I got nothing

3 Sep

For two days, I’ve been trying to come up with a blog post.  But it seems the children succeeded in destroying all the brain cells over the summer.  My brain is mush.

It’s a bit sad, I had plans on being Productive once children went back to school.  Instead, I’m sitting here in a “Man, I hate waking up this early” coffee fueled haze, thinking of all I should do, and really just wanting to binge-watch something on Netflix.

The tiny dog is enjoying my sluggishness.  We took a lovely nap yesterday (considering I got five hours of sleep because I was worried I’d sleep through two different alarms, so woke up at 5:15 am).

<this blog post was interrupted by a tiny shivering dog, who needed a sweater because the weather switched from Summer to Autumn the day after some woman shaved most of the hair off the tiny dog.  Tiny dog was snuggled, and made a comfy nest of warmth to hang in while the woman contemplates making a tiny dog holder, maybe a sling so the tiny ridiculous one will stop rolling off the woman’s lap as she tries to type>

It is funny how it’s only been one day of school and suddenly we’re on Fall Schedule, weather included.  After a warm and sunny summer, it poured rain yesterday.  There was also thunder and lightning, rare for the PNW.  Maura was quite excited by the thunder.  Zoey (big dog) was not as enamored.  We got to hear the sounds of pine cones hitting the roof and deck as well.

As I was only emotionally prepared for the start of school, I realized yesterday morning that we had none of Maura’s beloved Mac and Cheese for her lunch.  She actually loves all sorts of food but is a stickler about what her main lunch item is.  I somehow conned her into a roast beef sandwich, and was happily surprised to see she ate it.

This morning, she was less than perky, and balked at the idea of any kind of sandwich other than Nutella.  I told her how she can’t have Nutella at school, it would make her friends sick.

It seems Maura could care less about her friends.  Luckily, I care enough for the both of us, and she got jam sandwich instead.  She also hated every snack I put in the box.  Then she turned her nose up at the hot chocolate I made for her that she said she wanted.

The good news is, Wednesdays are early release days, so if she doesn’t eat lunch, she’ll be home by 12:30 and can eat then.

And that there is a snippet of my exciting life.  It’s like having jet lag, without the fun souvenirs and travel tales.

Now, here’s a picture of part of Maura’s outfit today.  Behold the many colors of Maura.  She was quite proud of them all.

10625019_10152346287492513_2746043259851824362_n

7 Responses to “I got nothing”

1. saracvt September 3, 2014 at 12:31 pm #

Ah! So my kids aren’t the only ones who put their shoes on the wrong feet! (This year, I actually wrote “R” and “L” inside their shoes, being tired of telling them that their shoes were on wrong all the time. And then Olivia put her pants on backward this morning and Maddy couldn’t remember how to wear her backpack. REALLY??? Sigh…)

2. franhunne4u September 3, 2014 at 1:12 pm #

Maybe all these girls are just setting a new fashion trend? You need courage to do that.

3. shecrochets September 3, 2014 at 3:52 pm #

Love that her shoes are on the wrong feet. She’s precious, and I hope mornings and lunches get easier.

4. Robin September 4, 2014 at 5:00 am #

Your first day photo is adorable! All the kids where I live wear “individual” outfits like that–she’d fit right in here (VT). Totally hear you on the parent/uninspired thing. Seems like whatever I could write this summer was so parent-focused, and only like once a month. Need to find my own, individual non-mommy brain again, and be back to a regular routine w/writing. I too have been a coffee zombie. Oh, and you are awesome re: the nutella dilemma. I’m a no-nut kid mom and appreciate that concern so much. Have you tried Biscoff w/Maura–that stuff is unbelievable–a little sugary but so delish, no nut–it’s basically crushed Biscoff/Buttery cookies. bet she’d love it as an alternative. My son does cream cheese and jelly, hummus and honey, hummus and bananna, Sunbutter (Sunflower seed) & Jelly…kind of some weird combos but maybe if you experiment together on a sandwich option she’ll be psyched to have something a little different in that lunch box? Good luck with the transition!

• phoebz4 September 4, 2014 at 10:43 am #

The Biscoff idea is great! Sure, sugar, but it’s nice to have an easy option for those rushed mornings! I could probably mix it with some sunbutter to cut the sugar, lol!

And yeah, no sandwich is worth a kid’s life in my book. We can find options. You can’t opt out of allergies!

5. Sara September 4, 2014 at 5:20 am #

Given yourself a break! Binge watch tv, relax, take a nap! There will always be a house to clean and kids to feed.

6. Charlotte Steggz September 7, 2014 at 10:10 am #

I am loving those knee high socks (tights??) Maura is certainly a trend setter – I wish I could pull those off!