And then, I fulfilled my mermaid hair dreams

13 Apr

I love color. I love color so very much. Even though I currently live with white walls because rental, I find ways of inserting color into my world. Blue loveseats, a dark green sofa, a spring green cabinet, throw pillows of peacock colors.

And yet, when it comes to my person, I’ve always played it safe. I once accidentally dyed my hair (I thought it was just a temporary dye…oops) and have used Lush henna on my hair, but otherwise, I’ve been pretty darn content with my brunette status.

Meanwhile, I keep seeing amazing hair colors. I’m not talking a nice ombre from dark blonde to light blonde. No, I’m talking galaxy hair, denim hair, friends getting pink and green stripes in their hair. And I was secretly jealous while outwardly fawning over their pretty hair. I pinned hair pictures like this on Pinterest –

photo credit unknown

photo credit unknown but isn’t she gorgeous?

I would look at stuff like that and say “Gee, if I was 20…”

But my time had passed, right? I mean, I’m a mom in her 40’s, living in a suburb. I can’t have weird color hair, right?

Except I wanted it.

I made deals with myself – “When you lose X amount of weight, you can dye your hair something fun.”

But I didn’t lose the weight and I just kept ageing.

“Maybe I could just do one stripe. Slightly hidden. That will be acceptable, right?”

Then I saw a friend’s curls with pink and blue touches and it was perfection on her. I saw someone else go all out on her hair with five different colors and it turned out amazing. And I realized I was tired of talking about doing something fun with my hair, and I was still not getting any younger.

So I found a salon.

I made a consultation appointment.

Then I made a real appointment.

Then I waffled and worried – it was too silly, it cost too much, there were more important things to worry about and take care of. I told my husband as such.

“No, you need to do something for you. You’re not breaking the appointment.”

So I went. Armed with pictures and posting updates for my friends as I sat in this salon in Seattle as my stylist bayalaged my hair, then mixed up the dye. He showed me the color. I may have gasped. “Yes, that’s perfect!” I said.

He painted it on, and we waited. He rinsed it out of my hair, and began styling it. He sat me under one of those big hood dryers as I stared at the ends of my hair. Another woman came in, his next appointment – she looked around my age, and was looking at that light pink color. “Will it work with my curls?” she said. The stylist pointed to me. “We just did hers, look.”

They came over and she took one look at my hair and said “Oh that’s gorgeous.”Β I hadn’t even gotten a full view of it yet, but her words were instantly reassuring.

When I got back to the mirror, I couldn’t help but beam at my reflection. The stylist asked what I thought.

“It’s perfect!” I gushed. Because it was. It was just exactly what I wanted. It couldn’t have gone any better. I could barely drive home because I kept glancing at my hair in the mirror and grinning.

13001284_10153472999962513_4248058597296074216_n

I walked into the house, and Maura came up to me. “Ooooo.” she said, reaching for my hair. “Greeeeen.”

Then she grabbed her hair. “My hair?”

“You want green hair too?” I asked.

“Blue!” she announced.

I may have bounced up and down like an eight year old girl when I showed my husband my hair. It was that exciting to me. I think he liked the big grin on my face more than my hair, but he likes my hair. My oldest barely noticed, because he’s used to Mom doing weird things. The other boy went “You’re hair…it’s blue/green.” and then looked for something for dinner. Because boys.

It’s weird. I mean, it’s just hair, and I’ve always liked my hair. I’ve always liked the color, I loved when it started to curl. But this? This makes me want to step up my self-care game in so many ways. My hair is freaking inspirational. I feel like I can conquer so much with this hair (maybe not the laundry pile, I know my limits.) But it makes me want to take better care of myself. I want the rest of me to feel as good as my hair.

Hair shouldn’t be this life changing. Then again, I’ve never had hair like this before. Sure, it could all be a mid-life crisis in the brewing – new car, new hair – but I’d like to think I’m mid-life crisis-ing with flair. Or maybe I’m reminding myself that I’m really not that old still, even if I sometimes feel old.

I’m still trying to get used to my reflection, but in a good way. Right now, one teal curl is hanging in front of my glasses, and it makes me smile. I have mermaid hair. How fun is that?

12998559_10153473049667513_2944245515497171872_n

Have you wanted to do something but were hesitating? Why keep hesitating? We only have one life, live it to the fullest, or at least most colorful πŸ˜‰

15 Responses to “And then, I fulfilled my mermaid hair dreams”

1. jnnfrsr67 April 13, 2016 at 12:47 pm #

I must say – I love your hair!

2. franhunne4u April 13, 2016 at 12:54 pm #

Yes, I have wanted to do things and put them off – and then I read a very sad story once upon a time:

A widower cleaned out the closet of his late wife with the help of a female friend. They came upon a not used pair of beautiful lace knickers, which were unworn. The man looked at them sadly and said: “I gave these to my wife some time ago and she kept them for a special occasion. That special occasion never came – and now she is dead.”

Don’t let your life go to waste like those pair of knickers – make good use of it. Daily. Live it. Now. You never now if that special occasion will ever come up.

3. Darcy Pennington Arnold April 13, 2016 at 1:08 pm #

OMG, Phoebe; YOU ARE MY HEROINE!!! I have wanted purple hair forever, but I’m 65 – too old, right? I went to a LuLaRue party over the weekend and bought myself a pair of tights and a long tunic. I almost did not buy it (when my 41 year old daughter said it looked like the 60’s) but another young woman (younger than my daughter) gushed about how great it looked.

I’m going to get my hair colored (not just the gray roots) because you gave me courage! Thank you & LOVE YOUR HAIR!!

• phoebz4 April 13, 2016 at 1:14 pm #

DO IT! Find the shade that’s right for you and do it! Then show me pictures πŸ˜€

4. Renee Anne April 13, 2016 at 1:33 pm #

I keep trying to decide what color to dye my hair. I’ve been going with various, commercial shades of red. It’s okay but I’m getting tired of red. The problem is that my natural hair color is your standard medium-brown so almost anything I’d want to do will require bleaching out some of my hair, which will just make it orange, which I don’t want….

Then again, I’ve also contemplated shaving everything off and starting over. I’ve no idea what my hair will do, how many grey hairs I have hiding, or if all that natural curl my hair seems to have is really natural curl or something weird my hair does as a result of having it yanked up and out of my face so often.

Also, I’ve not been to a professional stylist in 4 years (aside from the Cost Cutters to have my hairs cut). I wouldn’t even know where to start around here.

• phoebz4 April 13, 2016 at 1:46 pm #

I totally trolled Yelp to find the salon I chose. Their reviews and Instagram totally sold me on them.

5. One Mile Smile April 13, 2016 at 1:37 pm #

This is great! Good for you! As I get older, I realize more and more that there is never a perfect time and place for everything. In order to make yourself happy, do what makes you happy! Love how it looks! Fun.

6. clairemccain April 13, 2016 at 2:12 pm #

Love, love, love the hair color! It looks fantastic on you!

7. saracvt April 13, 2016 at 2:16 pm #

You know, I’m actually fine with naturally red-brown hair, but….

I have long wanted to get two tattoos, one of the TARDIS & one of The Right Hand Of Doom (Hellboy). But I keep putting it off. Maybe I will.

8. Jackieo April 13, 2016 at 2:57 pm #

I love it! So proud of u…. I’ve always wanted a tattoo…πŸ˜ƒ

9. samwassel April 14, 2016 at 6:26 am #

I LOVE THIS! I do fun colors too. It’s my aesthetic treat to myself since I don’t really buy nice clothes or get my hair styled often. You rock it! I’m actually wanting something similar next.

10. pearliejqueen April 14, 2016 at 6:42 am #

Awesome,awesome hair!!!

11. Tracie Canterbury Guresh April 14, 2016 at 10:32 am #

Looks beautiful Phoebe!!! I went back and forth too…felt maybe I was not young enough (mid 40’s) BUT I went Magenta last year and dont want to look back!!! I even had a 60ish lady tell me she loved it yesterday (as well as the younger generation) πŸ™‚ It is sooooo empowering isnt it??! I hope the fad doesn’t pass anytime soon!!

12. Sarai April 14, 2016 at 2:07 pm #

Very timely post for me… I’ve been wanting to do something fun with my hair for awhile. I have light blond super straight hair though, and I worry that the deep cool colors I love will look too jarring on blonde.
    I really should just do my research and find a good salon here so that I can get a professional opinion.

13. judyenaz April 15, 2016 at 6:32 am #

Stunning! I did bright purple for my birthday in March. Had it stripped and everything to show up bright! Lots of purple transferred on towels and pillow cases! Totally worth it.