The Longest Day

Yesterday didn’t go well.

Yesterday was full of mood swings.  Some of them caused by eating cupcakes for breakfast before Mom was up.  Some because Mom said no more tv.  Some because we stubbed our toe.  Some because the sky was blue.  Some because a sibling dared to walk into the same room.  Some because because.

But it was a very long day.

I started writing about it on Facebook, in between running around trying to diffuse each situation.

Woke up at 7 am to Maura giggling and watching cartoons on my computer. got dressed, came back out to find her eating a cupcake.

By 9:30 am, I was tired of her being all ADHD on said computer by starting a show, listening to a minute of it, then switching to a new show, then listening to one bit, then switching to another show…

By 10:10 she was sobbing b/c I had disabled the touchscreen feature, so the one show ended, and the mouse wouldn’t work so she threw it, so I said she was done.

10:19 and she’s giggling with her My Little Pony dolls and I’m trying to figure out how to get through the rest of the day with Miss Mood Swing, what with my already supreme crankiness.

Now, usually, she’ll go through a hissy fit and calm down and that’s that.  But not yesterday.  Yesterday, it just kept escalating.

10:35 – she was happily playing downstairs…watching tv…
10:36 – she was screaming b/c I turned off tv.
10:45 – she was happily playing with her dolls in the living room.

11:00 – I caught her in the dining room with a laptop which doesn’t work, trying to make it work.
11:01 – I give up on trying to do anything productive, like laundry or brushing my own teeth, and open a beer.

Yes, this all happened while I was trying to do those regular household things.  No, I did not open a beer.  And not just because there was none in the house.

11:06 – she sets up a laptop and mouse on the ironing board. I tell her no
11:06:10 – screaming fit begins. She slaps my hands away, whacking one of my fingers really well.
11:07 – screaming on stairs (her not me)

11:09 – she’s once again happily playing with dolls.

Let me just state – it’s not normal for her to lash out like that at me.  But I was pointing at the stairs trying to get her into a time out and she was protesting that in her own way.

11:43 – from the bathroom, I hear Maura screaming in a “Go check that out” sort of way (vs a “My will has been thrawted” sort of way) Run out to find her on the stairs, screaming at Mim, yelling at Collin, neither who had done a thing. I think she bent back a toenail in playing. Realize her toenails have grown a bit horribly. Go to trim nails, which leads to her kicking me in the back with the free foot until I clip a tiny bit of toenail. Then she’s all “I DID IT!” and allowed me to trim the other nine.

Then she asked for tv. I said no. She threw her dolls and screamed.

So, exactly when will the neighbors call CPS on me? LOL!

No CPS was called yesterday, despite the screaming.

12:04 – she’s once again playing happily.

At some point, I have to leave and forage for food stuffs. I don’t want to take her with (because Friday, she had a melt down outside the store and I barely convinced her to get dinner there) but I also don’t want to burden the teens with Her Moodswingness.

See teens?  I do care about you too!  Even if you do eat all my food.

12:50 – after slightly trashing my room and being told she couldn’t play in there, Maura happily left said room without screaming. Made my escape to buy more food.

Yes, I was able to leave the house and go shopping for food.  And by “slightly trashing my room”, upon further investigation, she dumped out all the clean laundry of mine that I hadn’t even gotten to think about folding because I was too busy playing referee to her moods, and emptying out half a closet.  At one point, as I checked out of Target with a Cherry Coke and Reeses, the cashier asked if I wanted those left out because he would, haha.  I told the nice young man that yes, I did want them left out, because it was still too early to drink.

I probably wasn’t fit for human consumption at that point.  But I did return home, where nothing was in flames and no one was sobbing.  So, you know, there’s that. I used that time of peace and quiet to actually eat food.

3:26 pm – it’s quiet. Too quiet. Both boys are out. I go to find Maura, and she and Mim are on Maura’s bed, watching My Little Pony on Mim’s school laptop.

I’ll let this slide and enjoy the peace.

3:45 pm – quiet time over, as is the show. Girl now sobbing on me.

3:50 – much howling and dramatic running upstairs to sob in her bed as I turn off the tv

3:59 pm – I’ve told her to go lay down, after screaming, howling, sobbing, biting her hand, stomping her feet, hitting her hand off the stairs in anger and frustration…all over the tv. 

4:01 pm – the sobbing and howling has stopped. Part of me hope she naps, part of me is afraid she will nap because it’s after 4 pm now. Part of me thinks I should check and make sure she’s still breathing…I think I’ll go peek…

4:05 pm – I can hear her doing dramatic reenactions with her dolls in her room.

At this point, I couldn’t even twitch, I was so over it all.  I knew there was more going on than her just being a brat, but since she doesn’t have the ability to explain just what all was going on with her, I got a face full of screaming and mood swings.  You hit this point where you either lose your ever-loving mind, or you get weirdly zen about it all.  I’ve perfected the weirdly zen way thank goodness.  Yes, it would have been easier to just give in and let her have the blasted tv, but it wouldn’t be worth it in the long run.  My persistence paid off instead –

4:49 pm – she has had pizza and another cupcake and is genially playing in her room with her ponies and the dollhouse.

Thank you Jesus.

Okay, the cupcake probably wasn’t the smartest move, but it was after she at a lot of pizza and fruit and other good stuff, and it wasn’t a hill I was ready to die on. And after ALL of that…Maura was back to her old regular self for the rest of the evening.  Even when told no, she didn’t lose her mind, but accepted it.  I tucked her in bed ten minutes early anyway, just to be safe.

And this morning, I happily stuffed her onto the bus and waved good-bye with a big smile before emailing her teacher to warn her of yesterdays moods.  I may even clean up the carnage from yesterday.  Or just sit here drinking coffee and poking about Pinterest and listen to birds chirp outside.