Music Monday – Fight Song

11 Apr

My 15 year old daughter turned me onto this song. We were driving in the car, it came on, she started singing along.

Now I sing along with it.

It seems silly. It seems like a “young person’s” song and I’m too old, at 43, to be singing it. But damn if I haven’t had to keep fighting.

This week, I’ve been fighting anxiety. I’ve been overwhelmed, overemotional, scared, sad, mentally exhausted. But I also had to keep going, keep fighting, keep reminding myself that I could get through this. I’ve gotten through it before, I could get through it again.

And so I did.

This week is already starting off better. The anxiety whirl is fading. I’m making plans. I have things to look forward to. I made the calls I had to make. I didn’t accomplish everything, but the storm didn’t knock me over either.

I’ve still got a lot of fight left in me.

So do you. I swear it. Even if you have to sing a pop tune in your car – belt it out, boost your spirits, and take those baby steps.

You got this.

I got this.

We got this.

13 Responses to “Music Monday – Fight Song”

1. franhunne4u April 11, 2016 at 12:35 pm #

I don’t have a car, but I got a lot of done today, nevertheless … I posted 2 parcels and two big letters (plus all those postcrossing postcards I wrote this morning), I washed one washing machine of clothes, I bought stamps (for more postcards to write), I bought cat litter and cat grass (which has my two in a happy delirium – they had very dry grass on the window sill and needed fresh grass, when I brought it home they were ecstatic – and yes, we are just talking about grass – the same that grows on a lawn!)
    This morning I finally destroyed a chair, an old chair, 54 years old – it was wobbly the last weeks and today one of the legs broke … yes, I am ok. Now I finally have the excuse to spend money on new chairs!

• phoebz4 April 11, 2016 at 12:37 pm #

Well done you! I hate buying stamps, how weird is that?

• franhunne4u April 11, 2016 at 12:42 pm #

Well, I get it for you. Maura in a queue – not a good scenario … CAN work, but may as well not. And to buy some stamps you ALWAYS have to queue.

2. carlaburke April 11, 2016 at 12:48 pm #

I don’t see this as just a young person’s song. Not at all. I’m 52, & have some physical challenges & that can take a mental/emotional toll. I take back my life from my disabilities often – and I’ve still got a lot of fight left in me.
    Own it. Rock it. You’ve got this.

3. Darcy Pennington Arnold April 11, 2016 at 12:50 pm #

OH Phoebe!!!! My ten year old granddaughter, who happens to have DS, turned me on to this song. She learned a cheer to this song with the Jr. Denver Broncos cheerleaders for breast cancer survivors day. I adopted this song as my mantra immediately (and I’m 65:))! I continue to fight anxiety and depression (though it’s harder the past few months with my husband under hospice care) and have for 25 years. You give me the courage to continue the fight each time you admit to having a tough week. I don’t feel alone! So, thank you my friend – 😊

4. saracvt April 11, 2016 at 3:41 pm #

It’s already on my playlist. And, yes, my teen daughter turned me on to it, but so?

5. Laurie Ann Thompson April 11, 2016 at 6:29 pm #

Oh, yeah. I have a whole playlist, called Writing Inspiration, but it’s really life inspiration. In addition to Fight Song, there’s Roar by Katy Perry, Brave by Sara Bareilles, Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield, Superwoman by Alicia Keys, Stronger by Kelly Clarkson, Try by Pink. (Perhaps we should all pause for a minute to ponder why it’s mostly women writing and listening to these kinds of songs?) And for every rejection (or other major downer event), this one must always be played at max volume: http://youtu.be/2H5uWRjFsGc

• saracvt April 11, 2016 at 6:45 pm #

My playlist is like that and has all those songs (you have good taste!) but it’s called “War”, for the one I fight daily against clinical depression.

• Laurie Ann Thompson April 18, 2016 at 11:56 am #

Yes, music can be great for that, too! I heard Firework by Katy Perry on the radio last week and realized I forgot to include it on my list here, but it’s definitely a good one. Hang in there!

• phoebz4 April 18, 2016 at 12:15 pm #

Maura loves that one (because of Madagascar 3) so it’s on our playlist as well.

6. Scarlett79 April 11, 2016 at 9:50 pm #

How else do you stay young !! That is how, singing and singing loud like no one is there listening. It’s just you. I love to sing and I sing every song I can ❤ That's a great song to sing. I'll remember it, love ya. Remember without a song, a day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend. Without a song. So I keep singing a song…Elvis Presley

7. Laura April 12, 2016 at 5:04 pm #

I hope you know how much you help us by sharing your life with us. I hope you feel the good energy we send you. Thank you.

• phoebz4 April 13, 2016 at 11:43 am #