A phone feature that will help

22 Dec

I just got an iPhone 6.  It’s big and shiny and in an Otterbox because I like to play it safe.  I’ve been figuring out all the new features on it, and one of them is the health app that comes standard.

Photo Credit - Apple

Photo Credit – Apple

First thing I learned – I’ve been sitting too much lately.  Even though I’m not one to carry my phone around, I’m still not walking enough.

Then I noticed I could add all sorts of information – like what my copper levels are.  Um…okay…

Then I noticed the Medical ID portion – pay attention, this is where it gets everyday useful for me.

In the Medical ID part, I can use it like a medical id bracelet on my phone.  It can be accessed by emergency personnel (or anyone else) if need be via the “emergency” choice below the keypad on the lock screen.  So just like a person can dial 911 even though the phone is locked, one can also grab all the medical information I want to put on there.

So there’s different selections – your name, age, blood type, emergency contacts, allergies, medications, height, weight, medical conditions and medical notes.

This is where I got creative.

In the medical notes part, I put in Maura’s information.  As in “If with an 11 yr old girl, her name is Maura and she has moderate cognitive disabilities and has had epilepsy (though currently in remission” – and then the date.

Why?

Because Maura can’t really talk.  Maura and I go out a lot together.  This way, if for some reason, something happens to me – like say, I pass out at Target and EMS is called – the paramedic will hopefully be savvy enough to find this on my phone and be able to better handle Maura.  It is something that has worried me a bit, and I like to be prepared, so hopefully this will be another useful tool in that belt of preparedness.  Because from the app, a person can directly call one of my emergency contacts, people who Maura knows well,  versus trying to track down someone.

So if you have an iPhone or iPod – or your special needs kiddo has one – do this!  And then spread the word so that in case there is an emergency.  This can help!

To find out more about the Apple Medical ID feature, check out their page – whether or not you use iStuff, check it out.  It could help out a person in need.

7 Responses to “A phone feature that will help”

1. Liz Palika December 22, 2014 at 9:17 pm #

There is also a company called ‘RoadID’ I believe that makes various identification for people and pets. The ID can have enough lines for ICE (In case of emergency) where you can list additional information including people to call. It’s very cool. Does Maura have ID information should she get separated from a family member?

• phoebz4 December 23, 2014 at 12:43 pm #

She has an ID bracelet, but it currently needs to be updated since she’s no longer on meds. Also, she goes through phases where she won’t wear it, so this is a gap filler.

2. Chris December 22, 2014 at 10:11 pm #

Sometimes modern technology is a plus! Good for you.

Sent from my iPad

• franhunne4u December 23, 2014 at 2:18 am #

Just found out yesterday (on a less critical scale than this medical ID) how useful modern technology can be when used appropriately (on a less critical scale than this medical ID). Sister had problems in buying her ticket online to come here for Christmas – so I bought one for her name and sent it via e-mail. 15 years ago she would have had to go to a travel agency and book there. Yes, modern technology CAN help – when used with a brain. And with a credit card sometimes 😉 But of course that was just convenience. Not something as critical as the medical app that helps save lives – and Maura from being abandoned should something happen to her mother.

• phoebz4 December 23, 2014 at 12:45 pm #

It is amazing how technology has exploded, and what my kids will never have to deal with (like rotary phones! lol!)

The best is not having to keep up with your checkbook register. Instead, you pop online, check your balance, know how much you have. No guessing or bad maths involved!

But also, I definitely had Maura at the right time. All the touchscreens in the world has made a difference for her.

3. Sam January 21, 2015 at 1:57 am #

Awesome! i just looked it up and they have it for android too, I downloaded it right away. I hope i never need it, but its good to have it if i ever did.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Friday Links 16th January - Charlotte Steggz - January 16, 2015

[…] love this blog for its window into a world with a child with special needs – and this post on an app that really should exist is something I just had never considered […]