Tiny Dog, now 60% more ridiculous

13 Dec

Okay, this may get me thrust into the “Bad Pet Parent” category.  I shall brace myself for that.

So we have our two ridiculous dogs, one being the tiny 4 1/2 pound Yorkie, who’s name is Sky Stormageddon Dark Lord of All.

Sky is a ferocious little beastie, who is certain she can take on the world and is full of young dog personality and curiosity.

Sky also has had long, fine, Yorkie hair.

Yorkies have hair that’s more like human hair than fur.  Which is why they can have those long lovely locks. But because of this hair, they need a lot of grooming maintenance, which is why you see most household Yorkies with the shorter ‘do. It’s just easier.

But Sky – at first, she was happy with being brushed, and her hair didn’t tangle, so we let it grow.

She was quite pretty.

Sky, resting on the foot stool, lording over all

Sky, resting on the foot stool, lording over all

Somehow though, in the moving craziness and new environment, and switching from kid shampoo to actual dog shampoo, Sky’s hair went from manageable to train wreck.  And she decided she hated being brushed or combed.

I tried – I swear I tried – but she keeps running under bushes and collecting tiny twigs and leaf bits in her fur.  Which then tangle around more fur.  Which causes hair matting.  And the special organic all natural dog shampoo with conditioner didn’t keep her hair tangle free like the cheap kids 2-in-1 shampoo that we had been using did.  I switched shampoos back to the kiddie shampoo, chased her around the house with a comb, sneaking up on her when she was napping to gently comb out knots. Really, I spent way too much time trying to groom this dog.

Last night, as I was petting her, I realized that she had gotten huge tangles under her ears.

It was the last straw.

I asked Josh if he’d hold the dog while I trimmed her.  This lead to us locked in the bathroom, fur flying, and us laughing while the Dark Lord sat there in Josh’s arms and gave this resigned sigh of  “You stupid humans, I don’t know why I put up with you.”  But she was much better about getting her hair cut than she’s ever been about being brushed.

I am not a dog groomer.  I can cut boys hair, trim girls hair, and can trim a small dog.  But drastic cuts involving matted hair?  I decided to throw caution to the wind and just hack her hair off.  I can neaten it up in a week or so, but my goal was to make it more manageable at this time.

Instead, I managed to make the already ridiculous looking dog even more ridiculous looking.

Sky went from this –

Tiny  with Zoey behind her

Tiny with Zoey behind her

…to this –

half a pound of hair later...

half a pound of hair later…

Now, being the parents we are, we decided to leave the sink full of dog hair and the scissors out and just let Miriam discover it…there was this question of “Why is Sky in the sink?” and laughter as Miriam went looking for her dog.  I was certain she’d never speak to me again.  Instead, there was much squealing and “OMG SHE’S SOOOOO CUTE!!!!”

And the next moment it was “Wow, are her ears really that small?”

The teen boys just laughed.  And laughed.  And then laughed some more.

Zoey was not certain it was the same dog, and spent the rest of the evening sniffing Sky.

Sky is pretty unphased by it.  And while the weather’s not that bad out, I am glad I bought her a sweater.  Because we took a LOT of hair off this tiny dog.  And my teenaged boys are still just laughing when they see her.

I really didn’t think Sky could get more ridiculous looking.

I was wrong.

Meanwhile, I will not give up my day job and become a dog groomer.

Miriam, her tiny dog, and a makings of a second tiny dog

Miriam, her tiny dog, and a makings of a second tiny dog

*Note – no dogs were harmed in this process.  Nor traumatized, or even slightly scarred for life even. The humans survived as well.

15 Responses to “Tiny Dog, now 60% more ridiculous”

1. franhunne4u December 13, 2013 at 2:33 pm #

Awww … looks even less the Dark Lord now! I do not think you are a bad pet owner because you try to make life more hassle-free for your pet (and yourself). You DO something for the dog to make life easier for it. Some people cannot be bothered – THOSE are bad pet owners.

• phoebz4 December 13, 2013 at 4:52 pm #

This dog is a bit pampered, lol, but yes, it was more about making her happier than having the prettiest dog. That said – she’s still adorable, even with short hair!

2. Bekah December 13, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

She so stinkin’ cute now!!! And you know Stormageddon has the “adorable overlord” thing going, so it totally works for the dog, too.

• phoebz4 December 13, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

One of the boys said “Oh great, now she looks like a teddy bear.” And it’s TRUE! LOL!

3. Renee Anne December 13, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

Back when I was in high school, my mom (finally) got a dog. A little runt of a Yorkie that we named Mackenzie. We shaved that dog because he used to snap and snarl at the brush. He was a naughty dog about being brushed. It was just easier.

4. Betsy December 13, 2013 at 4:12 pm #

She’s still cute and probably feels much better without all the matted hair. 🙂

• phoebz4 December 13, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

I think she does – she’s been racing around the house all morning. I may have created a monster. A tiny monster, but a monster!

5. Amanda December 13, 2013 at 4:35 pm #

That is nothing! Had a friend who had an angora rabbit, the kind you get the hair off of for spinning and knitting. It came time to give him his first trim. All went well until she got around the back end, and realized she might damage some very important parts that were extremely well hidden in all that hair. The people who had sold her the rabbit didn’t answer the phone, so the cutting was stopped until we could find out how to cut the hair but not the rabbit’s, er, pride. The rabbit spent the next day and a half running around the shop looking like he was wearing a gigantic tutu. Luckily angora rabbits are not very bright, so he neither knew nor cared why we were laughing so.

PS I can’t help but think Sky is happier not having to drag all that extra fur around. A half pound of hair is a awfully big load for a dog that weighs less than 5.

• phoebz4 December 13, 2013 at 4:51 pm #

Oh that poor bunny, lol!

6. Nancy Spivey December 13, 2013 at 7:34 pm #

She really does look cuter now!

7. Sara December 14, 2013 at 4:14 am #

Awww. I think she looks even cuter with her hair cut.

8. Marci (@TheMarciFactor) December 15, 2013 at 10:18 am #

OMG that made me really LOL. I’m sure my husband is wondering why I’m laughing all of a sudden, but she is adorable with the haircut!!

9. scottishmomus December 16, 2013 at 3:44 am #

So tiny and vulnerable looking. Who would have believed that under all that hair there was something just quite so small? Very cute. 🙂 x

10. Jessica December 16, 2013 at 2:33 pm #

At least, dogs vision has improved since all that hair was removed. Looks cute.

11. lexiemom December 18, 2013 at 1:13 pm #

I agree with Miriam, she’s SOOOOOO CUUUUTTTEEE!!!!

Growing up, we had a Maltese, another tiny dog with tons of long hair. And it was wavy. It was a nightmare to groom that dog! So, after a couple of years of do-it-yourself, Mom finally broke down & had him professionally groomed. Once we got the “puppy cut” at the groomers–who came to our door, by the way–Mom never did it herself again. Twice a month the grooming van rolled into our drive & our dog got really excited to see them, (Which was REALLY weird, cause he barked at everybody!) But for some reason he really liked being professionally groomed. I guess they were a lot more gentle than we were, and he always looked a lot better, too. It was the short cut, but it looked SOOOOO CUUUUTTEEE!!! 🙂

I miss that tiny fur ball!