26 Aug

The good news is, it’s been three days and I’ve yet to see any hooded figures. Well, outside of the normal hooded figures that wander through the house eating food (aka, the resident teenagers.)

Miriam and I <heart> the podcast “Welcome to Night Vale” almost as much as Cecil <hearts> Carlos…perfect Carlos…with his perfect hair…

Not everyone has perfect hair like Carlos, so I made Miriam a Night Vale hat as a last-minute birthday present. Because I knit, and I’m crafty, and I procrastinate.

My friend, NotaJen, helped me with figuring out how to make a Night Vale themed hat quickly and easily. She shared the secrets of the duplicate stitch with me, and after three days of furious knitting, I had a finish product for the birthday girl.

14141575_10153751122772513_4595421068566665450_n

How did I do this?

Materials?

Cascade Superwash Aran yarn in Splatter Lilacs, Black, and Amethyst for the stripes, and then Amethyst, Splatter Lilac, and White for the Night Vale design.

size 6US and 7 US circular needles (the pattern called for 6 and 8 but I didn’t have a handy size 8, so winged it.)

I followed this pattern for the hat – Stashbusting Helix Hat (will totally make more of these because it’s a super easy pattern!)

I used the chart from this pattern to do the cloud eye/moon Night Vale design – Night Vale Winter Hat

Both were originally found on Ravelry.

I do think somewhere along the way, I goofed on the Helix pattern and hence why there’s a black/amethyst/black band…but I then also inadvertently put the design across it. So it sort of works. And hey, nothing says “Made with LOVE” like an oops, right?

The main thing is, the girl is happy with it.

Now I have to make Maura a hat with a My Little Pony cutie mark. Because she wants a hat now too.

8 Responses to “I made a Night Vale hat, and I’m not sure if it’s sanctioned by the Sheriff’s Secret Police”

1. franhunne4u August 26, 2016 at 10:42 am #

Doesn’t Maura have to learn that presents come with a birthday and her birthday is not her sister’s birthday?

• Herding Cats August 26, 2016 at 12:37 pm #

Maura gets it for the most part. It was actually the next day, as Mim went to wear a different hat, and Maura was all “I want a hat!”, and I had already started a new hat on the needles so offered to make her a “cutie mark” hat.

Now she’s learning to be patient while Mom takes the time to knit said hat. LOL!

• franhunne4u August 26, 2016 at 2:03 pm #

But aren’t you a downgrading your birthday present to Mim when you make one for Maura just so without her birthday? Not that Mim will not understand that her little sister wants a hat …

• Herding Cats August 26, 2016 at 2:39 pm #

No. I made Mim several hats last winter just because she likes to wear hats and I like to knit.

Maura’s is a much simpler design as well. Mim’s was a bit more intricate.

• franhunne4u August 26, 2016 at 2:42 pm #

Please, do not feel offended, I was just wondering. Not reproaching you for doing nice things for your daughters!

• Herding Cats August 26, 2016 at 3:00 pm #

Totally not! Our life sometimes needs extra explaining 🙂

2. bluerosegirl08 August 27, 2016 at 3:54 pm #

I am now listening to Welcome to Night Vale on Soundcloud…..wow. So awesome…..It reminds me of the old radio serials…I love this thanks for helping me find it!

• Herding Cats August 27, 2016 at 4:15 pm #

You’re welcome! It’s brilliant, isn’t it?