Poor SpongeBob

31 Aug

Yesterday, my husband took me to Michael’s, that mecca of silk flowers and hobbies, for some art supplies.  I managed to go by all the scrapbooking and stickers and little acorns and beading aisles full of sparkle glitter until we made our way to the art supplies.

So there we were, looking at acrylics, and down the aisle from us are three college studenty looking people – two guys and a girl.  The girl is all serious, looking at different paints.  The guys are meandering.

And then, the one guy exclaims “Wow, sea sponges!  Are these made from, like, real sea sponges?”

As I’m doing my best not to snicker at the guy, my husband says quietly “Yes, they killed SpongeBob.”

I had to leave the aisle to laugh.

Poor SpongeBob.

13 Responses to “Poor SpongeBob”

1. franhunne4u August 31, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

“Yesterday, my husband took me to Michael’s, ”
    What, have the Taliban won and you cannot go out on your own? Or are we back in the times before 1918?? *shudders*

• phoebz4 August 31, 2013 at 2:48 pm #

We do like to party like it’s 1899.

• misskittyrn75 August 31, 2013 at 4:56 pm #

Or some people like to spend time with their spouses and they don’t mind going to Michael’s….I prefer to party like it’s 1776…

• phoebz4 August 31, 2013 at 5:03 pm #

He is cute, the husband of mine. I like to take him out and show him off 😉

• franhunne4u September 1, 2013 at 4:21 am #

nobody denies spending time with the spouse may have its advantages – for both sides – but to be taken somewhere … sounds so … object-like.

• phoebz4 September 1, 2013 at 4:17 pm #

since you seem a bit stuck on my phrasing –

Yes, he took me to Michael’s. Because I asked him to take me. Because I had a very long week and at that point, was so emotionally tired that it was probably not safe for me to drive. I said “Gee, I’d like to go to Michael’s” and he said something like “Okay” (because we like to tell each other when we’re going out, as it’s the considerate thing to do) and I said “Would you take me?” and he said “Sure honey, whatever you want.”

And so, he took me to Michael’s. Simple as that. No need to delve into different meanings of the phrase to find some hidden cry for help from an oppressive spouse. We’re pretty much an equal partnership here, except when it comes to kid vomit. Then he is the one who cleans it up when at all possible. I can deal with leaking ceilings, open wounds, tornado warnings, seizures….but I draw the line at kid vomit.

• franhunne4u September 1, 2013 at 11:03 pm #

I did not take that as oppressive spouse – I just have a problem with that kind of wording in general.

• phoebz4 September 2, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

I don’t get why, sometimes I take him places, sometimes he takes me places. We take our kids places. No big.

• franhunne4u September 2, 2013 at 11:19 pm #

Maybe it is because I am german and this wording to take someone/something to a place is rather used for things here.

• phoebz4 September 3, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

English is quite convoluted. We can blame the British for that, right? 😉

• franhunne4u September 3, 2013 at 11:02 pm #

Usually it’s the Germans who get all the blame, we are kind of used to it. But for now let us blame the British. Even though there was a strong german influence on the language by germans … *sigh, we will never be blameless*

2. saracvt August 31, 2013 at 5:51 pm #

If only.

In our house, we have something we have labeled “The Spongebob Effect” because it seems to happen so often with the little yellow guy. It’s when your offspring are so mesmerized by the TV that they don’t respond to you, don’t hear you, don’t even turn their eyes away when the rest of their bodies are forcibly dragged away. It doesn’t cease until the TV is turned off. I wonder just what kind of mind control he’s using, and can he teach it to me–they’re never that docile for ME…

3. CJ September 7, 2013 at 4:48 pm #