Why Sean needs to wear a sweater or jacket or something

20 Jan

Sean, our second offspring, is his father’s child in so many ways.  One of them is that he never gets cold.  Or claims he never gets cold.

When he was in 2nd grade, I asked him if he was ready for school.  He said “Yep.” and started heading to the door, in his jeans, short sleeved t-shirt, and backpack on.

I said “Stop.”

He said “What?”

“Aren’t you forgetting something?”

Frown.  “No?”

“Your coat?”

Sean looked at me, all big blue eyes and seriousness.  “I need a coat?”

I pointed to the big picture window.  “It’s January, it’s below 32 degrees and it’s snowing.  You need a coat.”

“OH!”

<headthunk from mom>

I had to make a deal with him in elementary school, that he had to wear a hoodie if it was under 60 degrees.  If it was below 50 degrees, he had to zip it up.  If it hit 45 degrees, he had to wear his winter coat.  If it went below freezing, he had to zip it up.

This worked out well, and then he seemed to hit an age where he didn’t need coat reminders.  And then we moved to Ireland.

Now, Irish weather is pretty much the same – dampish, 50-something degrees.  A heat wave is when it hits 70 and there’s sun.  Sean’s been enjoying this weather because he doesn’t need a coat or jacket. And school is just a quick dart across the street and down the block.  So there’s really no time for him to get cold.  While other boys are wearing coats over their school sweaters, scarves, hats, gloves, etc, my son is the boy in his shirt sleeves.  His school sweater shrank last winter, and by the time we replaced it, he learned he didn’t have to wear. Right after that, his class was going to see “War Horse” and his teacher found him a school jacket to wear, because they were walking to the cinema and the teacher was afraid Sean would get cold.

Sean brought the jacket home in his backpack.

sigh.

So Winter has really hit Ireland this week.  There’s snow in the hills and ice falling from the skies.  And yet, there’s Sean, in his short sleeves and me going “For God’s sake, wear a jacket!”   He still swears he’s not cold, but the goosebumps on his arms tell a different tale.  I’ve tried telling him that we spent 56 euros on the school sweater, we WILL get our money’s worth out of it.  I told him that little Irish grannies are probably weeping for him and wondering why his mother won’t provide warm clothing for him.

Tonight, I finally told him that he needs to at least wear his sweater to school tomorrow.  Because it’s snowing, etc.

This is how it went though –

“Wear your sweater for God’s sake, it’s cold out there!  Honestly, if we were all in the car, in the mountains, and the car died and we were stranded, you’ll be the first to go.  We’ll have to eat you because you’ll be the first to freeze to death!”

He laughed.

sigh.

Sean in Rome, in January.  It was 54 degrees and sunny.

Sean in Rome, in January. It was 54 degrees and sunny. The rest of us had jackets on.

10 Responses to “Why Sean needs to wear a sweater or jacket or something”

1. sarafoley January 20, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

So funny 🙂 My son also refuses to wear a jumper or long pants in winter. Granted, we do live in Australia, but not in a part where we never get cold. In winter he wears a tshirt and shorts, even if it’s frosty. I have to threaten to ring his teacher to get him to wear a jumper :). I sigh as well, and say no brain no pain 🙂

2. Renee Anne January 20, 2013 at 4:51 pm #

Welcome to my world. My husband claims he’s never cold. It’s 60F outside today and he’s running around in shorts and a t-shirt. I had enough sense to put long pants on (the breeze is a bit cold here in the bay).

3. Jamie January 20, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

My daughter is the same way. She doesn’t like the texture so she perfers shorts and t-shirts. It is OK most of the year since we live in Texas. The 2 months of winter that we do get, is my broken record saying … go put your coat, jeans and socks on ….

~ Jamie

4. Gretchen Archinal January 20, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

I have one of those too! Michigan winters with a sweater or a hoodie. Can’t wait for him to go to college next where I don’t have to watch it!

• phoebz4 January 20, 2013 at 5:08 pm #

We moved from Michigan, lol! I know those winters well. Hence the temperature rules 😉

5. Jessica January 20, 2013 at 7:39 pm #

I’m not sensitive to cold either. Above 25 C in the summer is too much for me. Been away from home for a bit now so I never experienced the deep inclines of temperatures around .-20C, at those outdoors temps even I crank up the thermostat.
    I’d demand usage of a 56 euro sweater too. Just to get some value at least. 😉

6. Lynn January 20, 2013 at 8:51 pm #

I have one of these children also! When he started school I made him wear long sleeve shirts to school in Jan. (we are in eastern Canada). After about a week I received a note from the teacher asking if my son had any short sleeve shirts as he was finding the school too hot and could not think with his arms covered. He is in grade 9 now and every day I feel like the bad parent sending my child out into the snow in a t-shirt and hoodie to walk the half hour to school. He has winter coats, but finds them too warm. Glad to know he is not alone!

7. Bright Side of Life January 21, 2013 at 8:25 am #

I am coming to Ireland at the beginning of April. Do I need to bring a sweater or jacket or something? 🙂

• phoebz4 January 21, 2013 at 8:31 am #

You always bring a jacket when coming to Ireland, even in August. Then buy a sweater here. And a scarf. Just to be sure.

8. Virginia Blasi January 21, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

I taught high school for 32 years. it always amazed me how many boys of all sizes and shapes would come to school in shorts or short shirts in the winter. We live by ocean in New Jersey and for some it seems like summer is never far away and flip flops are always acceptable gear.