Wednesday – 11:45 am PST

20 Nov

My phone just rang and I just did the “Oh!  Someone’s calling me?” surprise look at my phone.

No, no one is calling me.  It’s just the alarm I set.  It says “Maura” and it’s set to go off every Wednesday at 11:45 am PST.

Why?

Because they let the elementary school kids out at 12:05 pm every Wednesday.  And I live in constant fear that I’ll forget it’s Wednesday and find out what the policy is for not being home when the bus pulls up to your house.

(Luckily, the driver doesn’t even open the bus door until I walk up to it, so it’s not like she’ll be left on my doorstep alone.)

All my kids get out early every Wednesday.  Which may seem like a bigger deal until you realize that for my high schoolers, they start at 7:30 am.  So by noon, well, I’m tired.  And they don’t drink coffee.  Most days they get out at 2:30, but Wednesdays are special.

I’m not loving this schedule.  If I was All Powerful and could bend wills, I’d push the start time to at least 7:45 and give them full days every week.  Hey, those fifteen minutes in the morning would make a huge difference.  Also, that Wednesday afternoon, I could use that.  Instead, my whole week gets thrown off a bit.  Think about it – mid-week, you suddenly have to stop and recollect yourself, and collect children?  Not forget the children?  Have to think about the children?

The kids don’t mind the half-day Wednesdays.  But I think if they got a later start and a full day Wednesday, they’d probably go for that.  Because 3 out of 4 of my kids are NOT morning people.  Just like their mother.

Meanwhile, I shall keep that phone alarm on, to surprise me every Wednesday at 11:45 am.  Having a track record of accidentally abandoning children at school on half-days,  I’m just not willing to risk that I’ll ever get into this routine.

Besides, I’m not good with week days.  Like Monday?  Monday I thought it was Thursday.

Yeah, that was disappointing.

Then again, once I realized that Thanksgiving was not this week, I was less disappointed.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, Maura’s bus will be here in a few minutes…

9 Responses to “Wednesday – 11:45 am PST”

1. Mara November 20, 2013 at 3:11 pm #

Ugh, my high school started at 7:15 and we got out at 2:15. Hated it, I was always exhausted. Now, my kids start at 9:15 and get out at 3:25. I love it, and I’m kinda jealous too;)

• phoebz4 November 20, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

Yeah, this is SO different than our Irish times – primary grades were 9-2:30, Secondary was 8:20 to 3:15. And they called the secondary school start time “early” – which it was for Ireland. Which is why they’re my people, lol!

• Kerry November 20, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

Ronan’s school is 9-4, so he gets home at 4:45pm. I hate it.

2. Joy M. Newcom November 20, 2013 at 3:15 pm #

I totally do that for the same reason. Only now, it’s not for school things, but other pick up times tied to things for my adult son with special needs. Those moments when your life starts to feel like it did “once-upon-a-time” can linger in beautiful ways, but the clock must strike midnight.

3. Rachael T November 20, 2013 at 3:18 pm #

They’re thinking of flipping the schedules here, so high school starts at 8:30am and elementary kids at 7:30. While I’m SO not loving the idea of my kids having to start school at 7:30am, I know I’ll be loving the later start when they’re in high school.

My friend in Colorado had half-day Wednesdays at the high school. She called it Teen Pregnancy Wednesday. Because most of the teenagers were going home to empty homes. She didn’t think it was a good idea!

4. Cheri November 20, 2013 at 3:18 pm #

loved the first line…reminded me of what I posted today…thankfully your story didn’t end in a thrown out back like mine LOL!

5. Christine November 20, 2013 at 10:30 pm #

I had an alarm on my phone to remember to pick my son up from preschool and I am embarrassed to say how many times I jumped and swore when it went off because I had forgotten.

6. Cindy November 24, 2013 at 5:21 pm #

We’re in California, & we get out @ 1:30 on wed (start @ 8:30). I don’t mind the early day, but could we make it Friday instead? We could possibly have a decent 3-day weekend!

• phoebz4 November 25, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

I know! In Ireland, there were a couple schools that let out early on Friday. Makes total sense to me. I bet the teachers would even love it.