Seattle, Rain, and Music Monday

25 Nov

So I typed up this whole blog post, only for it to disappear into nothingness.

I shall summarize –

People in Seattle need to stop telling me how rainy it is here.

Which part of “I moved here from fecking Ireland!” do they not understand?

Stop telling me how I need all the Rain Gear. I don’t need all the Rain Gear.

Seriously, it rained a LOT in Ireland and I lived without $4,000 worth of the Rain Gear from REI.

A typical view of Ireland

A typical view of Ireland

See?  Rain.  I have lots of these pictures.  So stop telling me how much it rains Seattle.  I get rain. So far, the rain here hasn’t blown upwards and slapped me in the face.  So right now, I kind of mock your rain Seattle.  (I really hope Seattle doesn’t retaliate and produce face-slapping rain for the next five months.)

And now, a rain-themed song – Adele’s “Set Fire to the Rain” – Live from The Royal Albert Hall.

14 Responses to “Seattle, Rain, and Music Monday”

1. Brooke November 25, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Um….people who are from Seattle, shouldn’t be telling you that you need rain gear. I lived there for 8 years, and never owned rain gear other than a coat. I couldn’t have told you where my umbrella was, ever.

• phoebz4 November 25, 2013 at 1:53 pm #

I’m actually all geeked that I can use my umbrella now w/o fear of it being inverted by the wind!

2. Jessica November 25, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

It, a rain post, seems to have become a text post. At the very start of the blog, besides contact, the child’s story etc. found the post funny :). With not having umbrellas turn into cadavers every other week, you could get one of those fancy umbrellas.
    I lived in a city while attending university that was on one of the biggest plains of the country. It was windy. Very windy. There was wind in all possible and impossible ways. And wherever one was going, the wind was always in one’s face. And during a time when I lived in Japan, the monsoon period really struck me down. Had no idea that it could rain with the intensity that it did, leaving it to feel like the air was more water than actual air.

Now I live in a country that has 20 hrs of daylight in the summer (in the north it’s 24 hrs). At this time of the year it barely has four hrs of daylight (and none.in the north). This year there has barely been any sun. Seasonal depression? Oh you bet. I want snow. I really want snow. Which is rare coming from me.

3. franhunne4u November 25, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

Rain in Ireland? Not that bad – usually an hour or so – and than the oceanic climate has the clouds blown away and the sun comes out – and an hour later it is raining again .. and so on. Been there for my 40th birthday …That was a dry day!

4. Sarah November 25, 2013 at 2:33 pm #

I lived in Seattle for five years and never once used an umbrella or purchased any rain gear, nor did any Seattleites ever advise me to purchase the same. Mist or dripping is not the same as rain – I’m from Minnesota and it really rains here.

• phoebz4 November 25, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

Fascinating. I’ve been told several times that I’ll need rain gear, to send rain gear to school, how they’ll change kids into rain boots at school, and then “Oh! It is SO rainy here!”

Maybe I look too dry? LOL!

5. Dean B November 25, 2013 at 3:24 pm #

Does it rain more in Seattle than in England? If the answer is no, then I’m moving! 🙂

• phoebz4 November 25, 2013 at 3:38 pm #

I doubt it. It doesn’t rain any more in Seattle than it did in Dublin, plus in Seattle, you get an actual summer. That lasts for more than 2 days!

• phoebz4 November 25, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

Oh, and the one time we went to England…during the summer…monsoon rains, flooding, and then more rain. We were like “We left Ireland for this?” LOL! We did see Stonehenge…in the rain…and Bournemouth…in the rain…and Salisbury…in the rain…and LEGOLAND – which was sunny for most of the day but it started raining at the end our time there…and then we drove through Wales, where it was sheets of rain.

• Dean B November 25, 2013 at 4:11 pm #

That’s it! I’m definitely moving! … A woman can dream right?

• phoebz4 November 25, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

yep

6. Carissa J. November 25, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

When you have been there awhile, please write a post about how the school system is for Maura. We are planning on moving back in a couple of years, but I am very happy with my daughters school district now…so I am also a little hesitant to leave. My husband is from Bellevue and we both lived there for a while, but i didn’t have any kids in school then….oh and the rain…good years and bad, just like anywhere….but the summers are wonderful!

• phoebz4 November 25, 2013 at 6:12 pm #

I can tell you that so far, I’ve been really happy with her school. She’s in a Functional Life Skills classroom which is just her speed, but with some time in a traditional classroom with peers. I haven’t had to ask for anything, they’re always suggesting new things for her. When my husband asked that they work on sight words that would help independence, they were completely open to it and two weeks later, she was trying to read “Men” and “Women” on the restroom doors!

7. emcclure2010 December 1, 2013 at 2:33 am #

LOL! I live in Portland (where we like to fight with you Seattle-ers about who has more rain..WTF. Who cares) and I have only 1 jacket with a hood. I do have some rain boots but I almost never wear them. And I just acquired an umbrella from my auto repair shop (it was free). It’s funny bc people here are like “I refuse to use an umbrella!” which is totally silly but clearly I don’t either!