The Puppetmaster

12 Dec

Maura likes to tell us what to do, and always expects us to do what she wants.  I know we’re pretty much the reason why, we do have a tendency to spoil the girl, not to mention how we go around trying to get her to use words, so that if she actually vocally asks for something, we’re usually quick to give her just that.

Honestly, it’s a surprise she hasn’t asked for a pony and her own pink convertible yet.

The problem comes in when we’re not quick to respond.  She’ll instruct us, and if we don’t do it right then, she will start moving our bodies in ways to make us do that.

Example A – Maura wants to watch a show.  “Penguins!” she’ll state, thrusting the remote in my hand.

Example B – Maura wants to go a different direction in the mall. I say “No, we need to go this way.”  She takes my hand and tries to pull me in the direction she wants to go.

Example C – Josh comes home from work.  Maura gives him a big hug, then goes “Mom!  Daddy!” – as in “Look Mom, Dad’s home, go hug him now!” –  and then shoves me at Josh, because we should be hugging too.

It is nice that she wants to keep the romance alive in the marriage.  But if, say, I’m in the middle of dealing with dinner, and have a hand full of raw chicken or am holding a big chopping knife, it’s not always the best time for me to turn and hug anyone.

Maura doesn’t get this though.  And so she’ll try to push me in the right direction, or move my arms.

Which is why I’ve started responding with “Not now Puppetmaster!”

I should probably shorten Puppetmaster to something cute and British, like Poppet, since “Puppetmaster” sounds a bit more sinister than “Poppet”.  But really, she is trying to pull every string, and make us do her will – in short, she really is a Puppetmaster.  I just have to decide how much I’ll actually play along with this.

Maura and some of her more willing minions

Maura and some of her more willing minions

6 Responses to “The Puppetmaster”

1. franhunne4u December 12, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

So what if you decide to “spoil” your child – it is not us, who have to deal with her but you – it is your child, you have all the work and all the side effects and hence you do as you think right. You are doing a great job with Maura.

• phoebz4 December 12, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

I agree 😉 I just have to make sure she knows I’m in charge and that she doesn’t get into full spoiled brat mode.

(I do also spoil her siblings, b/c they have to live with her too!)

• franhunne4u December 12, 2013 at 3:18 pm #

I got spoilt for the better part of my youth – and here I am and most people call me generous – you see – spoiling must not end in a selfish, unconsidering child!

2. Jackie groden December 12, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

I sooo get this…i swear we were given the same kids! Thanks for always putting into words exactly the way I feel!

3. saracvt December 12, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

Hey, you don’t know how good you’ve got it–lately if I WANT to kiss or hug Greg, I have to do out of the sight of Maddy. For some reason, she finds even a simple peck on the cheek unbearably disgusting, and greets the most platonic displays of affection with a loud “Ewwww!!” (Just wait ’til she has kids…*evil chuckle*…wait–did I really just say that?)

4. Laurie January 26, 2015 at 4:46 pm #

I love reading your blog! Your daughter and your life is so familiar!!! I read this one and told my husband that I think you are spying on us!!