25 Apr

Yet, here we are. Because while all the humans Maura and I encounter in our world have voicelessly proven to be awesome, there are those who have a wider audience who just fail at being decent human beings.

I’m still giving you a side eye Steve Harvey.

But now, thanks to Ellen over at Love That Max, I have been alerted to yet another comedian who thinks it’s okay to tell “retard” jokes.

For like…five minutes.

It felt longer.

Here, go to Ellen’s page, she has the video – I can wait. Just click here…

Did you get through it? Because I couldn’t. It just made me sad.

I know NOTING about this dude, Chris Owen. All I know of his comedy is now in this five minute verbal vomit of “retard” jokes. I am not impressed.

But what got to me? Was when he was all “OH, but it’s OKAY because she’s my cousin! I love her! So I can make jokes about her!”

Um.

Listen up Chris. I get it. You’re playing up the whole Southern Boy thing. However, my in-laws? All 39547 of them? They’re all good Southern people. And every one of them – EVERY ONE – would be horrified if you talked about my child the way you talk about your cousin. They’d be picking out a spot behind the woodshed to show you. Nobody talks about their cousin like that – not even another cousin.

Do you know how my Southern relatives treat Maura? With love and respect. She is a full fledged member of the family just like everyone else who steps into the room. Which is why I’m doubly-pissed at you Chris. Not only do you tell these jokes at your cousin’s expense…but you boost the stereotype of the ignorant Southern person.

You have managed to insult a whole lot of people I love.

I am not happy with you.

But bless your heart, you thought you were being funny. Now go sit in the corner for a while with Steve Harvey, m’kay?

8 Responses to “It’s Monday morning, it is WAY too early to have to bring out the pitchforks and torches”

1. Darcy Pennington Arnold April 25, 2016 at 12:47 pm #

Phoebe, can’t watch it – I trust you enough to simply forward this.

2. autismcuppa April 25, 2016 at 1:53 pm #

Can’t watch it, either, because My Kiddo’s cousins (one family of cousins….the rest would fight to the death for Kiddo) are like that and we’re not even from the South. Talking about retards IN MY HOUSE as I’m preparing Thanksgiving dinner, one Nasty Piece of Work tried to explain why he didn’t mean anything by it. My Mother-in-Law told me to overlook NPoW because he never understood why it was hurtful to begin with…eventho I tried to explain it to them, to their parents and everyone who’ll listen ALL THE TIME why it’s hurtful. For years. My Kiddo is 36 and NPoW is 29….this ain’t new news, folks!

Can’t fix stupid is all I’ve gotta say. And Steve Hardy too? Sheesh!

3. franhunne4u April 25, 2016 at 2:00 pm #

Not wanting to defend this person – you do not make jokes about disabilities, full stop.
    But could it be there is not even a cousin – this person has made up a cousin so he could make jokes about disabilities?

• phoebz4 April 25, 2016 at 2:06 pm #

That is possible. That is totally possible. But the whole “I can make jokes because family!” then is almost worse. Because there will be people who do believe he has a disabled cousin, and well, if it’s okay for him to joke about it, it’s okay for them to make jokes too.

4. Millie April 25, 2016 at 4:10 pm #

Thank you always for articulating so well that comedy does not make it okay to disregard the basic human dignity of every single person. (And I think that NOTING should be NOTHING, but maybe you want it that way?)

5. Renee Anne April 25, 2016 at 9:10 pm #

::sigh:: Can’t fix stupid, unfortunately. Also, I read right through your “bless your heart” sentence. Personally, I would have told him to GTFO (in a metaphorical sense because he’s not right in front of me)….but that’s part of my Scottish temperament.

6. Margot April 26, 2016 at 3:05 am #

I have watched half of it. People tell jokes about everything. And we laugh but there is a line you don’t cross and perhaps that line is different for everyone but this person crossed mine. I have a great loving cousin and she is a person who accepts everyone as he or she is. So why can’t we (people in general) do the same. everyone is a person and as such deserves to be treated with respect.i am dutch and writing in Englisch is not common to me and therefor i read your posts but I generally don’t post a comment. But i could not let this slide. This really hurt. I believe that people often don’t get that they are hurting with words (and this “performance” is in a diffrent category i hate) so ik do what i can by telling people like you taught me even more through your blog.