Let’s hear the positives!

13 Feb

We all have heard the bad school stories – lord knows I have my own share.  Ones I’ve been dwelling on lately having come across Maura’s Big Pink Binder of IEP’s  (as God as my witness, as long as that special ed director is still in her position, I will not move my child back to that school district.)

But I also know there are good stories out there – Maura’s current school is one of those good stories.  If I could, I would open up more schools like it, all over the U.S., so parents can send their children to school happy and worry-free.

So if you’re in a fabulous school district, brag about it in my comments section!  I want to hear about the good schools!

8 Responses to “Let’s hear the positives!”

1. Nicole February 13, 2013 at 11:35 am #

Hi Phoebe,
    I’m in BC, Canada and my 10 yo daughter has been in school for 3 years now. We’ve had excellent people to work with, the school has been amazing, principals, aides, resources teachers – we’ve been really lucky so far. And my dd can be quite challenging in that she is non-verbal, not so good with pecs and generally quite low functioning. But she loves school, and I’m so glad it’s been so positive for all of us so far!

2. Debbie Lareau February 13, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

Hello! We live in Nampa, Idaho, USA and my 9 year-old daughter has high functioning autism. She is doing wonderful, thanks in part to the school district we are in and the principal of the school who is wonderful. She started out at this school in Kindergarten after 2 years of a special pre-school program. She wouldn’t talk to anyone, looked at the floor and came home crying because the kids were being mean to her. They weren’t she just had a hard time understanding compliments. When they said the loved the curls in her hair, she thought they were being mean. She has a hard time understanding opposites. She is now a happy 4th grader, smiles at everyone, says hello to all the teachers and staff and has been moved out of her special needs classes to the grade-level classes! We are so very proud of her! The school is the best and they work so hard to make sure all the kids are well taken care of and learning.

3. Jessi Cash February 13, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

We’re in St. Tammany Parrish, Louisiana. We moved out of a terrible, I mean TERRIBLE, area of east TN before here. The two are like night and day! Here, my son receives OT, ST, and has a reading coach. He is mainstreamed, as he was in TN, but he is actually keeping up with his neurotypically developing peers in class and actually outpacing them in subjects like math and social studies, thanks to an in class para(professional). His class is a “test” class in that he is one of five autistic children. His primary school believes in a peer to peer mentoring approach in order to make everyone feel welcome. I didn’t even cry at his IEP meeting in the fall. Any time that there has been a problem, no matter how big or small, it has been dealt with immediately. We are ALL happy here and my child is thriving. He made the A/B honor roll for the first time last grade period. He has friends.

• Shauna February 26, 2013 at 11:53 am #

Hi Jessi!

I’m very curious, what school does your daughter attend in St. Tammany? We are having no luck in Jefferson Parish and are considering moving if we find the right school. Any information would be great! Thanks! -Shauna

4. JoDee February 13, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

We live in Sparta Michigan. Lexie is now 12 and in the 6th grade she has been in spec ed with various services ranging from OT, ST and resource room since she was 3 so that is 9 years of IEPs under our belt. I have had nothing but good experiences in our district. Her teams of teachers and therapists have always gone above and beyond to help her succeed and because of them she is thriving in school and loves it to the point that due to the lovely weather we have had and the snow days she has been heart broke not to be in school. They have provided the accommodations she needs with out a bat of the eye and have no problems if her or I suggest something that we feel may be helpful. They have also taught her to be a wonderful self-advocate!!! Praises to the Special Education Department of Sparta Michigan!!!

5. Lyn Fattorini February 13, 2013 at 6:31 pm #

We live in Geraldine, New Zealand. The primary school here, has been incredibly supportive, even fighting the Ministry of Education to get the school re-fenced once they realised Daniel could fit through the bars (he’s a runner). I had found a teacher aide while Daniel was still in preschool, who is fluent in sign-language, which we’ve used with Daniel due to him being extremely visual and chronic glue-ear. The school happily employed her into their pool of teacher aides despite her not being a teacher/trained aide. If there are issues, we all work together to find a solution, and they are very much for inclusion. The children in the school (currently, a new year here and about 300 pupils) are thoughtful, kind and considerate – the school teaches them that everyone is different, every person has value and strengths and deserves respect. We are very very lucky to live where we do. I know of other schools in New Zealand, where children are excluded, and if there’s not enough funding hours per week for teacher aides, the child is sent home. Geraldine Primary School rocks!!

6. walkingrunningstumbling February 14, 2013 at 12:26 pm #

We’re in the English county of Devon, and my 12-year-old ASD son attends a secondary school for higher-functioning special needs children. About 50% of the kids in the school are on the autistic spectrum. It’s as if this school was custom created just for our son. Everything about it is amazing. Before that he was in a mainstream primary school in the same city. While he had an excellent almost-full-time teaching assistant our son struggled socially in his last few years. Our son’s confidence has skyrocketed since he started at his current school. There’s a strong emphasis on life skills, so the school will teach him things like taking public transport by himself. As his math skills are stronger than his classmates (all 7 of them!) his teacher sets some more challenging work for him. For the first time he has true friends. I cannot sing the praises of this school loud and high enough.

7. My Dance in the Rain February 14, 2013 at 10:51 pm #

I’m in Raeford, NC. We moved from FL because they suck and refused to give my daughter any in-home school services because she could not attend school physically. Her immune system is too weak among other things. Here, our IEP meeting was wonderful and wverything I asked for they had her evaled and approved her. I could not be happier, they come to the house and she is only in the pre-school stage. They told me as long as I am open with them they will do their best to provide her with all the servies she needs. They are aware she may never be healthy enough to attend school physically and as long as she is within their district she will receive in-home services. I am very happy!