Oh good, she has library again

1 Oct

The other day, Maura came home from school uber-excited.  She flung her coat off, dropped her bag, ripping it open while going “Mom! MOm! MOM! MOOM!!!”

Then a proud and excited “LOOK!”

And she showed me two library books from school.

Now I know what my reaction should be – “Aw honey, that’s great!  Let’s read those together!  Reading is great!”

That wasn’t my reaction.

My reaction was more “Oh my good holy lord! Who let you into the library?  Why would they send them home with you?  WHY GOD!  WHY???”

See, Maura loves books.  Books do not love Maura.  Maura tends to mangle books.  She will scribble in them, toss them down where ever, walk over them, sit on them, spill stuff on them, rip pages out of them, scribble in them some more, then tuck them in bed with her to sleep on them, drool on them, etc.

And they sent her home with TWO of them.

Have I mentioned Maura can’t read?  She also doesn’t want me reading to her.  Because she’d rather write in the book.

Now I have two of these suckers to mind.  So of course, the first opportunity possible, I hid them in a safe place until I could return them to school.

This led to Problem #2 – we’re in a new house, there are new safe places.

Yeah, I lost them.

But then they were rediscovered, much to my horror, in Maura’s room.  And she was all “OH!  MOM MOM MOM!  BOOK!” happy.

So I let her sleep with them.

No, I probably shouldn’t have.  Yes, it’s not good book-keeping.  But it was either let her sleep with them, or have her screaming at me at bedtime.  Which would you choose?

Please send cash to the “Replace Mangled Library Books Fund” to….

A book, left outside, with a Nerf gun - obviously Maura was reading up on fairy hunting

A book, left outside, with a Nerf gun – obviously Maura was reading up on fairy hunting

10 Responses to “Oh good, she has library again”

1. Cheryl @ Stop The Stigma October 1, 2013 at 10:39 am #

I’d choose to let her sleep with them too. Bless you:)

2. Nicole October 1, 2013 at 10:54 am #

Yup, just paid for two books myself…again…

3. franhunne4u October 1, 2013 at 11:34 am #

Maybe you should have mentioned this issue on the form they made you fill out about Maura … then it might not have been your fault 😉

• phoebz4 October 1, 2013 at 11:42 am #

Back when she was in school in Michigan, I actually asked them NOT to send library books home, and do not trust her with paper books. The school in Ireland had a library that they’d visit, but they were smart and didn’t allow them to check them out or bring them home.

Needless to say, I am off my game on this. And no where on any form did it ask “Does she have a penchant for destroying library books?” Really, that needs to be a question lol!

4. Grainne October 1, 2013 at 12:37 pm #

Oh no! My Colt’s school stopped with the library books in grade two. He does the same to them…absently chews the corners as he watches TV, loses them the moment he sets them down…*sigh* They sent a list home with him a few times a year and we’d dig some of them out (some were completely destroyed and we found no traces of them). I’m glad they stopped though…I was feeling guilty and spending more on new books to donate to the school than if I had just bought them for him outright.

Ahh the little things eh? 🙂

5. Jessica October 1, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

I can “hear” you thinking oh god, oh god, oh god, how do I hide these until i can return them?”
    😉

6. Mary C. October 1, 2013 at 6:47 pm #

Lol!

7. Sheri October 2, 2013 at 10:46 am #

Wonderful and such a true story. I’ve worked with special needs school kids for the past five years. One thought, and I’m not sure it would work with your school district, is to have Maura draw and write in a few “Blank Books” that you can buy at the local books stores or even in Wal-Mart (sorry Laura) or Target etc. You could have her find a picture she could cut out and help her paste it on the front. Let he draw, write do anything she wants with them and then take them to the Libary and ask that they only check these particular books out to her… If she makes a few, she could have some variety to choose from.. Just a thought. Good luck!

• phoebz4 October 2, 2013 at 10:52 am #

That is a really great idea! The one tiny problem is Maura loves books w/o pictures – LOL! She has this old Ray Bradbury book that I let her have, that she wanders about with to read. I think she just likes feeling pages, she’s weird like that.

But seriously, your suggestion is really good – I will definitely mention it to her teacher, maybe see if she’d go for it at home too!

• Sheri October 2, 2013 at 11:07 am #

Thank you. Even better if she doesn’t need pictures…just some kind of cover so she knows it’s hers… and she can write or feel the pages as much as she wants… 🙂 Good luck…. 🙂