Music Monday – My Irish Christmas Songlist

2 Dec

So it’s now officially December, which means I can belt out my favorite Christmas tunes without guilt or shame.  I have my favorites – Silver Bells, O Holy Night, and I will admit, Mariah Cary’s “All I Want for Christmas is You”…

But I picked up a few more in Ireland.  They don’t play “Jingle Bell Rock” a lot there, which I was most grateful for.  No, at the first school Christmas concert I went to, the older kids did Slade’s “Merry Christmas Everybody” – and everyone sang along.  Because people like to sing along with songs in Ireland.  I liked that about living there.

And then last year, it was Mim’s class’s turn to sing this song – apparently it was the traditional 6th class Christmas song.  That year, I knew the lyrics.

The video from “Tops of the Pops 1973” is hilarious.  If you can get past the singer’s most fabulous mutton chops, check out the guitar players outfits. They are…yeah.

And then there’s this song, which if you just listen to, sounds all that is cute and Christmas…but the actual band is…what was going on in the UK in the 70’s anyway?

Wizzard – I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday

I think this next one could be the ultimate cheesy Christmas song, except that it totally grew on me (and I’m realizing that so far, these were the songs at the school Christmas concert…so much better than that “Up on the Rooftop” song, let me tell you…)

Shakin’ Stevens – Merry Christmas Everyone

They also love Wham’s “Last Christmas” over there in Dublin, or at least give it a lot of air time.  But I actually loathe the song so I’m going to skip it.

However, I will bring you something better – Enya singing “Silent Night” in Irish (the video was made in Christchurch Cathedral in Dublin)

They also, like us, played “Do They Know it’s Christmas” – so many mullets in this video – I personally like to belt out Bono’s line –

It wouldn’t be an Irish list without a little U2 either –

But the one that will always take me back to Dublin is The Pogue’s Fairytale of New York – a song about finding love, which turns to hate, and ending up in jail.  Actually, the song starts in jail, then love, then hate, the loss of dreams, and a very dedicated NYPD choir.  Okay, it’s not very Christmassy at all – and yet, there it is.  It’s played on the radio, in shops, but not at school Christmas concerts.   And I totally love it.  But you may not want to play it around small children.

And that is my Irish Christmas Songlist.  A nice break from the 14 different versions of “Jingle Bell Rock” and “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree”, don’t you think?

9 Responses to “Music Monday – My Irish Christmas Songlist”

1. wonkafonka December 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

I love Fairytale of New York. I have an ex-friend who introduced me to it. It was the only positive contribution he made to my life. 🙂

2. teresamcnally December 2, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

Just practising for the concert this week,
    miss you and yours,
    love to Maura.
    Teresa

• phoebz4 December 2, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

I’m not sure Maura’s new school will do anything – they don’t “do” holidays at her school. Oh well, we’ll have our own Christmas dance party here 🙂

3. saracvt December 2, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

One I have a particular fondness for is “Merry Christmas Everyone” performed by Sean McCann. Also “Do You Hear What I Hear?” performed by just about anybody. I’ve loved that one since I was a kid. And I always sing along (even though I can’t sing. Really. I was kicked out of sixth-grade choir for setting the other kids off-key and my parents used to make me sing outside. My kids tell me regularly I sound like a moose vomiting. But in my own ears I sound perfectly on key, and I love to sing, so I sing!)

4. Tracesofthesoul December 2, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

Ah thank you for this…you are so young but you still play my oldies:)

5. Siobhan December 2, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

You summed up the Irish Christmas songs playlist perfectly! Fairy tail in New York, and Oh Holy Night my favs. Miss ye guys heaps. Love your posts, Siobhan x

• phoebz4 December 2, 2013 at 6:36 pm #

And I can play a lot of them in the car as the dj for the school discos gave us the Christmas CD! 🙂

6. phoebz4 December 11, 2014 at 12:53 pm #

Reblogged this on Herding Cats and commented:

Reviving this post from last year, because so much good music! Happy Christmas!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Babble Babble | Herding Cats - December 6, 2013

[…] I like music.  A lot.  I post songs I like a lot.  Usually on Mondays. This past Monday’s list was all the songs they’d play a lot in Dublin at Christmastime.  I was showing it to my […]