Happy Halloween

31 Oct

Who misses the good old days of “fun” masks that were creepier than some of the creepy masks of today?

Here’s me, as a plastic-faced princess and my brother as Darth Vader.    (I’m pretty certain that I probably insisted on this horrible costume, because my mom made some pretty awesome costumes back in the day…)

Faces are hidden to protect the innocent!

Faces are hidden to protect the innocent!

Here’s me, in a much better costume, sewn by the great seamstresses in my life (mom and grandma), and the photo that inspired my Facebook feed to go “Holy cow, Maura looks JUST like you did!”

Me, back in the day

Me, back in the day

Also note that each costume came with a coordinating jacket underneath.  I grew up in Chicago.  The Warm Costume was necessary.  Any Halloween it didn’t snow on us was a good one!

6 Responses to “Happy Halloween”

1. Marcella Cook October 31, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

Holy Cow, Maura does look like you! Happy Halloween and Dia de los Muertos!

2. Jodi Henline November 1, 2013 at 11:00 am #

Awesome costumes! Brings back memories…

3. Ann Marie Ruschill Newland November 4, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

As you know, it is extremely rare that I write/post anything but I remember BOTH costumes quite well unfortunately I do not remember any of my own childhood Halloween costumes though. Perhaps your mom has a few pictures with me in them since I doubt there were too many Halloweens that I did not trick-or-treat without you and your brothers, at least until we hit 7th/8th grade and “bickered” every other day. The good old days!!

• phoebz4 November 4, 2013 at 1:02 pm #

Ann, you were Casper the Friendly Ghost for like – EVER (so, what, three years?). I have asked my mom about any pictures of you, so we’ll see.

• Ann Marie Ruschill Newland November 4, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

I kind of remember the Casper costume. I probably wore it for three years b/c it fit for that long and why buy a new one when it fit? Or maybe I was just obsessed with Casper? You remember more of my childhood than I do. 🙂

• phoebz4 November 4, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

you were kinda obessed with Casper. it was your favorite! I was all “Get a new costume!” and you were all “Why? I love being Casper!” As an adult, I now admire that ability to stay true to yourself then 😉