Name that show

29 Mar

Maura doesn’t have a normal-sized vocabulary, so she makes things up as she goes along.  Especially when it comes to movie or show titles.  She really can’t read, so it’s not like she’s making note of the screen credits.

My favorite by far is “Hairbrush”.  Aka Rapunzel.  When she asks for Hairbrush, she means she wants to watch “Tangled”.  Then there’s “Move It”, which is, obviously, some form of “Madagascar”.  “Wolf” is “Alpha and Omega”. “Frog” is close to its actual title – “The Princess and the Frog”, and “Penguins!” is “Penguins of Madagascar”.  As you can see, she tries to get some component of the actual name in there, and if you can figure it around the not-perfect speech patterns, you can usually figure things out.  Like “Tori” is “Victorious”, and “Tinkbell” for Tinkerbell.

Sadly, she can say “Winx” perfectly.

But it was the other day that she threw us for a loop.  “I want home!”  she cried.

“Honey, you are home.”

“Nooo!  I want Home?  Peeeeeeeeeeas?  Home?”

Home.  Home home home.  What was she talking about?  Michigan?  Did her memory banks go back that far?

The next day, I asked if she wanted to watch a movie.  “Yes!”  I turned on the dvr and she started up again.  “Home! I want Home!”

Home…home…what could be home?  I stared at the titles on the screen.  I tried to figure out which movie had a component of home.  Then it hit me.  I looked at her and said “There’s no place like home?”

“HOME!  YEAH!”

She wanted to watch “The Wizard of Oz”.

Home.

Of course.

Who needs Sudoku?  I have Maura to keep me in brain teasers.

9 Responses to “Name that show”

1. Nancy S March 29, 2013 at 1:49 pm #

Wonderful!

2. Lynn March 29, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

With my son it is music. He will want to hear a song so he will hum out some of the tune, we then have to figure out which song it is he wants us to put on his mp3 player. He is verbal and sometimes he can help us with a key word or a few of the lyrics, but userly he does not remember them. Lots of fun for the whole family!

3. Renee Anne March 29, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

Little Man is only 2.5 years old and we have trouble understanding him 90% of the time. He’ll often repeat himself when he wants to watch a movie…..but there are some we understand. Nemo (Finding Nemo). Wall-E (Wall-E). Dontee (Shrek or any variation of Shrek – he’s saying “donkey”). Kitty (Puss In Boots or Shrek). Bunny (Wallace & Gromit and the Curse of the Ware-Rabbit). And, of course, Pingu. Oh, and he’ll say, “Gabba” for Yo Gabba Gabba.

Most of the time, though, it’s like talking to a tiny cab driver.

4. Mary C. March 29, 2013 at 5:50 pm #

LOVE IT! My son says “door” for store and Dora, “ba” seat belt and bath, “al dun” for all done, if he said home it would probably mean “Home Alone.”

5. Crista March 29, 2013 at 6:17 pm #

Every time I read your blog I sit and shake my head and say ‘that’s SO Ian!’ He does the same thing, Hair for Tangled, Move It for Madagascar, Home for Wizard of Oz but my favourite is when he curls up his hands like claws and growls… How to Train your Dragon. Next time you get confuzzled – drop me a line and I’ll ask Ian to translate. 🙂

• phoebz4 March 30, 2013 at 9:47 am #

How to Train Your Dragon is “hippup” – aka Hiccup. lol!

6. Sylvia March 30, 2013 at 8:27 am #

We really do need to know the language better! Before Bethany could say anything at all she would point to her elbow when she wanted to Elmo! It took us a long time to figure that one out!

7. Jessica March 31, 2013 at 5:10 am #

Sudoku is for whimps anyway 😉 😉

• Jessica March 31, 2013 at 5:12 am #

When the child of a friend wanted to watch Totoro, she’d hum the theme melody of it. Who needs sudoku/crossword-puzzles/jeopardy when that’s at a play.