Hamster in the crock pot

5 Dec

hamster-wallpaper-10When I was a tween girl, I had a hamster.  He lived in an aquarium on a shelf in my bedroom, high up from little siblings, the cat and the dog.

Or so I thought.

One day, I came home from school to a note from my mom – “Your hamster is in the crock pot.”

And sure enough, my hamster was in the crock pot.

But not with chicken stock and vegetables bubbling away.  He was just in the unplugged, completely off crock pot trying to figure out what was up with the change of scenery.

Needless to say, when my mom came home, I said something like “Gee, I know money’s tight, but the hamster won’t go far in a stew.  Wouldn’t the cat or dog be better for dinner?”

Speaking of the cat – he was why the hamster ended up in the crock pot.  Because our cat – who one winter allowed mice to frolic in our kitchen and basement unharmed – decided to become the Great White Hunter and go for the caged animal.  My mother was getting ready to go out somewhere, and heard a crash.  The cat had somehow nudged the hamster’s cage off the shelf.  My mother managed to rescue the hamster in the nick of time, but was standing there going “Shoot, I have to leave, where do I put this creature?” when she spotted the tall crock pot with the smooth walls.  She plopped the hamster in there, locked the cat in the basement, scribbled out a note and rushed out the door.

In my family – this all sort of made sense.

Oddly enough, this wasn’t the first time we had a pet in a kitchen appliance.  Another time, my mom and I were sitting at the kitchen counter when we heard meowing.  Thinking the cat wanted out of the basement, I went and opened the basement door – only there was no cat.  We looked around a little, but didn’t see him.  We checked the back door, just in case he slipped outside without anyone noticing.  No cat.

And there we sat again, at the kitchen counter.  And we heard muffled meowing.  I glanced over at the refrigerator and thought “nooo…” – but I reached over, opened the refrigerator door and out walked the cat.

(My little brother was rummaging through the fridge, long enough for the cat to sneak in, but shut the door before the cat could get out.)

So the other day, when we lost the tiny dog somewhere in the house, as I wandered through the kitchen, I instinctively opened the refrigerator door.

Just to be sure.

Tiny dog was actually outside.  Like a normal pet.

12 Responses to “Hamster in the crock pot”

1. Jessica December 5, 2012 at 10:34 am #

They eat hamsters, as protein (and because they’re, supposedly, flavourful. I wouldn’t know, haven’t tried and is not likely to do), in some parts of south america. Reading the headline I totally thought you were destitute and had to resolve to anything proteinish ;). Makes sense though, just put the thing where it won’t escape and where cat won’t find it either.

The cat in the fridge made for a great laugh – thanks 🙂

• phoebz4 December 5, 2012 at 10:53 am #

My kids refuse to try lamb. There’s no way hamster for dinner would fly, lol!

• Jessica December 7, 2012 at 8:26 am #

Isn’t it sorts of obligatory to like lamb when living in Ireland? Not that I am overly fond of lamb but I don’t live in Ireland. And no, I won’t be eating hamster anytime soon either. I did have some strange cuts of meat while travelling in Asia. Fortunately, language barriers made it impossible for me to figure out what it was exactly.

• phoebz4 December 7, 2012 at 8:36 am #

there is a lot of lamb for sale in Ireland. So yes, it’s kind of obligatory, lol! As is liking fish (which I don’t…oops…)

2. Tina Pope December 5, 2012 at 10:49 am #

I love your stories! This one is really good

3. Rain Marie Bush Smith December 5, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

That’s good! We had loose gerbils in my mother’s closet for years, despite the cats.

4. Christa Jennings December 5, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

I once heard muffled meowing in the kitchen, and tracked it down to the cat shut in the dishwasher. She loves to drink the water left in the upturned bottoms of things, and someone had left the dishwasher open for a while, and then shut it, not noticing she was in there. I have no idea how long she had been there when I found her.

• phoebz4 December 5, 2012 at 2:10 pm #

See? Totally normal to look for pets in appliances!

• Jessica December 8, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

Cats seems to love washing machines, too. Easy to slip in when the door is ajar.

5. Rosemary Rizzuto Moses Niedziela December 5, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

And in the recent past the cat made it into the wash machine while I was washing sheets. Kept the family honor intact & no cat was injured in the telling of this story, … or washing of the sheets.
    Mom

6. Starfish Therapies December 5, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

This is great! We haven’t had any appliance stories yet but my cat and dog are home visiting my family with me for the holidays and my parents are loving all the places they manage to get into!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Why I never ever buy tinsel | Herding Cats - December 1, 2015

[…] we had some embarrassing pet moments in the 1980’s. The hamster in the crock pot incident. The cat my little sister colored in with red marker. The time my mom had to call an […]