriously funny and creative and have a great singing voice.  And I’ll admit – Comedy Central Roasts are a guilty pleasure of mine.  I know I shouldn’t laugh, but I do.  At this point, I won’t be watching any more of them.

You went and crossed a line during the latest Comedy Central Roast.  You made a joke about how ugly another comedian was – and then said that a beautiful little boy with Down Syndrome would be that ugly too when he was all grown up.

And quote –

“Now the thing is Jeff … these are all jokes, and I really like you. I really, really like you. But a lot of people hate you, especially Sarah Palin because you remind her of what Trig is going to look like when he’s 40.”   (Story with clip here)

Why did you think you could get away with that?  Because you were making fun of Sarah Palin by proxy and that’s okay?  You were on a roast and anything goes?   Do you know what the moms on my Twitter feed heard?  “Your child with Down Syndrome is ugly.”

Is that what you were truly thinking?  I doubt it.  But that’s how it came across to many parents of all sorts of special needs children.  Children who get made fun of on a daily basis for how they look, how they act, how they move.  Whether you meant to or not, you became one of those people who make fun of our special kids.

Yeah, I know.  It was a roast.  You get to cross lines.  But should you cross certain lines?  The audience didn’t seem to think so.  They actually booed the joke.  Do you know why they booed the joke?  Because all of his mother’s politics aside, Trig Palin is a child.  An innocent child who deserves the same amount of respect as any other child.  Not the punchline for an ugly joke.

As they would say here in Ireland – it’s shameful, that’s what it is.  Just shameful.

To learn more about Down Syndrome and how to support the families who have one of these precious people in their lives, please go to the National Down Syndrome Society

11 Responses to “Oh Wayne Brady, not you too!”

1. Laura@Catharsis August 13, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

I saw that last night. I tried not to get too sensitive. My uncle has Down Syndrome and my son has cerebral palsy. I don’t think Wayne meant harm, but that’s not an excuse. Deep in my soul, I mourned how Palin would feel about that comment, about how her son would feel if he ever heard it (and trust me, I do very little mourning for that woman). Comedy is a strange beast because on the one hand, I like — WANT — comedians to push the envelope, but on the other, not at the expense of someone’s dignity or feelings.

2. Deanne Medina August 13, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

Thanks for this. As a parent of a child with Down Syndrome, I hate this crap. My kid is awesome (and she’s incredibly cute). Why do celebrities feel the need to take pot shots at those that only want to make other happy? It sickens me.

3. Flannery August 13, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

*groan* Not another idiot celebrity that pokes fun at children with disabilities. It’s like there’s a roving gang of them. Here’s another one to scratch off my list of people to watch.

4. Angel Brookins August 13, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

*install replacement filter here* … Really, how long does it take to think about what you’re going to say?

5. Dani G August 13, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

This is getting so old. What is wrong with these people??!
    Like I keep saying, slander is slander- it’s not funny when they make fun of race, ethnicity, religion either. Douche.

6. Christine August 13, 2012 at 9:50 pm #

HOw about picking on someone who can (and would care to) fight back, Wayne Brady? Too bad, because I was a big fan. Could still be if he could recognize the error of his words. Like publicly.

7. Cheryl-Lynn August 14, 2012 at 2:56 am #

Good for you kiddo, for blogging on this! And yes, the audience noticed it too…great!!

8. lexiemom August 14, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

Amen, sister! I am also a big Wayne Brady fan, and am disappointed to hear this.

9. Serena B August 17, 2012 at 7:50 am #

You might find this a more positive read: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0816/1224322258639.html

(tl:dr? Irish kid who has Down Syndrome and is profoundly deaf passes all his leaving cert (end of secondary education) exams)

10. Laureen G September 1, 2012 at 11:28 pm #

Glad the audience booed. Maybe the man will reconsider before he speaks next time. Those kinds of things don’t come out of the mouth purely “by accident”. The person allows him/herself to think them first.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Where should comedians draw the line? - August 14, 2012

[…] It’s because he made fun of  a child with Down Syndrome on the recent Comedy Central Roast of Roseanne, something many parents of children with special needs take issue with. […]