Seattle-bound

17 Apr

All good things must come to an end.  In this instance, the Good Thing Ending is our time in Dublin.  Come July, we’ll be packing up house, kids and dogs and moving to the Seattle area.

It was a tough call. We love it here.  We love the people, the city, the country.  I love being ten minutes from the Irish Sea.  I love seeing a mountain from my front window.  I love how I can end up in a conversation with a stranger just because that’s what you do here.  I love sitting in a cozy pub with a pint with friends.

But it was time to move on and the right offer came.  So we go.

I am looking forward to certain things.  Like the biggest clothes dryer possible.  And fluffy soft warm towels.  And a huge clothes washer.  Wide roads and big parking spots.  A thunderstorm, with lots of lightning.  An actual summer.* And oddly enough – resale shops where I can buy old furniture and do them up.  I don’t know why, but I miss that sort of thing.  Not that I did a lot of that before.

There are pros and cons to moving.  The biggest con is leaving behind Maura’s school.  I’ve decided that we’ll just have to hit up some local billionaires known for their charitable works and get the funds to start a school like it in our area.   The biggest pro about moving is how excited my family and friends are to have us back in the U.S.

In the meantime, I can barely think about the move as we have Confirmation and First Communion coming up in the next two weeks, plus a performance night for Miriam.  And a charity golf outing for Maura’s school.   And so on.

While I’m still here, I’m still going to be living here.  I’ll have plenty of time to miss it when I’m gone.  Meanwhile, I will be too busy stressing about moving to a place I’ve never been to.

eep.

Ah, it’ll be grand, I’m sure.

ETA – please note that I know Seattle is not known for its long hot summers.  I am very aware of that, their penchant for long rainy seasons and times of gloom.  I am prepared for those times too.  But I have a friend here, ironically, who has lived in the Seattle area for 12 years.  It is on her authority that I write there is an actual summer-like time period between July and September.  Keep in mind, the climate in Ireland is VERY moderate and changes VERY slowly.  Last “summer” in Dublin was two non-consecutive days where it hit 70 degrees.  And they thought it was “roasting” out.  At 70 degrees.  Certainly Seattle can manage better than that.  Though after my time here, I’ll probably burst into flames at 80 degrees, lol!

19 Responses to “Seattle-bound”

1. Kelly Ibe April 17, 2013 at 10:01 am #

Feel free to e-mail me if you need anything once you get here. Safe travels!

2. J April 17, 2013 at 10:13 am #

I live just a bit south in Portland, Oregon. You will see a mountain! Hopefully out your window, but it’s difficult to avoid the beautiful Mt. Rainier. You could be right on the Puegot Sound, or on Lake Washington, with boats and crew and people who talk like sailors! Seattle is to coffee as Ireland is to beer…but beer is huge and pubs are plenty! I can’t help with the schools at all, but the beauty and weather will not be too drastically different from Ireland. Our pastor just moved here from Scotland and feel quite at home. Blessings on your move, that Maura and the rest of the kids transtition smoothly, and enjoy every last minute you get to be there – even drying your clothes. PS. One more plus – once a week or less shopping and a big refridgerator!

3. Darcy Pennington Arnold April 17, 2013 at 10:22 am #

We welcome you back to the states. Can use your voice in so many issues:).

And, if no one told you, moving to Seattle does not guarantee you a “real summer”. Sending an invite to you and family…if you make it to the Denver area, stop by. The conversations we could have:)

4. Wendy Carroll April 17, 2013 at 10:29 am #

I’m not too far from Seattle. It’s lovely up here. Of course, I’ve been to Ireland so I know what beauty you’re leaving behind. Still, welcome home!

5. Renee Anne April 17, 2013 at 11:10 am #

Woo-hoo for coming back to the US. I think I’d feel a little out of whack about Maura’s school, too. It sounds like a wonderful school…and we all remember how schools in the US can be. ::sigh::

6. Siobhan Wolf April 17, 2013 at 12:27 pm #

Good luck with your time remaining and also with the move. Just a little heads up, there isn’t really proper summer in the Seattle area, I’m sorry to say. And to my mind, the roads are a lot more narrow there than they are in the midwest.

• phoebz4 April 17, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

The roads cannot possibly be narrower than Ireland’s. My friend here who is from Seattle would agree with me 😉 Heck, we found British roads to be huge compared to Ireland’s.

7. Nayad April 17, 2013 at 4:17 pm #

Oh, I love Seattle! And I go there sometimes! So I approve of this choice. It’s beautiful there. 🙂

• phoebz4 April 17, 2013 at 4:44 pm #

Ooooo! You may show up? I’ll start a bail money fund.

• Nayad April 17, 2013 at 4:51 pm #

This is one of those self-fulfilling dealies where you say that about bail money and then my response to you gets me put in jail, yeah? 😉

• phoebz4 April 17, 2013 at 5:01 pm #

Well…if you want it to. We could even hit nearby Canada, make it an International Incident!

• Nayad April 17, 2013 at 5:05 pm #

Okay, now this is getting good!

• phoebz4 April 17, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

Go big or go home.

8. Mary C. April 17, 2013 at 5:19 pm #

Two of the reasons I started reading your blog was because of the issues of raising a child with special needs, the other was the fact that you are an American living in Dublin. I too have lived in Dublin and still have family and friends there. I love it there!
    But there are some things to look forward too when you arrive back in the States…no more immersion water heaters/hot press, no more electric showers with a trickle of water coming down, no more freezing cold toilet seats, cheaper gas, makeup, clothes, coffee to go, DVD/blue rays! Lets face it it will be less expensive in general! And no one giving you that backhanded compliment, “God, you’re not at all like an American!”

9. Heidi McNulty April 18, 2013 at 4:18 pm #

Hi, i’ve read your blog and never commented, but I have lived in Seattle my entire life and am happy to answer any questions you may have. I have three children and live in NE Seattle (very close to University of Washington and the University Village). My husband grew up on Capitol Hill and I grew up on Bainbridge island. My kids go to amazing local public schools (though I am not familiar with what’s available for children with special needs but i’d be happy to do a little asking around). My husband also attended and my mother taught at fantastic local Catholic schools as well. We absolutly LOVE Seattle and I can tell you it is an amazing place to raise a family. You get all the benefits of a large city with mountains, lakes, Puget sound right at your doorstep. Anyway, feel free to contact me if you need any info….

• phoebz4 April 19, 2013 at 3:30 am #

Thanks!

10. Chris April 28, 2013 at 11:13 am #

I also live in the Seattle area and have a son with Special needs. Feel free to contact me too, if you have any questions about the area. We do have a little bit of a summer, and the mountains are breathtaking! 🙂

• phoebz4 April 30, 2013 at 4:26 pm #

thanks!

11. Permission Slips May 1, 2013 at 1:19 pm #

I can vouch for Seattle’s summers. Most of us live here all year, just waiting for those three stellar months (July, August, September). The fall is lovely, too, until it begins raining, and springtime here is definitely underrated. We get green and flowers earlier than most other places in the states. Happy packing, and best of luck in your transition back.