About “Me Before You”

1 Jun

THERE WILL BE SPOILERS! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

So, I read. I read a lot. A LOT. I love to read. And one of the perks of living in Ireland for a while was I was introduced to authors on that side of the pond who hadn’t quite made it over to the American market.

And that’s where I discovered JoJo Moyes, in the form of the book “The Girl You Left Behind”.  It was decent enough that I picked up another book by her – “Me Before You”.

Yes, I read the book.

No, I would not recommend it.

In fact, my book club keeps bringing it up (as we read another book by Moyes “One Plus One” – which was okay) and every time it’s brought up, I have a sort of “OH GOD NO I HATED IT!” but slightly more subdued reaction.

When I saw there was a sequel to the book, I may have said “You’re freaking kidding me!” in the store, at the book, out loud. Because I have no inside voice.

Why did I hate it? For so many reasons, but especially the ending. The “Here, let me let you watch them fall in love but he’s just going to still kill himself at the end because even love won’t make his poor disabled life worth living, and isn’t it great she got all his money and can travel to Paris to reflect on how great her life is now?” This post actually fleshes out better my feelings about the book.

So no, I’m not seeing the movie. Nope nope nope. Nada.

It’s not that Moyes is a bad writer – no, I will give her props – her writing is good. I just don’t like all the stories she tells.

Meanwhile, I came across this video today, in a post by Ellen Stumbo about the movie – and it was so much of everything, so necessary for me to share, that I’m giving the gal her own spot. So please, listen to Annie Elainey and what she has to say from an actually disabled person’s point of view.

Because we need to listen to the people who are actually disabled.

8 Responses to “About “Me Before You””

1. Jenn June 1, 2016 at 1:28 pm #

Thanks for the review. The previews make it look like such a great love story but now hearing the ending I am not putting it on my “must see” list.

• Just a Gurrl June 1, 2016 at 7:07 pm #

Ditto! Damn, I wanted to see these two together, too, but not like that!

2. AnneMarie June 1, 2016 at 1:56 pm #

Thank you for this! And for the awesome video link. Before this week, I had seen glimpses of the trailer here and there, and just thought it was a semi-cute chick flick thing. So, I’ve been pretty horrified to hear about the actual messages and themes in the movie. On the level of the suicide message, it’s incredibly sad, but hearing about it in regards to portrayal of disabilities (something that admittedly I don’t think about much) makes it even worse!

3. Charlie Shotsky June 1, 2016 at 2:20 pm #

Phoebe, you know I’m a fan. And I’ve read this book. I was disappointed that the young man chose to end his life. But, on the other hand, not everyone has the same experience with nor response to disabilities. And their viewpoint deserves to be told as well. It does negate your view (which I admire) but it still deserves to be told. I realize you also get to choose your own opinion of the book, but I don’t think it should totally dismiss the value of the writer’s works, just because you didn’t like it. Hopefully others will see/read the story as well and give their opinion. I’d be interested in eharing it.

• phoebz4 June 1, 2016 at 4:15 pm #

It’s okay, I don’t mind respectful disagreeing!

The writer is a good writer – I’ve read three of her books and have no issue with her writing. This one just fell flat for me and for a while, I couldn’t figure out why. The one blog post really cleared things up for me, which is why I wanted to share it.

I also loathed “The Time Traveler’s Wife” and am certain there’s a plot hole in there but to find it, I’d have to re-read it and I can’t because I threw the book away – lol!

Hi, I’m Phoebe and I take my books seriously 😉

4. Laura June 1, 2016 at 7:11 pm #

I have read the book and I agree with Phoebe. JoJo Moyes is a good writer. But I had a completely different take on the book. I thought the character, Will Traynor, ended his life in large part because of his pain and the lack of pain control that was available to him. Admittedly, I have dealt with pain for most of my life so I may have read the book through a different lens. Perhaps I should go back and read it again.

5. Laura June 1, 2016 at 7:13 pm #

And Phoebe, I once threw a book across the room after spending two weeks reading non-stop only to find that it was a “to be continued”. I feel your pain!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. #liveboldly – what does that even mean? | Herding Cats - June 3, 2016

[…] I’ve shared my feelings about “Me Before You” in a previous post. But did I mention the hashtag some brilliant person in the social media […]