Ann Coulter – a repeat offender (an r-word thing)

26 Sep

So yes, this is another “public figure drops the r-bomb” post.  Because ever since I wrote about our interpretation of “being retarded” – well, I notice it more now.

Once again, I have Twitter to thank for bringing this one to my attention – Repeat R-Word offender, Ann Coulter.

Oh Ann.

Ann. Ann. Ann.

What are we going to do with you?  You keep using the word “retarded” which, as a mother of a special needs child, just raises my hackles.

In 2011, you called an MSNBC host a “retarded person”.

This week, you tweeted this gem –

I’m not even sure how to address this with you.  You are a well-educated woman who is an author, a writer, a commentator.  You earn your living with words, both spoken and written.  And yet you keep flinging the word “retarded” around as an insult to people.

Well, it is insulting.  But not in the way you mean it.

It’s insulting to anyone with a mental disability, or who has a loved one with a mental disability.  It’s insulting to those of us who have children with a label of “mentally retarded”.  It is insulting to my child, to my children, to my husband and to me.

Let me tell you a story Ann…

Maura and Miriam

A couple of years ago, my daughter Miriam came home from school, storming into the house, in a state of anger I’d never seen from her before.  She was told by a friend that her younger sister Maura was being made fun of at school. This upset Miriam a lot.  Now I did not jump to instant fury.  Sometimes things get blown up in the retelling. Instead, I decided to ask about it at school.

Except before I could ask anyone at school what was going on, I witnessed first-hand a classmate of Maura’s making fun of her.  Right in front of me. I was nearly speechless, I was so shocked by this little girl gleefully mocking my child, who at the time, was crying and upset over something.

When I talked to the teacher the next day, I found out that this was an ongoing problem.  When I talked to a friend, I found out that her child was also being made fun of for having special needs.

There’s a point to this story Ann.  Which is this –

How are we supposed to be teaching our children not to bully, not to make fun of those who are different, to grow up to be kind good people who respect others, when adults like you hurl the word “retarded” around as an insult?

I would love to see how you can explain your choice of words to my older three children.  Please, explain to them how it’s okay for you to use the word “retarded” the way you do.  Because even to my 12 year old, it’s not an acceptable word choice.  My 16 yr old son would use the word “pathetic” to describe an adult who uses “retarded” as an insult.

I have a very smart 16 year old.

So really, any time you want to discuss with my children why it’s okay to hurl the word “retarded” as an insult, please, come on over.

I think you could learn a thing or two.

In the meantime, I won’t hold my breath and think that you’ll actually change your ways.  It would be lovely if you did, but obviously, you don’t care enough as you keep flinging the word about as an insult. Sure, it is within your rights.  You can use that word all you want to describe voters and tv hosts and anyone else you choose.

But let’s be honest – the only person it makes look stupid…is you.

19 Responses to “Ann Coulter – a repeat offender (an r-word thing)”

1. wonkafonka September 26, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

Ann Coulter is disgusting and hateful. You, however, are awesome. 🙂

2. Anne McCarron Liptak September 26, 2012 at 2:23 pm #

Ann Coulter is a very well educated woman: sending this directly to her, via the O’Reilly show, The Factor, could actually make a difference in her choice of words…just my thoughts.

• Heather September 26, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

I second this. Send it straight to them and see how they respond.

• phoebz4 September 26, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

I did tweet it to her, but maybe I’ll take up your suggestion 🙂

3. Wendy Carroll September 26, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

What a horrible woman she is.

4. saracvt September 26, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

On Wednesday, September 26, 2012, Herding Cats wrote: > phoebz4 posted: “So yes, this is another “public figure drops the r-bomb” post. Because ever since I wrote about our interpretation of “being retarded” – well, I notice it more now. Once again, I have Twitter to thank for bringing this one to my attention – Repeat ” >

5. Aimee Oswald September 26, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

Thank you for bringing this to the light. My husband and I are sending Ms Coulter our thoughts on her terrible behavior and hopefully our friends will too. Like your Maura our daughter Sophie is a wonderful and special little girl who has had to suffer others calling her names, including the R word to her face. Horrible when children do it, No words for when a supposedly educated adult does it.

6. denverlori September 26, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

exhale! as usual, your response is beautiful! Shame on Ann Coulter!

7. Ntouch2cher September 26, 2012 at 11:52 pm #

Good on you!!! You are an inspiration!! I was boasting about you this week on my blog, when I went on a rant when a mental health professional wrote the R word on her facebook page. A friend posted later that she heard a nurse say this word when she was with one of her twin babies at a children’s hospital! I agree that you should mention this via The O’Reilly Show.

8. Life's Unexpected Blessings September 27, 2012 at 11:56 am #

Great post! You really have a way with words, it’s so sad that there is so much ignorance in society today.

9. Ellie September 27, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

Yah! i agree! it really bothers me! ever since i read that post about maura! all my friends use it at school and it would bother the heck outa me! i finally started a petition against using that word in a condecending way and finally its caught on! YAY! thank you for making a change in my live and beeing inspiring, maura!!

• phoebz4 September 28, 2012 at 4:04 am #

Wow! Thank you for sharing that, you are awesome!

10. Neurotic Iraqimom September 27, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

ughhh how much I hate that word and despise the people who use it!!!

11. Jessica Storm Williams September 28, 2012 at 4:18 am #

I personally think Ann Coulter is just insane…not that that give her any leeway in her choice of words.

12. Spectrummy Mummy October 23, 2012 at 9:33 am #

I’m so sorry that your little girl had to experience this firsthand. I dread the day this will happen to us, which it will as long as adults and role-models continue to promote such hateful language.

13. ashley1880 October 23, 2012 at 10:50 am #

“The only person it makes look stupid is you.” YESSSS! Love that!

14. wantapeanut October 23, 2012 at 3:39 pm #

Yes – she will never stop using the word. But maybe we can convince others to. Nicely done!

15. prayingforparker October 24, 2012 at 6:37 pm #

Great post! Maybe together we can all make a difference! http://www.prayingforparker.com/ann-coulter-and-the-difference-she-could-have-made/

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Who You Hurt « Herding Cats - October 23, 2012

[…] said it before, I’ll say it again – the only person who looks stupid when you use the word […]