An…apology?

5 Nov

So I wrote Sephora’s customer service about the lipstick called “Celebutard” and how I was offended.

I got this stock answer (as I’ve seen it several places on their Facebook page)

Dear Phoebe,

Thank you for contacting Sephora.com with your feedback regarding our recent Beauty Insider Merry Crazy Sample Blitz marketing.

We sincerely apologize if you found the name of the Kat Von D lipstick offensive or inappropriate.  We appreciate the time you have taken to express your concern. We are sorry to hear that our advertising has been a cause of discomfort for you.  Our objective is to create a comfortable, red carpet environment within our stores and online. We would never intend to offend.

We appreciate the time you have taken to contact us with your comment. As we strive to offer our clients the best service, feedback is important to us and always welcome.

We will forward your feedback to the proper contact within our marketing department and the Kat Von D  brand. They will do their best to incorporate your feedback into our future endeavors.

Thank you again for contacting us.

Regards,

Jarrod
Sephora Client Services

So yeah.  Thanks for the stock letter.

But what about action?

I didn’t even get a freaking coupon.

Don’t think we’re going to let this go Sephora.  That’s a promise.

UPDATE:

This afternoon, I sent a Tweet out tagging Sephora about how their lack of response was causing me to cut up my Sephora card, with coordinating picture.

Soon after, I received a response –

sephoratweet

– they will be removing the product from online and in stores.

So yeah.  That’s more like it.

Will I be shopping there anytime soon?  Probably not.  They need to win me back. But maybe now I will retrieve that Sephora make up  brush out of the trash at least.

Kat Von D has yet to say anything in response.

17 Responses to “An…apology?”

1. Wendy Carroll November 5, 2013 at 2:58 am #

Yeah, I got the same letter. I did some googling and it seems that lipstick was DISCONTINUED. If so, why is it still on their website? That makes their response even more reprehensible.

• phoebz4 November 5, 2013 at 10:44 am #

It is still available for purchase. I was able to load one in my cart yesterday when I checked. Doesn’t matter to me right now because it is still out there, and holy crap, who let this get out into the market place in the first place? It should have NEVER made it past a product meeting.

2. Sara November 5, 2013 at 4:44 am #

‘We’re sorry you were offended’ sounds like a non-apology. Personally I think you should send that letter to Jezebel or Gawker or some other media site with a million readers and see if you can get them to embarrass the hell out of Sephora. Bad publicity will teach them a lesson.

• phoebz4 November 5, 2013 at 10:42 am #

ooo…good idea!

3. itsybitsymom November 5, 2013 at 6:45 am #

I got the same nonsense and was also offended. JCPenney (they sell Sephora in their stores) however had a much nicer note:

Hello Anne,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding a shade of lipstick by Sephora. At JCPenney we operate under The Golden Rule by treating people the way that we want to be treated and we apologize for any concern we may have caused. We want to provide a wide variety of quality merchandise at a great value for all of our customers.

We are working hard to make improvements to our stores, jcp.com, and our overall customer service experience. Please be assured we are committed to restoring the shopping experience our customers expect from us.

Sincerely,

Krystal
    JCPenney Customer Care

4. Christine November 5, 2013 at 7:46 am #

I hate “apologies” that include “I’m sorry IF I offended you”. Obviously, I am offended. I wrote you a damn letter about how I was offended. Then they go on to say that they didn’t intend to offend. Not that they are planning to do anything about it or really care all that much. I have never shopped their products but now I won’t.

5. Mary Bortmas November 5, 2013 at 8:01 am #

“We are sorry to hear that our advertising has been a cause of discomfort for you. Our objective is to create a comfortable, red carpet environment within our stores and online. We would never intend to offend.” (You missed. Twice now that I’ve gotten this reply.)
    “They will do their best to incorporate your feedback into our future endeavors. ” (But this one’s already named. Thanks, though.)
    ❤ you Phoebe. Go get 'em girl

6. Renee Anne November 5, 2013 at 9:44 am #

“I’m sorry you were offended” is not an apology. It’s turning the tables back on you, basically saying that you’re the one with the problem, not them. What a load of crap. I don’t shop at Sephora anyway but I have even more reason not to now.

7. Nancy Spivey November 5, 2013 at 10:26 am #

“I’m sorry if I offended you” is the same as “You are being too sensitive”.

8. Rob November 5, 2013 at 11:06 am #

Hmmm, interesting they did not mention the product name in the response.

9. David Allen November 5, 2013 at 12:15 pm #

Whenever someone or some entity replies with, “I didn’t intend to offend,” I think:

Geez, it would have been better if you did intend offense. At least I can write that off as some jerk in marketing trying to appeal to their jerk target customers. But if you offended unintentionally, it implies that you (or your company) are just an offensive jerk by nature.

10. Incredulous November 6, 2013 at 1:59 am #

Waaaaaaait a sec. You’re offended, so sephora owes you a coupon? How does that work? And honestly, there are so many bigger things to be in an uproar over. Kat Von D isn’t exactly a member of the MENSA brain trust and has said and done any number of stupid things. Not limited to, but including rampant drug use, during the creation of this makeup line. So, somehow that’s acceptable, but the name of the lipstick isn’t? Deplorable actions, which are well documented are totally a-ok, but don’t you dare name your lipstick something dumb. Then I’ll boycott Sephora and to woo me back, I’d better get a coupon!

• phoebz4 November 6, 2013 at 2:01 am #

The coupon bit was a joke. Tongue and cheek and all that. Look for the sarcasm, I use it lots.

11. abrutelife November 7, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

I understand that the name of the lipstick is unnecessary and offensive, but I don’t understand your argument with them saying “we’re sorry if the name of the lipstick has caused offense”, they didn’t say
    “we’re sorry if the name has offended YOU”. They heard your request and honored it, that seems like a win for you and any others who were offended by the classless name chosen.

• phoebz4 November 7, 2013 at 12:54 pm #

Well, it was a total stock letter response, as others got the exact same one. I thought it was just okay, but others felt it was a bit half-arsed itself.

Their subsequent apology rang more true and I was more content with it.

• abrutelife November 7, 2013 at 12:59 pm #

Yes, the first response was half-arsed but I do feel like they handled it correctly the second time around. (unfortunately it took two times) Congrats though!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks