FYI…about dogs and oil

4 Mar

Dogs and sunflower oil should not mix.

If they do, they will vomit said oil onto your carpet.  And you’ll have to bathe the little dog, who is still a greasy mop head after two shampoos.

And if you think about taking pity on the poor freshly bathed and partially dry shivering little dog by inviting her up on your lap and cuddling her into a blanket, and say “Whatever you do, don’t vomit on my lap” – well, my brother and son were vastly amused when the little dog instantly vomited on my lap as if on cue.

Oh, and a sunflower oil coated Yorkie?  Will smell a bit funky, even after two shampoos.

6 Responses to “FYI…about dogs and oil”

1. Jessica March 4, 2013 at 6:14 am #

how did the dog come across the oil?

• phoebz4 March 4, 2013 at 10:18 am #

someone (probably Maura) left the cabinet door open. And maybe knocked over the oil/left the cap off. We never did find the cap.

2. Amanda Sheahan March 4, 2013 at 10:51 am #

Can you get Dawn Dishwashing liquid? Seriously. I volunteered at the BP oil spill, and it is what the wildlife rehabbers use on the oil-slicked wildlife. It’s not just an advertising gimmick the company made up. They also pop Bepto-Bismol down their throats to get the oil to move on out the other end – though I’d check with the vet on this one to get the right dose. If Dawn can get crude oil off birds and otters, surely it can get sunflower oil off small dogs! Just use the basic blue stuff. I’m sure it’s available in Ireland: I think I saw it in Tesco when we were visiting.

• phoebz4 March 4, 2013 at 11:44 am #

No, no Dawn here. I’ve used it before when I had to mop a gallon of vegetable oil off my floor once upon a time. I was kind of wishing we had some last night. but at least her tummy’s better.

• Jessica March 4, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

Maybe another dish soap can work just as well (fairy detergent or some other brand)?

• phoebz4 March 5, 2013 at 6:53 am #

We just gave her another bath and she is less greasy looking now. But I did eye the Fairy liquid if that didn’t work 😉