Temporary Housing, Week Two

5 Aug

I think we’re all officially over being in temporary housing. Maybe it’s because none of us are getting enough sleep, thanks to being in a townhouse complex designed to bounce every noise off all the buildings and into our windows. Or maybe it’s because for no good reason, our smoke alarms went off intermittently for five hours yesterday.

We’re not quiet people, but my God in Heaven, this place is noisy! My neighbor slammed a door last night and it woke me up. The other neighbor has an extremely loud phone…which was woken me up twice at 7 am or so. And at midnight. Speaking of midnight, that’s when the sprinklers go off. And they’re pretty dang loud too.

The cake topper though, was the other night, when I woke up and realized someone had cried. I got up, checked on Maura, who was sound asleep. I went back to bed, was almost back to sleep when I heard a cry again. Got back up, checked on Maura…who hadn’t moved.

Yes, at 4 am, I woke up to someone else’s baby crying, in a townhouse across the way. Not even next door. No, several doors down.

And by waking up and getting up, I woke up Josh – who I found at the window after I checked on Maura the second time. “That’s not Maura, that’s not her cry.” he said…I’m not sure if to me or to himself. It was 4 am. We shouldn’t have been awake. Josh solved the problem by turning on some music on his phone to drown out the other person’s crying child.

Of course, I woke up the next morning to someone’s very unhappy child angrily screaming for a half hour.

sigh.

We won’t discuss how everything is literally falling apart in our hands in this place. Faucet handles, the rods to the blinds, door handles – heck, the girls bedroom door was hanging crooked on the hinge until Josh fixed it.

The good news is that our new place is going to be a dream after this nightmare. We’re hoping to be in there by this weekend. We’re also hoping that the moving company will decide to give us our air shipment, which cleared customs a week ago and has been sitting in a warehouse waiting for delivery. The air shipment holds most of my kitchen. We have a couple pots and pans and some silverware – I’m thinking we can paper plate it until the air shipment arrives. I’ve gotten that desperate.

In the meantime, we found a dining room table at the thrift shop that is just right for us, and then I went to Ikea for chairs. Lots and lots of chairs. And a couple bar stools for the breakfast bar. We’ve found mattresses as well, which was kind of a necessity. And Josh is passing down valuable skills to the boys, like how to strap stuff to cars and put Ikea furniture together.

Note – since writing, we have officially moved into the new house…which has no Internet. God help is all, but mostly the teenaged boy going through withdrawals.

20130804-163817.jpg

8 Responses to “Temporary Housing, Week Two”

1. Renee Anne August 5, 2013 at 11:09 am #

Ikea is fabulous. When we moved into our house in February, we spent a lot of time at Ikea. I think we came home with a sectional, a regular couch, five bookshelves, two cabineted bookshelves, a buffet, two more cabineted bookshelves, a wall shelf, a bed for Little Man, some toy storage for Little Man……I know I’m forgetting something.

The amount of Ikea furniture we bought……..

2. Anne Jones August 5, 2013 at 11:26 am #

Sounds awful, Phoebe.The noise, especially. I hope everything goes more smoothly from here.

3. saracvt August 5, 2013 at 1:05 pm #

Well, when you have reliable ‘Net, check out http://www.cakewrecks.com. That should lift your spirits a bit and help you forget the neighbors and the noise.
    Oh, and did you see who the 12th Doctor’s going to be? Physically, he seems to be an acceptable choice; I reserve the right to see about the acting and writing.
    Also, I got tickets to the GBS Bremerton and Bellingham shows in October; couldn’t get the Edmonds one. But I know you’ve got Bremerton seats, so I’m stoked to meet you and Maura!!

4. Jessica August 5, 2013 at 1:13 pm #

Did you get rid of all of your furniture from your last house, when you moved to Ireland?

• phoebz4 August 5, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

Pretty much. The king size bed and nine foot dining table wouldn’t have fit. The couch’s one support beam was broken by leaping children and propped up with a book lol! Needless to say, not worth moving. We have some furniture coming, like my desk, girls bedroom stuff, rocking chair, some shelves, etc. I’m kinda missing having a dresser right now and am eager for mine to arrive!

• Jessica August 6, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

Moving always “helps” one sort through things as to what is needed and not.
        I moved much too often while I was a student. When moving out of one place and into what would be my permanent place for years, I seriously considered tossing every furniture out of the window. Whatever landed and was somewhat structurally sound (read not reduced to wood splinters) could accompany me to next place. I never did do that, though ;). Hired movers instead.

5. dickdastardlyfra9156 August 6, 2013 at 8:36 pm #

Hi Phoebe, love the blog, happy you are in the new Residence [Des. Res. as they would say in D4].
    When you have children that are ill, people always say “I don’t know how you cope? or how you survive you must be wrecked?”
    What they don’t understand is that you have no option – ‘you got to cope’ – it’s not like you have a choice and you just get on with it. Yes it’s draining and exhausting but you get through.
    I love the way it makes you more tolerant of situations that tend to make most others flip. You got to be calm and take a ‘Que Sera, Sera’ stance, if only so as to keep the kids from getting hyper when that’s the last thing you need.
    I have found that when you are calm (even if it is only an outward persona) everyone else start to calm down and then they might become reasonable – at least they start to become tolerable and that’s when you can start to appeal to their ‘reasonable’ side (if they have one).
    When my youngest was born (He is in his early twenties now) he was 31/2 yrs old before he slept through for two nights running – talk about sleep deprivation!!! I remember reading some of my old files in work from that period ( I negotiated settlements of insurance claims) and it was evident the effect sleep deprivation had on decision making at the time. I didn’t have a blog to look back on (Not sure now if that was a good or bad thing, I’ll stick with a good thing for the moment) from the period, but I did make use of a camcorder so have plenty of videos to re-live events (even if I am behind the camera most of the time).
    Keep up the good work – love your reminiscences and experiences.

6. phxross August 7, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

When do the kids start school? Here in AZ today was the day for most students.