Today’s forcast – mood swings with a side of tragedy

11 Jun

Maura’s been sick.  She woke up Sunday with a fever, then promptly threw up her seizure meds. She spent Sunday sleeping on the sofa, feverish and pathetic.

That’s always the sad stage of any illness of Maura’s, when she gets all pathetic.  She does it well, the sweet dear.  This time, it was even more poignant as she couldn’t keep meds down, so she cried because of a headache, and fretted over the spoonful of liquids I was giving her to calm her stomach, worried that something else would cause  more vomiting.

Monday was a turn for the better, and we watched a lot of SpongeBob.

A lot.

We had hit the pathetically cute phase of the illness, where she was finally feeling a bit better to croak out words and gave sad smiles.  Meds were kept down, headache was gone, Sprite was consumed, all was better.

Tuesday, she was much perkier after a good night’s sleep, the fever almost gone. A bit of her usual self was back.

However, we’ve now hit the point where she’s ready to get back into the swing of things, but because of her lack of appetite the past few days, she’s in a low energy phase.

So today is Mood Swing Wednesday.

She was thrilled to go to Starbuck’s with me, then sobbed because I got the wrong muffin.  She wanted to watch “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2”, only to freak when the titles came out because she wanted to watch something else.  So I immediately went back to the Netflix screen, told her to point to what she wanted to watch.

She pointed to “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2”.

Oy.

She cried when I went up to get something, but was all happy again when I got back to her to sit on the couch and watch the movie for the 20th time this week. Then she was irritated I wasn’t sitting in the right spot, only to decided to sit where I was sitting and have me move.

The movie ended.  She sobbed and yelled at the Xbox (it’s an Xbox One, with voice controls that won’t listen to her, much to her dismay.)  Her brother got a new movie going – hooray!  Her brother took the mouse he was using with his laptop from her – tragedy! Sobbing wailing screaming tragedy as her brother went “All I did was take my mouse back.”

I don’t know about her, but I’m exhausted by it all.  And there’s still half a day left to get through.

I’m going to try to soothe the savage beast now with her favorite – mac and cheese.  Hopefully I’ll get it right and she settles down enough so that I can leave her with siblings.  I haven’t been grocery shopping in days, and we’ve run out of food for the teens.  If I don’t get more food, they’re liable to start gnawing on the dogs.

And in an ironic twist of fate –

Remember that EEG that didn’t happen?  That had to be rescheduled?  That took a few weeks to get rescheduled?  It was rescheduled for yesterday.  Needless to say, Monday I had to call and cancel the appointment.  We’re still waiting to hear back from them on the official rescheduling.

Yes, the girl who almost never gets sick, who for all her cognitive issues and epilepsy is quite healthy, got sick at just the wrong point in time.

*sigh*

12 Responses to “Today’s forcast – mood swings with a side of tragedy”

1. Cate Pane: The Clear Parent June 11, 2014 at 3:30 pm #

Love your title! I think you said it all with “Oy.” Very well-written for someone who has been house bound! Here’s to a trip to the grocery store! Cate

2. Charlie June 11, 2014 at 3:52 pm #

I wish I lived near you so I could befriend Maura and give you a break once in awhile. You have my respect and sympathy. I know how hard this is, having had a granddaughter who had similar issues. Please know that you are admired.

3. myownbiblecomments June 11, 2014 at 6:02 pm #

She is now 11.  You may also be hitting pre-puberty hormones.

In the Mother/Daughter program I taught in for several years, the ladies called this “PMS 365”. God bless, Susan

• phoebz4 June 12, 2014 at 11:04 am #

I am in complete denial about puberty and hormones with her. I get enough with the other teens. I’m completely over it! LOL!

• franhunne4u June 12, 2014 at 3:17 pm #

No use denying what IS going to happen …

• phoebz4 June 12, 2014 at 3:32 pm #

shhhhh….

• franhunne4u June 12, 2014 at 3:39 pm #

Rather prepare for it now, while it is still time – you know her ways of thinking and her limits to her ability to understand best – you may as well use the little time you have left to try to “rephrase” what ever talks you had with your older children.

• phoebz4 June 12, 2014 at 3:58 pm #

Her teacher is actually sending me a social stories guide to these things, so we’ll get there. It’s nice that they have such things now!

• franhunne4u June 12, 2014 at 11:09 pm #

Isnt it nice that now even society slowly gets around to the fact that disabled children grow up and have additionally to their extra challenges the normal growing up and hormonal challenges to go through?

You will manage this last puberty as well as the other four you had to go through. (One being your own 😉 )
        In fact children in puberty are a challenge even when there are no disabilities concerned (just read ShesaMaineiac’s last posts about her son coming home from his first puberty class). In this you are not so disentangled from all other parents. Your problems are more complicated, as Maura will need a different approach and will understand less. But you will survive this – both of you. 😉

• franhunne4u June 12, 2014 at 11:15 pm #

Here, just to prove you are not alone in denial-mode …

4. teresamcnally June 12, 2014 at 11:01 am #

Oh oh!

Teresa

• phoebz4 June 12, 2014 at 11:03 am #

We did survive – she hit Loud Happy about 3 pm. That’s when I abandoned her to her siblings so I could get them food 😀