Lessons for the SNP (Special Needs Parent)

28 Aug

Okay, I’m going to start a new segment in these parts, Lessons for the Special Needs Parent.  AKA, stuff I screw up and other people can learn from.

Today’s lesson is on medical files.

So say you need to find a new doctor because of a move.  You have your own copy of your child’s medical records, of which you have faithfully gathered and carried across two countries and an ocean, never losing a single piece, even when that precious one tried to play in them…

When you meet said new doctor’s clinic, they will want to copy said files.  Which is all that is good and right.  They will swear to give them right back to you, which is all that is proper.

Whatever you do, do NOT leave the office without said documents, even if you’re distracted by a shrieking 10 year old who is throwing her shoes because she had to give back the clipboard.

Because if you leave without them….after spending several days trying to track them down….

You’re handed photocopies of what you gave them…and the MRI cd is missing.

This will send everyone scurrying.

And then the next day, you may learn that the chain of pediatric offices has decided to go to an electric file system, so after scanning your files, they were sent to be shredded.

<headthunk>

The good news is, they did locate the MRI cd.

But the moral of the story is, don’t leave the office without your records.  No matter how much the girl is shrieking and throwing stuff.  Or how tired and drained you are.  Or the fact that getting back the medical records wasn’t even near your brain matter at that point, because that section of the brain that contained this knowledge had already oozed out from all the shrieking.

Just take a set, push your oozing brain back in, and get the records.  Save yourself the days of phone tag and all.  No one needs to find out – before coffee – that the medical records she has guarded closely and put in her carry on for even safer keeping have possibly been shredded.

(There is a chance the shredder truck hadn’t been to the office since Maura’s records were copied, they are currently searching through things to figure it out.  Meanwhile, I have at least the MRI to pick up.)

And that concludes today’s lesson.  Next time, I’m just giving them copies of my copy.

This handy tip could probably also apply to IEP’s and the like…

ETA – They have found the originals – we like this woman lots who took the time to find them

9 Responses to “Lessons for the SNP (Special Needs Parent)”

1. tmadeley66 August 28, 2013 at 12:53 pm #

An Urban Decay lipstick Fyou moment if ever there was one!

2. Renee Anne August 28, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

Oh good lord! I think I’d be flipping my lid, too. I had my doctor’s office back in Wisconsin send all our files electronically…but that’s just across the country. Someday, I want access to my medical files.

Also, keep those IEPs, every single copy. If you need to make digital copies, so be it. But keep them. Schools have to adhere to them by law, including public universities…

3. saracvt August 28, 2013 at 1:35 pm #

Oh, God. NEVER give out the originals–I learned that early on. And lately we’ve gone digital–hubby scans all the new info onto a thumb drive (about as big as one, plugs into a computer, holds data, for the non-geeky) and the originals go into my files. Much lighter to carry around. You might try consolidating onto a CD or such.

4. Robin August 28, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

Yikes! I’m so so sorry you had to learn from a bad experience. Thank you for sharing!!

5. itsybitsymom August 28, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

Oh I feel your pain! So glad they got located. I also learned this lesson the hard way and now scan everything as soon as I get it. I can easily print a copy for anyone who needs it or just send the electronic copy. Can’t trust anyone with the originals! Don’t you wish there was an instruction manual!?!?

6. Kerith Stull August 28, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

I haven’t used the system, but I’ve seen it on a Facebook support group I’m a member of. It’s basically a jump drive that holds all of your medical records. You scan everything in and it has a system to organize them (somehow). There was also a way that it was part of a bracelet (like those rubber wrist bands for causes like LiveStrong), so it was on your child 24/7. Wish I could remember the name of it, but it looked intriguing. My 17yo daughter with moderate cerebral palsy has a pretty simple medical history (despite the CP), so it’s not necessarily something we would need. Anyway, that’s another way to keep it all together. Although, I’m not sure how a doc’s office would actually download it other than to print all of it.

• Joy M. Newcom August 28, 2013 at 7:55 pm #

What a nightmare! Bravo to you for insisting they get you back your originals. Woo hoo!

7. LindaGHill August 28, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

Duly noted. It sounds like a nightmare!

8. Joan T Warren August 28, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

Awesome new section here, so many parents of kids with special needs can benefit from your style of blow-it-off humor that’s also so obviously devoted and caring. Bravo to the office person who took the time to find them!