While in the car yesterday…

24 May

Taking Miriam home from her ballet class, I plugged in the iPod and pressed play.  What came on was Great Big Sea’s “Hit the Ground and Run” – a rollicking tune about a shotgun wedding (co-written by Russell Crowe – yes Russell Crowe, the actor.)

Miriam hears it and goes “Oh my gosh!  I love this song!”

Now it’s one of those parenting moments where part of you cringes, because your 12 yr old shouldn’t be singing along to songs about shotgun weddings –  and part of you goes “Awesome!” because it’s a great song.  During these times I just remind myself that at age five, I was singing along to songs like “Hotel California” and I grew up to be a pretty decent human being.

Anyhoo…

Song is playing, and Miriam goes “Wait.  The version you used to play in Michigan, didn’t it have a girl singing along in the chorus?”

Um…no…

“I remember a girl singing along with the harmony.”

Um…could that girl singer have been me?  Like what I’m doing right now?

“ohhhhhhhh…..yeah, I guess it was.”

And then we both agreed, I should be allowed to sing back up for Great Big Sea.

Makes perfect sense.

PS – I just suddenly remembered, speaking of songs that may not be quite appropriate for children to be singing…

When I went to a preschool meeting for Maura, as she was starting preschool, it was the teacher, myself, and four or five other parents.  The teacher was asking questions about our kids, and asked if they liked music.

Good parent #1 – “Oh, my child LOVES to sing their ABC’s – sings it all the time!”

Good parent #2 – “My child LOVES to sing “The Wheels on the Bus” – they know ALL 328 verses!”

Teacher turns to me.  “Does Maura like music?”

Me – “Oh yes!  Her favorite band is Great Big Sea, she loves their song “The Old Black Rum”…” me, realizing that maybe this isn’t an age-appropriate song as Good Parents eyes  land on me….” they’re a Canadian folk band…” …backpeddling…”…it’s a traditional Irish song…”  …big fat lie, it’s about getting completely pissed from drinking too much rum.

But it’s good craic, as they say here in Ireland.  You can see why the girl likes the song so much – and can sing along a little bit with it now. Okay, she sings along with the shotgun wedding song too.  But she did eventually learn the ABC song, as well as “Wheels on the Bus”.  So I’m not that terrible of a mother…right?

17 Responses to “While in the car yesterday…”

1. Christine Stimson May 24, 2013 at 6:51 am #

Theo could sing a couple of Queen songs before he could sing his ABC’s. I think it happens even more with a 3rd, 4th or later child.

• phoebz4 May 24, 2013 at 6:51 am #

We are truly awesome parents, molding their musical tastes appropriately.

2. Jody May 24, 2013 at 7:22 am #

My kids sing along with The Beastie Boys. It used to be cute, now, maybe not so much. lol Also, my oldest sings along with Mumford and Sons. Little Lion man no less. She knows which word is left out of the “safe for radio version” and inserts her own interpretation of what should be there whenever it comes on the radio. >.<

3. Deanna May 24, 2013 at 8:59 am #

I will show my age here (older that you Phoebe) when I was a little bitty girl my parents bought the album for the mucsical “Hair” my little sister and I could sing that whole sound track. take a listen, and you will know some of the topics we were singing about. I think my parents figured we didn’t know what it all meant… oh goodness

4. EIleen May 24, 2013 at 9:05 am #

Instead of nursery songs, I used to sing Warren Zevon songs to my girls. They were easier for me to remember.

5. fivebeansoup May 24, 2013 at 9:16 am #

Emily requested a song from a country singer that was singing various artist’s songs a couple years ago. The song she requested was, save a horse ride a cowboy. Emily had never ally thought about what songs were talking about until just recently. You should have seen the look of discomfort on the face of the singer with the idea of singing that song to an 11 year old girl.

• phoebz4 May 24, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

I think you win – lol!

6. Renee Anne May 24, 2013 at 10:15 am #

If it helps, one of my two and a half year old’s favorite songs is “Anarchy” by KMFDM….which, if you’re not familiar is a German industrial band, along the line of Nine Inch Nails.

• phoebz4 May 24, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

What 2 yr old doesn’t like to head-bang a bit 😉

7. Jessica May 24, 2013 at 3:03 pm #

The child of a friend has picked up its father’s liking to hard-core metal. And whatever works, right?
    I’m partially on the fence, but I think it’s preferable to what I grew up on: german pop (think eurovision) songs.

• phoebz4 May 24, 2013 at 4:37 pm #

Eurovision is the most amazing thing ever! LOL!

8. Cathy Salazar May 24, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

It does not matter what they sing as long as they sing and it is something that gets there brain to respond. My 5 yr old with special needs loves the sound track from the movie “Pitch Perfect”. She even tries to imitate the dance moves from the movie. This is a child that has spinal surgery every 4 months. So if it motivate a them, who cares if it isn’t a nursery rhyme.

9. emcclure2010 May 24, 2013 at 8:13 pm #

Heeheehee Wheels on the Bus is a boring song. Kids should listen to good music; who cares if it’s not ‘kid music’. I had a healthy dose of Grateful Dead as a kid and I turned out ok! Also my dad got really into playing traditional Irish music and really, all those songs are about drinking and one night stands (or drinking to forget…whatever). They have such good beat though! And they are perfect for little-kid dancing.

10. franhunne4u May 25, 2013 at 3:38 pm #

Just checked out Great Big Sea – and the Rum-song – it’s fun! So what if the lyrics are a little bit cheeky – the little ones do not know what is behind some lines and when they already know, why hide it from them then? It’s too late then anyway.
    Maybe, if the lyrics were a little bit rougher I would have second thoughts, but that here is a lot better than all that “harmless” “make out in your car to Radiohead”-pop … (K.Perry, The one who got away)
    Along the likes of Great Big Sea is Paddy goes to Holyhead. And I love those, I think I will have to buy Great Big Sea next. 😉

• phoebz4 May 25, 2013 at 6:20 pm #

Yes, GBS is a must buy. I really like their Courage, Patience and Grit album/dvd set. You get death and rum plus pirates and horses falling through ice!

11. dvdiva May 25, 2013 at 5:31 pm #

HaHa, loved your post and boy could I relate. If you are terrible, then I don’t know what I am. My daughter brought a Great Big Sea CD to school to play during art class when others were bringing in Hannah Montana. My daughters were 7 and 9 when they went to their first concert, yes it was Great Big Sea.

I started playing catchy sing-a-long pop tunes that I liked (Beatles, Queen) for the girls as a bedtime ritual when they were 2 and 3 and never had to suffer through the Wiggles and other such indignity on long car trips.

It is with pride that I recall walking into a shop that had Green Day’s Blvd of Broken Dreams playing overhead and having my 3 year old declare with delight “Mom, this is Broken Dreams.” The shop worker looked puzzled.

I chuckle as I remember my husband frantically calling me at work while driving my daughter somewhere and asking “What is the brown song? She really wants the brown song.” I had no idea what she wanted and sadly couldn’t help until it came up on my ipod’s random play again while in the car. “That’s it Mom, thats the brown song.” Not to be confuse with the Brown Note (hypothetical infrasonic frequency that would cause humans to lose control of their bowels due to resonance) the brown song was Prozzak’s “Be As” . She had renamed it from the chorus:
    Be as white as you want to
    Be as black as you want to
    Be as brown as you want to
    Don’t let anybody stop you

12. LindaGHill May 25, 2013 at 9:26 pm #

Haha! My eldest son took his maracas to school when he was 6 years old and sang “Keep On Rockin’ in the Free World” (Neil Young) in front of his class.