I’m pretty sure this is a sign of the Apocalypse

8 Jun

I’ve noted this strange phenomenon happening.  It started on Sunday.  Despite reports contradicting it, it continued on Monday.  There was more of it on Tuesday as well.  Now it’s Saturday, and the phenomenon is still happening.

It’s been sunny and nice in Dublin for 7 straight days.

I know I’m not the only one here certain the End is Near.  There is no other explanation for this sort of weather.  Sunny, blue skies, warmish temperatures.

It’s really bizarre.

Somewhere, in City Centre, there’s a tourist sitting outside at a sidewalk café saying to their touring mate “I don’t know why the Irish bitch about their weather so much, it’s been really nice here.  A little chilly for June, but nice.”

Meanwhile, actual native Irish folk are bursting into flames from too much exposure to that bright orb in the sky.  I actually heard one man on the radio wish for just a half an hour of rain, to break up the monotony that is this nice weather.  I’m pretty sure he was pelted with ice cream wrappers.

There’s been whispers that this might actually be that thing called Summer in other parts of the world.  If it keeps up, the country may have to shut down to enjoy it more.  Tourists will think “Wow, the Irish, they’re very lazy aren’t they?  Just spending their days, laying about in the sun.”  (I imagine these tourists as Americans, with some no-nonsense clipped accent and sensible walking shoes.) “Look at them all, laying in the grass, eating ice cream.  Don’t they have jobs?”

Yes, they have jobs.  They also have a great appreciation of nice weather. Because we’re all waiting to wake up and find the Normal Irish Summer of Gloom and Wet has descended upon us again.

But not today.

Today it’s sunny.

I think I’ll go eat ice cream.

7 Responses to “I’m pretty sure this is a sign of the Apocalypse”

1. Jessica June 8, 2013 at 5:41 am #

Go for ice cream! Lots of them. If you’d like to feel really festive you can bring out the bubbly! Enjoy!

2. Gayle Hernandez June 8, 2013 at 8:46 am #

I’m pretty sure it’s the same phenomenon here in Portland, Oregon and you will see it in Seattle too! When it’s nice we really appreciate it- tops down on cars, lots of white legs showing under our shorts and a general euphoria! We definitely appreciate nice weather when we get it! 🙂

3. Yvonne June 8, 2013 at 9:50 am #

I went to Ireland for half of my 10-day break from my Austria semester in Fall of 2009, and it was sunny the whole time too!! Lovely for traveling, and totally unexpected. I think it may have been compensation for the hellish time we had getting there 😉

4. MikeW June 8, 2013 at 10:24 am #

Love this post. Makes me want to come to Ireland just to share ice cream with somebody.

5. Dean B June 9, 2013 at 4:49 am #

Hi. It’s the same here in England! But I’ve just checked the 5 day weather forecast and sadly, this phenomenon is ending next week. Oh well, it was lovely though while it lasted.

• phoebz4 June 9, 2013 at 5:15 am #

At least we can say we had more of a summer this year 😉 BTW, still miffed at England – we went there last summer for a holiday – to the Sunny South of England…in time for monsoon weather. Our holiday resort flooded. As in, the indoor pool flooded even. LOL!

• Dean B June 9, 2013 at 5:38 am #

Sunny south of England?! Does that even exist? You have to go a long way South for that! (Brittany!) Haha. 2012 was a crap summer here. Hang on, we get a crap summer every year! Hoping this summer will be different.