Music Monday – Christmas in Dublin

3 Dec

Okay, it’s December.  We can start playing Christmas music.

So, what do you hear on the radio in Dublin at Christmas?  A lot of the usual – White Christmas, Rudolph, Frosty…

But then, there’ll be a song you’ll go “Wait – what?”

Some of it is obvious – Bono singing “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)” or Enya singing Silent Night in Irish (that would be “Oíche Chiúin” for the record – don’t ask me to try to pronounce it.)

But then there’s others.  Like Slade’s “Merry Christmas Everybody”, which one of the classes at Miriam’s school performed for the Christmas concert – it was hilarious! (And this video is worth a watch.  Oh 1973.  You were not a pretty year, lol!)

But the one that I will always associate with Dublin now, is Fairytale of New York, by the Pogues.  I’ll be honest, I only heard of this song originally through one of my fabulous Jennifer friends.  But I hadn’t listened to it.  Until I got to Dublin.  Where they play it all the time.  Okay, maybe that’s because my favorite station is more alternative/indie music.  The Pogues fit their bill.

It’s not a pretty song in most every way, Fairytale of New York.  It’s basically a story of love lost, a bit bitter and angry.  It’s the antithesis of all kinds of Christmas music, with a lovely upbeat tempo and a tin whistle.  Maybe it appeals to my slightly cynical side.  But I like it.

It won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, I get that.  But if you come to Dublin at Christmastime, expect to hear it.  And expect to hear people singing along to it. Because people do that here, randomly sing along with songs in store.  It’s awesome.

And if that’s not enough for you, here’s an Irish Christmas ad that cracks me up.

7 Responses to “Music Monday – Christmas in Dublin”

1. wonkafonka December 3, 2012 at 9:11 am #

LOVE that song.

2. lordcaradoc December 3, 2012 at 11:46 am #

Due to friends and Pandora, I’ve come across some great alternative holiday music and now I spend most of my holiday music time with Celtic and/or Bluegrass tunes.

My favorite album is from the Chieftains, The Bells of Dublin with songs like “The Rebel Jesus” and “St. Stephen’s Day Murders” it has some darkness, but is still very cool. I also like Paul Brady’s “Arthur McBride”, so it is in my Christmas Playlist too. 😀

• phoebz4 December 3, 2012 at 11:51 am #

Rebel Jesus – I must check that out!

3. Jessica December 3, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

Kirsty McColl was a great singer. Too bad she died at such a young age.

4. Dottie December 3, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

This is one of those Christmas songs I have missed over here. I love it and the tin whistle is fab.

5. Hillary December 4, 2012 at 10:12 am #

Ah thank you so much for this! I now have the end to my short story 🙂 But as a former New Yorker (now in Philly) this is a Christmas song worth keeping in rotation!

• phoebz4 December 4, 2012 at 10:22 am #