We can’t ever have a tiny house…

26 Jan

Have you heard about the tiny house movement?  Where you can build a teeny little house and live in 200 square feet?  Many people do this so they can own their own place without the tons of debt.

I am fascinated by it all.  I can spend too much time looking at tiny houses on Pinterest.  I love the creativity put into so many of them, how they can take recycled items and turn it into a tiny home.

But the tiny house is not an option for me.

Right now, it’s because I live with that small herd of teens.  Sometimes, our 2000 square feet seems tiny.  But even when the teens flee the nest, I can’t have a tiny house.

Why?

Maura.

We will always need a home for three.  That’s the future we’re planning.  We can’t have a tiny place because they’re all mostly one bedroom, and a sleeping loft at that.  The idea of Maura on a ladder gives me palpitations.  Forget the fact that Maura would have to bring all her stuff with her, her beloved dolls that are her playmates.  Really, a tiny house wouldn’t be enough for just Maura and her dolls.

What I realized though, in a conversation with friends, is that the tiny house movement isn’t for a lot in the disabled community.  It was suggested to friends, and one said “Well, we can’t live in one…” and I knew why.  They aren’t disabled friendly.  They aren’t for those who have motor planning issues, or limited mobility, or need aides to get around.  Forget those sleeping lofts.  If you have days where it’s hard to get out of bed, there’s no way you’re making it down a ladder.

But I still love the idea of a cottagey place, and started looking at small home designs.  Okay, I can’t do tiny, but maybe we could do small?  Except again, Maura.  And the fact we live with her means that I spend so much time hiding stuff from her.  I have visions of having a room of my own, where I can have all my sewing stuff out and ready to use, my paints easily reachable and ready to use, where I can put my files of paper items, works in progress, and not come home to find her scribbling over pages of my writing, having to fight with her over “No, that’s MY notebook!”  “No, you can’t take my pens!”

Yes, a door with a lock…which means more than a little two bedroom with an open living area.

Even then, I think of all the ideas I have for a Maura-friendly home, one where things are more accessible, and a salon-style hair washing sink somewhere either in the bathroom or the utility room.  Which means a bigger bathroom, or bigger utility room – as opposed to a closet with a stackable washer/dryer unit.

And suddenly, even my small house dreams seems a bit unattainable.

Now it’s “Maybe I could have a smallish house, then a studio as well, that room with a lock.”  Yes, because the solution to my small house problem…is two houses?

The good news is, at this rate, I won’t have to worry about downsizing my book collection.  Or my fabulous farmhouse table that can extend to seat ten.  And I have at least five more years to worry about these issues, since I still have a house full of teens.

10 Responses to “We can’t ever have a tiny house…”

1. phxross January 26, 2015 at 2:17 pm #

As a 48 y/o with a knee replacement a tiny house with a loft would never work. I wonder what all those tiny house residents will do when they age or become I’ll. You won’t see many grandparents in tiny home unless it’s got a ground floor sleeping area AND adequate bathroom!

• phoebz4 January 26, 2015 at 3:11 pm #

I have seen one like that – huge bedroom and roomy bath – and a giant screen porch on the front to be an outdoor living space…all on one level.

2. saracvt January 26, 2015 at 5:45 pm #

I admire those who can live in tiny houses, but I would feel too crowded. Eventually I would just lose it. I grew up on a 40-acre ranch, & I like space. It heals my soul.

(BTW, for the first two years of that ranch living, my family of four lived in a one-room, 15′ x 20′ cabin. This family included a daughter with severe CP, wheelchair-bound. It can be done if the whole family makes accommodations.
    Like, looking back, I wonder how in the world my parents had private, marriage moments. Alice & my beds were arranged slap-bang against the foot of theirs. In effect, we slept at their feet. Imagine having an 8 & 10 year-old around ALL THE TIME. So how…?)

• franhunne4u January 27, 2015 at 1:47 am #

Children sleep deep – and they go to school, don’t they?

3. Josephine January 27, 2015 at 6:32 pm #

Two houses …………ha, ha.

C’mon – ‘lets not blame the kid with special needs’ – if your teens are going to have kids and hang around, you are never going to be able to have a tiny house anyway!

You still might be able to have a cottage though. I love cottages. Somehow ended up looking at holiday “cottages” in the UK on the internet (???). I don’t know what their definition of “cottage” is – but there were places that I would rate as mansions (or ‘Manor Houses’), verging on castles!

4. Lori-Anne January 28, 2015 at 4:01 am #

I love those Tiny House shows! I like to think that I could live in one of those out in the woods (with ammenities close by) with my husband….but then I remember that could never happen. We have five kids. Eventually they will move out and get married, and I’m going to want them to come visit with their families, and so we’d always need to have a larger home! Maybe we can have a “tiny house” on our property, just hidden behind out large main house? 🙂 We can go there to hide when we need to!

Oh, and I’ve seen a few houses that the bedrooms weren’t up in lofts. They managed to convert some rooms with beds to an office. These builders and creative!

5. allchildrenbutonegrowup January 28, 2015 at 8:50 am #

Haha, “two houses.” If you can make it work, then by all means! Watch “The Holiday” – Kate Winslet’s little English cottage will ruin you.

6. Sam January 28, 2015 at 11:06 pm #

I, too, am fascinated with the idea of a tiny house but in reality, the noise level alone would kill me. Hubby and I don’t use a lot of stuff, but the kids. I’m not sure how many of our 3 will become independent as adults, and if all three of them do, I don’t think that our current house would even be big enough.

Also, i can’t imagine spending all winter (or if you live in a hot climate like I do, all summer) inside a tiny house and never being more than 20 feet away from the loudest person you’ve ever met, LOL

I”m all about simplifying, but I’m not into the “see how little we can live with” because I did that before and it wasn’t fun. When my first was born we had so little. We had a bed and a crib (that ironically we never used), thrift store clothes, and cloth diapers. We got by. But it was hard. A lot harder than it was for the people who could actually put their baby down in a swing, or who had way less laundry, or who had a car to take their kids to doctors appointments, etc. Less is more, but there is a minimum, and some people just have more real, actual needs than other people do. If i had an “easy baby” or if we found an apartment within walking distance to teh grocery store and the doctors office, or if we found really GREAT quality clothes at the thrift store instead of the worn out, barely serviceable rags we usually found, then we could have lived there much happier, but the ideal rarely ever stands up to reality.