Speaking of 20 yr old’s trying to make me feel old..

25 May

Why I don’t need little girls on the internet telling me I’m too old for stuff is because I have my own crew, right here in the house, reminding me daily that, indeed, I’m no longer 29.

(This is where my fifteen year old would say “You still look 29 Mom” and I say “Thank you, my favorite child”. Because one should always be gracious in accepting compliments.)

So today’s latest installment of The Age Gap between Mom and Kids…

We have a safe for medications, because Maura. It’s a keypad entry, four numbers and the pound sign. Collin, the newly minted 20 year old, needed something out of there.

“What’s the code for that again?”

I tell him the numbers and say “and then hit the pound sign.”

“What?”

Assuming he didn’t hear me, I repeat – these four numbers and the pound sign.

“Pound sign?”

sigh.

“Hashtag.” I said, as more grey hairs burst forth from my scalp.

“OH! Okay.”

Yes kids, in my day, we used to call that the pound sign. We also had phones that were attached to the wall, our music had to be bought, and cars didn’t fly.

img_9665

8 Responses to “Speaking of 20 yr old’s trying to make me feel old..”

1. Scarlett79 May 25, 2016 at 10:06 am #

And curfew was when the street lights came on ❤ Blessings I'm that old too !!!

2. saracvt May 25, 2016 at 10:27 am #

The other day, Youngest asked me, “What were movies like when you were a kid, Mom?” I replied that they were pretty much like they are now (I didn’t want to go into how special effects have improved–I didn’t have the energy just then). She then says, “Oh! They weren’t black & white?”

JUST HOW OLD DO YOU THINK I AM, ANYWAY?!?

There’s still a payphone set into the wall at our local mall, & once I showed it to the girls & asked them what they thought it was. They had no clue, & when I said “A phone,” they looked at me as though I was crazy.

Yes, I am, but–sigh–not for that reason.

3. Renee Anne May 25, 2016 at 1:13 pm #

We still don’t have cars that fly, honey.

Also, don’t forget: we called it a pound sign and we played tic-tac-toe on that shit!

4. Lene May 28, 2016 at 6:48 am #

I absolutely adore how you write. Thankfully I’m a geek and share this with my favourite nephiew. Love the others to bits too, but this one is a geek, like me, so we connect on anything tech based =) He does however give me experiences like the one above. He actually asked me if we had cars when I was young… Cheeky s.o.b. is lucky to be alive 😉

5. Bobette May 28, 2016 at 10:36 am #

Really, why would you even read that shite from someone who doesn’t have a right to an opinion because they haven’t lived yet?

6. Rachel Swann May 29, 2016 at 9:50 am #

Love your blog but I’m in the UK and I’ve never understood why you call it the pound sign. Here that looks like this: £ and this: # – is a hash – hence the name hashtag.

• Joseph Red May 31, 2016 at 9:33 am #

I believe it’s because # is used as an abbreviation for lbs, which is an abbreviation for the weight pound. Of course, lbs doesn’t make much sense, either…

• phoebz4 May 31, 2016 at 9:42 am #

Let’s just embrace it as a weird retro American thing, lol