Funny, I don’t feel old

12 Feb

I turned forty this year.  40.  The big 4-0.

I don’t think I’m taking it well.

I don’t feel 40.  I don’t think I look 40.  But there are certain things that creep up to let me know that I’m officially “Old” according to some chart some where.

Like the fact that I’m no longer allowed to wear a short skirt according to some fashion law somewhere (not that I wear short skirts, but I’d like to have the option.)  Or that Claire’s in the mall had fluffy neon skirts a la 1986.  The 13 year old girl in me still turns her nose up at neon colors.  And I’ve already done the shorts with tights look in college (and really, if I had the figure, I’d so do that again, Doc Marten boots and all.)

I’ve realized I’ve wasted my 30’s being chubby.  I want to wear cool clothes again before I’m doomed to elasticated waistbands and sensible shoes.  (I’ve lost 17 lbs since August, 7 of those since last month, so I’m on my way.)

I’ve come to realize that maybe, just maybe, my shot at being a rock star has passed me by.

I look at my sons and wonder “When did they get so TALL?”  It’s hard to pass yourself off as a young mom when your boys are looming over you, all teenager-like.

I spend part of my day wishing I’d done more, and the other part going “Wow, I’ve done a lot!”

Suddenly, a tattoo doesn’t seem like a stupid idea and I have three new red lipsticks.

I think I’m having a mid-life crisis.

Quick, someone get me a cool car and some skin firming cream.

7 Responses to “Funny, I don’t feel old”

1. Suzanne February 12, 2013 at 8:49 am #

I so completely relate, but I will be 55 at the end of the month. Holy Hell! That means I will be turning 60 which is so damn old sooner that you! Like you I a considering a tattoo, but keeping telling myself I have to lose 15 pounds before I do it. Will that day ever come?! As to facial cream – monthly facials are keeping some of the wrinkles at bay, but they seem to be increasing at a rapid pace now that menopause is knocking at my door. Gah! It’s good I am still immature, that helps keep me feeling younger.

2. My Pajama Days February 12, 2013 at 9:17 am #

This is awesome! I am turning 40 in April, and constantly have this inner conversation. I don’t want to think of it as a mid-life crisis, but more of a mid-life epiphany. Our priorities are more focused at this age, I think. I’ve given up worrying about hair and makeup for worrying about my daughters’ hair and makeup. Sigh. I actually miss the days of leggings, tunic tops and Doc Martens, but alas, it is only cool to wear those retro styles if you are too young to still remember them.

• phoebz4 February 12, 2013 at 10:17 am #

No it’s not! I still wear my tunic tops, leggings and Doc Martens, lol! It’s a very Irish look, the boots/leggings/top look. With a fabulous scarf. Just make it work for you 🙂

3. wonkafonka February 12, 2013 at 9:46 am #

I got my tattoo right before I turned 40, and I love it!!!!

4. Bright Side of Life February 13, 2013 at 2:42 am #

Happy Birthday! 🙂

5. mick day May 29, 2016 at 7:52 am #

I totally agree with you young lady,I’m 65 and wear what I like and why not.life doesn’t end when you reach a certain age.Get out there and express yourself and above all have FUN.😎

6. Liz May 30, 2016 at 12:48 pm #

You’re my new best friend! My parents both died this past year, and I just turned 40 on the 21st of May. I’m not handling this well at ALL! My kid is 14, our oldest kids are almost 25 and 26 (combined family, thank all the Gods! Can’t claim then chronologically!) and I’m just weeping in the corner, buying sparkly nailpolish and hoping nobody cares that all I seem to do these days is talk to my cats.
    Ugh.